Career Officer
# 61
11-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by errab View Post
Greetings all,

I posed this question to the forums well over a year ago and it was pretty much panned at that time so I thought I?d bring it up again and see what the perception is on the idea this time.

Here?s a quick break down:

Let?s say that Cryptic offers a quality series of missions or a block of one off missions that scaled to the level of the player and could be run whenever we chose to run them and were tailored to both factions.

Let?s say that the DLC also included a new Bridge Officer (perhaps someone from the story contained in the missions) and new DLC exclusive equipment and Doffs and perhaps even Ships.

Let?s say that the asking price for these new DLC was setup like this:

$15.00 for F2P

$5.00 for Lifetime and Gold subscription holders

The above is just a very rough outline but I?m sure it presents the general idea that I?m trying to get across.

ATM STO offers very little incentive to hold a membership and the above idea would help out a bit in that area.

I know that most are already saying ?members should not have to pay extra for game content? but come on we all know that that ship has long since sailed.

I don?t think anything else will ever be added to STO unless it can be seen has profitable to PWE and I fear that it also includes regular non foundry created missions and story driven content.

I has a Lifer since open beta really do not mind the idea of paying for content has long has the content is enjoyable and worth the price I?m being asked to pay for it.

Thanks for your time!
No thank you, pay for extras, ships, weapons, fluff etc, not story. Story should be open to all at any time. That is all.
Survivor of Remus
# 62
11-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Access to the missions is free.....playing them on the other hand is very,very expensive.

It's sad that Cryptic and PWE seems to feel the need to treat their paying customers so badly......and more and more players are walking away from STO...job well done Devs,well done.
Captain
# 63
11-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avarseir View Post
Building on that, a paid DLC only will create a segregation of the player base.. one side are the players with the DLC and the other side without.
How is that any different than any other MMO where there are paid expansions? Not everyone buys them, and yet the players themselves have no problem playing together. So that is a weak argument.
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Career Officer
# 64
11-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharodon1975 View Post
Access to the missions is free.....playing them on the other hand is very,very expensive.
No it isn't. You can access every mission in this game without ever paying a penny. Tell me one mission that requires any payment to play at all. You don't need the best gear the standard stuff is good enough for pve. Most of the better rare gear you can get from the exchange using entirely in game earned EC.
Empire Veteran
# 65
11-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
How is that any different than any other MMO where there are paid expansions? Not everyone buys them, and yet the players themselves have no problem playing together. So that is a weak argument.
Until they all want to play the expansion..then..OOPS, sorry guys go on ahead..i dont have the expansion...

Its a strong argument.

Try playing WOW without all the expansion packs..see how much fun you'll get playing MC/BWL/ZG over and over and over again..
Career Officer
# 66
11-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Until they all want to play the expansion..then..OOPS, sorry guys go on ahead..i dont have the expansion...

Its a strong argument.

Try playing WOW without all the expansion packs..see how much fun you'll get playing MC/BWL/ZG over and over and over again..
A lot more fun than playing these boring ass bugged half finished unimaginative episodes we have here.
Empire Veteran
# 67
11-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
A lot more fun than playing these boring ass bugged half finished unimaginative episodes we have here.
Fun is subjective. What makes you think the person next to you is not having fun?
Career Officer
# 68
11-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Fun is subjective. What makes you think the person next to you is not having fun?
Because they are still waiting for a GM to get Miral Paris unstuck from the building she clipped into.
Captain
# 69
11-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:

Its a strong argument.

Actually, with an MMO charging a subscription just to play AND charging for expansions, I can understand why people would not want to spend any more than they have to and opt out of the expansion.

But here? We do not have to pay one red cent on anything other than what we want to buy.

Here's what I would suggest:

For every new C-store item that comes out, be it a uniform pack or a new ship, wrap a mission around it. If it is a 2500-Z ship, then the mission costs 1875-Z and you get the ship upon completing it. Just a mission. No dilithium grindfests attached. The ship by itself would be available on the C-store for 2500-Z

For a new uniform pack, the mission would unlock a posting to a new location where the uniform is standard issue. It would be a full set, granted when you report in. The location would be a new DOff activity zone, a new door hub zone for the Foundry, A new social area, and there could be daily Dilithium generating missions scattered all over. Lihe the ship example above, the mission/social hub unlock that includes the uniform would be less than buying the uniform outright.

Make it cost more to get the fluff without the content, but they get a discount when they buy the content.

I think there would be more people opting for that than just buying the filuff by itself. But there would be a few who would do it. Not everyone wants new playable content, after all..
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Survivor of Remus
# 70
11-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
No it isn't. You can access every mission in this game without ever paying a penny. Tell me one mission that requires any payment to play at all. You don't need the best gear the standard stuff is good enough for pve. Most of the better rare gear you can get from the exchange using entirely in game earned EC.
I said access to the missions is free,and your answer is: "No it isn't. You can access every mission in this game without ever paying a penny." ???

"Tell me one mission that requires any payment to play at all." Dilithium requirements have risen considerably with Season 7,and since Dilithium can be traded for Zen,Dilithium has monetary value.So yes,you pay,one way or the other you always pay.There is no such thing as free to play.

And even if you throw that argument out the window,if you don't spend money on the game,the time it takes you to get everything for "free" is so ridiculous with Season 7 you might as well consider it a second (or third) job.And we all know the saying...TIME IS MONEY!!