Career Officer
# 1 T1 Rep Cutscene (Spoiler Lite)
11-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Interesting.

I wonder if it will make sense who left this message for us as I can't see anyone benefiting from leaking it.

That said, the weirdness of emote-based acting aside (not that it isn't Trek; see Shatner), I really liked this one.

Pretty good dialogue. Good background lore but I don't think the LORE for STO was ever a HUGE problem outside the lack of it impacting the game.

I'll tell you what I do really like, though:

D'Tan is well voiced. He doesn't sound like someone who's constipated or trying for a silly voice, which too many game actors do. (Whoever's captaining the Houston in Hive Onslaught needs to eat more fiber. But I won't harp because whoever voiced the Queen is absolutely breathtaking and is ALMOST as pitch perfect as Alice Krige's Queen voice. Gives me hope I'll get to voice Odo someday.)

I like the discussion. It seems mostly believable. The Spock namedrop seems a bit forced but ONLY a bit coming from D'Tan.

What I really like are the beginning and end, oddly enough. D'Tan's assistant asking if he's hungry. Using the computer database. They feel like authentic beginings and ends to the scene. Probably the first time in STO, outside of loot drops and mission fetch objectives, that we got any indication that the characters have a full life off camera. I was talking with Fleeties about Secret World last night and places where STO doesn't sync for us... and while this doesn't rise to the level of Lt. Andy's mourning for his drowned cats or the wonderful eccentricty characters in TSW have, it's welcome and deserves praise that we're seeing characters show some humanity, who have interests and ideas that go beyond whatever the mission objectives are.

It's baby step (we'd probably need Jack from the augment group to have the level of quirkiness that TSW characters have) but I'll applaud that two second opening for being the first time we've really seen STO characters digress in an immersion enhancing way. As minor as it is (and it is VERY minor), I can see it being there deliberately because that kind of thing isn't in many places in STO at all and never in a cutscene. (Aside from Morn's lovely story at the DS9 bar. But that's recent, so I'm hoping it's a trend.)

Also, props for making the cutscene replayable and placing it OUT of combat so that I can let it sink in rather than during in combat in a place where I'd probably get killed or tie my team up if I didn't hit escape.
Career Officer
# 2
11-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
11-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Quote:
I wonder if it will make sense who left this message for us as I can't see anyone benefiting from leaking it.
D'tan himself could benefit. He's notifying his benefactors that there is a competing offer on the table and if they don't step up support he may not be able to refuse it forever.

And of course if the Tal Shiar can breach his security so easily that an apparently unarmed agent can get into his office undetected, he can't just fire off a broadcast to all the supporting ships in the area. He wants to leave the subterfuge behind him, but it's uses still aren't lost on him.
Career Officer
# 4
11-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
D'tan himself could benefit. He's notifying his benefactors that there is a competing offer on the table and if they don't step up support he may not be able to refuse it forever.

And of course if the Tal Shiar can breach his security so easily that an apparently unarmed agent can get into his office undetected, he can't just fire off a broadcast to all the supporting ships in the area. He wants to leave the subterfuge behind him, but it's uses still aren't lost on him.
Good point. It is nice for adding urgency to our efforts... and does help sell Klingon involvement as well since, from what I gather, the Klingon decision to be there at all is pretty brutally pragmatic. (Ie. Romulans -- not so great. But better to have these Romulans stable and self-sufficient than joining the Federation or Tal Shiar.)
Captain
# 5
11-17-2012, 06:59 AM
What cutscene, I didn't get any do you have to go to new rom somewhere and activate it ?
Career Officer
# 6
11-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
What cutscene, I didn't get any do you have to go to new rom somewhere and activate it ?
When you finish your upgrade, the next time you beam down, you get prompted to search for a hidden message. Look under a rock near the embassy.
Community Moderator
# 7
11-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I read the full review and just wanted to day I agree fully. It was an incrediby 'real' scene. Kudos to the writer and voice actors.

On a separate note - can we get the art team to work on some new emotes please? I'm sick of the plotting/scheming one (wee the character looks like they're holdiń a football). It's be icing on the cake.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Commander
# 8
11-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Whoever's captaining the Houston in Hive Onslaught needs to eat more fiber.
It's supposed to be D'Vak. He's klingon so his voice seemed perfectly fine to me.
Career Officer
# 9
11-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspidey2 View Post
It's supposed to be D'Vak. He's klingon so his voice seemed perfectly fine to me.
When I first heard it, it reminded me of that teen guy from the Simpsons who has been going through puberty for the past 10 years +
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Rihannsu
# 10
11-17-2012, 10:00 AM
i saw this scene on tribble. i really liked the way it was done. the vo was good and gives you a taste of the story without having you slaughter 10 mobs to get to it.

the vo in the tier 1 instance of the warhouse mission is also superb. the vo seems to be improving lately.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission