Career Officer
# 11
11-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrilon View Post
I agree - really nice environment. Some of the nicest looking areas are on the bridges Hopefully we'll see more of these adventure zones in the near future... It's fun to be able to explore in any direction I want, without hitting a zone wall, and to pick up random missions on the way. It gives STO some of that traditional MMO feel, that I'd been craving in this game

Quite satisfied with Season 7 in general - fun new fleet actions and an adventure zone I can come back to, without it feeling all that grindy.

Hopefully some of the bugs get squashed soon, and we'll be set

Thanks, team!
My big desire is for every adventure zone to be clearly themed, as my fear is that they'll ALL be fantasy forest/desert zones.

I'd imagine urban zones could actually be easier on the Polycount budgets.

Give me 1960s Vegas or New York or modern New Orleans complete with Sisko's restaurant or the Orion homeworld or something like First City but expanded out.

Urban adventure zones would rock. Plus, I wanna see ThomastheCat go crazy designing 90-100 business logos.
Empire Veteran
# 12
11-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Meh, the end product was a derivative of the original art direction, trying to make it feel like something that could exist, but which you haven't seen before, and the time we had to make the zone. I chose to go with a route that I knew I could easily cover the map in, and still (hopefully) look ok. You're no the first to make the potato comparison, and it's fair. But, it is what it is.
It's not geologically believable. Erosion can create such "potatoes", but the overal look is closer to hills rather than mountains. I know there are polygon limits but with such mountains the relief should be far more sharp with a lot of debris all around.

Something like this : http://ecole.nevache.free.fr/glacier/moraine2.jpg

It's a minor concern since the map is still great; just don't make so many round mountains if you need to save up some polygons because it looks VERY weird, when you know something about geology.

My favourite areas and props are those with the ruins and old buildings (the bridge is great). I really hope we'll se more of that in the future, in the featured episodes!

Last edited by diogene0; 11-17-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 13
11-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Rather than a year ago where there was the reman series and then nothing until season 6 hit as far as new content. I'd rather not worry about if someone thinks its a potatoe rofl. The way it seemed a year ago is that all development was going to end altogether so its pretty much something to be thankful that we are getting new content. Although I figured when lockboxes started that it was just going to end up being a nickel and dimed game and then abandoned but the new romulus seems like a good start if anything for the game to expand beyond what it is/has been.
Career Officer
# 14
11-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah I have to agree here, New Romulus is a very nice place to go. I love the scenery and the mission styles so far. Less of the traditional "go here and kill 5 groups of {insert name}" and more about what Trek was good for, exploring, sampling, scanning. Obviously they still have shooting in it, but it's not the same experience as a lot of the other 'exploration' zones.

It's a shame that the Dilithium changes happened at the same time as the launch of Season 7, as if it hadn't been for that, I feel this would have had a much better reception.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Career Officer
# 15
11-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthian1701 View Post
I'm having a great time on New Romulus, and if any of you haven't been yet you should go. It's just like exploring a new world - taking samples, exploring, and all sorts of things that Starfleet does. Cryptic did a really good job.
It's good, but it gets repetitive. Once you've done everything, you've done everything, and then its just a grind. It's pretty and awe inspiring and exciting for a few hours, then it gets old quick. That feeling you are feeling, will wear off quickly.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Career Officer
# 16
11-17-2012, 05:20 PM
I love it too, superb artwork throughout. Now Mr Taco, how about the day/night cycle....please

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 17
11-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
It's good, but it gets repetitive. Once you've done everything, you've done everything, and then its just a grind. It's pretty and awe inspiring and exciting for a few hours, then it gets old quick. That feeling you are feeling, will wear off quickly.
true but that doesnt mean they cant add more on that map.Open ground pvp in the forest ,...I dont know ,let them give a [something] as reward for ideas and you will see how that map turns into the best place in gamming industry....remember that people have creativity.

Now they need to rework how people share zones.70 people in one zone on esd is alot but on that map that number is not big.Today I though everyone abandoned the game and when I looked at the number of zones I realized that people still exist but the game sends them when no man has gone before :p

Also some tailor and shipyard would be good there because it would make people stay in that zone .That is good because I like the map :p

Last but not least ...doff chains.....that area (by that i mean the entire new sector) needs doff chains .For example it can be an orientated on diplomacy (help remans ...would be in the theme) and get a purple romulan diplomat at the end of chain plus lots of diplomacy cxp which atm take alot to get .

As for story...Im sure the new FE will be in that sector ...you dont have to be nostradamus to know that.
Captain
# 18
11-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Had a hard time finding my way around myself, had to keep beaming up to my ship and back down before I gave up and just stuck to queing for Romulan mark events instead.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-17-2012, 06:11 PM
New Romulus - the Homeworld of the potato people.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
Cryptic Studios Team
# 20
11-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
It's not geologically believable. Erosion can create such "potatoes", but the overal look is closer to hills rather than mountains. I know there are polygon limits but with such mountains the relief should be far more sharp with a lot of debris all around.

Something like this : http://ecole.nevache.free.fr/glacier/moraine2.jpg

It's a minor concern since the map is still great; just don't make so many round mountains if you need to save up some polygons because it looks VERY weird, when you know something about geology.

My favourite areas and props are those with the ruins and old buildings (the bridge is great). I really hope we'll se more of that in the future, in the featured episodes!

It's an alien planet, who knows how the geology works there. I had figured the potatoes had more been pushed out of the surrounding rock. No, it's not the same as what we know. But that was the point.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?