Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Starfleet Veteran
Let's start positive, love the Vesta class. Best zen i ever spent. 10/10 for the art guys with the aventine

However. 80% Of my STF deaths are due to the borgs plasma fire, Hell i've had several instances where i have had FULL Shields, get hit by a plasma torp at 70% hull and 2 mins later i'm saying my goodbyes.

Here's my layout for reference, or any suggestions on improvements : http://i.imgur.com/Qi8VX.jpg

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm aware it's a science ship and their hulls are known for being made of paper, but having full shields and loosing half my health to plasma fire is a wee bit silly...
Commander
# 2
11-17-2012, 05:11 AM
Lol well you could start with taking at least 1 copy of hazard emitters to remove the fire debuff. That would probably help

Though to be honest there is so much wrong with your current setup I don't know where to begin.

Last edited by seekerkorhil; 11-17-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-17-2012, 05:25 AM
You really need hazard emitters, you have sci team, eng and tac team which all share a cooldown so I'd drop sci team and replace it with transfer shield strentgh... you're running on a balanced power setting which... wait is this post for real?
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
11-17-2012, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
Lol well you could start with taking at least 1 copy of hazard emitters to remove the fire debuff. That would probably help

Though to be honest there is so much wrong with your current setup I don't know where to begin.

I didn't even know that did that XD But i shall look into that.

Oh please, suggestions are welcome. But don't tell me to get rid of my torpedos, because they are beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by defalus View Post
You really need hazard emitters, you have sci team, eng and tac team which all share a cooldown so I'd drop sci team and replace it with transfer shield strentgh... you're running on a balanced power setting which... wait is this post for real?
The Cannons the Vesta comes with are AUX powered, so i balanced out my stuff, so nothings short of power. At least, that's what some other people who had them told me to do in zone chat!
Captain
# 5
11-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latiasracer View Post
I didn't even know that did that XD But i shall look into that.

Oh please, suggestions are welcome. But don't tell me to get rid of my torpedos, because they are beautiful!

The Cannons the Vesta comes with are AUX powered, so i balanced out my stuff, so nothings short of power. At least, that's what some other people who had them told me to do in zone chat!
For a start, route engine power to one of your other systems, probably aux.

Then, find some stuff to boost your power. Respec may or may not be required.

You see, you DO NOT need engines. But you DO need shields, you do need weapons, and being a sci ship with aux-powered cannons, you do need auxiliary power.

Speaking of which, are those cannons affected by auxiliary power? That is to say, is their damage based on that or on weapon power?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
11-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
For a start, route engine power to one of your other systems, probably aux.

Then, find some stuff to boost your power. Respec may or may not be required.
Oh right, like consoles?

And i'm respeccing soon, to make my quantum phaser cannon actually a weapon, rather than a crappy lightshow the like the heavy graviton beam... What thing should i prioritise on?

And the AUX cannons dmg is affected by the aux power levels, like the Quantum phaser cannon.

Last edited by latiasracer; 11-17-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Replying to your edit:P
Empire Veteran
# 7
11-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Actually you do need engine power, speed = defense = more chance your enemy will miss you, low engine power lowers your defence so you'll be more prone to being hit by critical hits too. As for shield power if you carry two emg pwr to shields buffs you can cycle them back to back for permanent up time which offers power and resistance at the same time.

You need to decide if you want beams or cannons, you're only packing one DHC so that cannon rapid fire is imo wasted, speaking if that DHC can you fit 2 or 3 of the aux powered DHC on one ship?

Also posting a screenie of your skill set up or writing out your skills so we can see what you have would help people give better suggestions, no point me saying attack patterns if you're not specced for them.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
11-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defalus View Post
Actually you do need engine power, speed = defense = more chance your enemy will miss you, low engine power lowers your defence so you'll be more prone to being hit by critical hits too. As for shield power if you carry two emg pwr to shields buffs you can cycle them back to back for permanent up time which offers power and resistance at the same time.

You need to decide if you want beams or cannons, you're only packing one DHC so that cannon rapid fire is imo wasted, speaking if that DHC can you fit 2 or 3 of the aux powered DHC on one ship?

Also posting a screenie of your skill set up or writing out your skills so we can see what you have would help people give better suggestions, no point me saying attack patterns if you're not specced for them.

Alright, will do when i'm done with my dailies.

And i think you can, but i didn't get the vesta 3 pack so, i only got one of the cannons.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
11-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Seems like someone might have misled you a bit. I'm not sure if you're aware that you can create custom power levels, but that would be the optimal choice, and then save them to the particular slot (such as the defeault Aux power setting having the secondary boost going to shields or weapons instead of engines). The way you would do that is to pick the power that you want to change, such as the Aux setting, and then clicking the 3 rectangle symbol and choosing the third option. You'll now have an interface where you can move the power levels up and down by 5 points at a time. You can click the lock/unlock buttons at the top of a power level to keep that particular one as you like while you alter the others. When you get it where you want it, hit the symbol that looks like a floppy disk to save it. Rinse and repeat if you want to change the others to a more optimized level.

For gear and BOFF abilities, I'd suggest a streamlined overhaul. You have a lot of different weapon types and consoles slotted. For the Fore weapons, I'd switch that cannon to a dual beam bank and the cannon rapid fire to another beam power, or vice versa. For rear, I'd suggest either mines (and a mine dispersal ability), another beam array, or change them all to turrets, depending on how much you're turning. You can keep the Fore torpedo if you want, but personally I'd go all cannons. I do like chroniton for the slowing effect, but a higher dps type might not be a bad idea. As another suggestion, I'd slot another Emergency Power to Shields.

On Science consoles, the % shield boosting kind are probably what you should slot the most of, but the shield regen one might not be a bad idea. The emitters and biofunction consoles aren't of much use to you, the biofunction console is essentially like a SIF console that goes in a science slot, and the plasma fire makes that fairly worthless since it wipes out crew quickly. For tactical, I'd re-slot the torpedo and beam console for more phaser consoles. Engineering is standard, but the hull is pretty weak as is, if I wanted to go all out, I'd put the universal console here.

If you're not having the auto-fire bug, I'd also set everything but torps to auto-fire by right-clicking them in the weapon tray. I know some people dislike auto-firing, but managing 6-8 weapons isn't that great to me.

Not wanting to push you into a cookie cutter build, but if you're running STFs I'd change at least for those runs.
Career Officer
# 10
11-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latiasracer View Post
And i think you can, but i didn't get the vesta 3 pack so, i only got one of the cannons.
you can dismiss your aventine and re-claim it 2 times (make sure all your gear is off-board on dismiss), to get another 2 aux-guns.

suggestion for weapons:
swap out that front torp.
also those tac-consoles should all be blue-mkxi-phaser-relays. last (referring to weapons) is: pack 2 phaser turrets in the rear (if you want that torp to stay, let it in. better pick a minelauncher) and run your powerlevels with full aux.

other suggestions:
(already was mentioned: ) hazard ermitters, transfer shield strength
2 tac-teams (or 1, buffed by 2 purple con-doffs)

Klink: House of Beautiful - J'Luc / Rommie: Lag Industries - D'Waste
Join Date Hoster: Dec 2011 - Join Date Symbiont: 1403 A.D. and not a dull moment
PLZ ADD MARKS-TO-CHOOSE PACKS AND AFK/LEAVER PENALTY TO PVP PUBLIC QUES (not privates!)
AND DON'T TOUCH OUR DIL!!!

Last edited by wast33; 11-17-2012 at 06:28 AM.