Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,405
# 141
11-17-2012, 09:50 PM
1. and 3. wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. 2. Would be a game quitter for lots of people interesting in reputation which is why I think it won't happen. The reputation system is so much like the fleet advancement systems that I believe that 1. is very possible and 3. won't happen since the Tier 1 Fleet Requistion projects are the same cooldown as the Tier 3 Fleet Requistion projects. Therefore, I believe that all projects will have a maximum duration of 40 hours and you don't need to purchase Mk X equipment to get Mk XII equipment.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 236
# 142
11-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesolc View Post
Are you bipolar or something ?
Do you even know what bipolar means?

How can someone who's been consistently logical in their posts be bipolar?
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
# 143
11-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
1. and 3. wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. 2. Would be a game quitter for lots of people interesting in reputation which is why I think it won't happen. The reputation system is so much like the fleet advancement systems that I believe that 1. is very possible and 3. won't happen since the Tier 1 Fleet Requistion projects are the same cooldown as the Tier 3 Fleet Requistion projects. Therefore, I believe that all projects will have a maximum duration of 40 hours and you don't need to purchase Mk X equipment to get Mk XII equipment.
seeing as how starbase 1 required 20 hours and starbase 2 requires 4 days, point 1 is not that far fetched. points 2 and 3 can still be in play, because the fleet requisition projects are akin to unlocking the tiers of the store, rather than the construction of the actual item. it's not like you can progress through the whole system and just go for the tier 5 shipyard. you have to progress through tier 1, 2, 3 and 4. thus, the basis of my assertion. the adapted armor sets require an existing mk xii set before it can be fabricated, thus proving point 2 can very well happen.

Last edited by xsharpex; 11-17-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,405
# 144
11-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsharpex View Post
seeing as how starbase 1 required 20 hours and starbase 2 requires 4 days, point 1 is not that far fetched. points 2 and 3 can still be in play, because the fleet requisition projects are akin to unlocking the tiers of the store, rather than the construction of the actual item. it's not like you can progress through the whole system and just go for the tier 5 shipyard. you have to progress through tier 1, 2, 3 and 4. thus, the basis of my assertion. the adapted armor sets require an existing mk xii set before it can be fabricated, thus proving point 2 can very well happen.
Slight problem with 2. Using the old system, I could bypass Mk X and Mk XI and go straight to Mk XII. Having to go through Mk X, then Mk XI to get to Mk XII would tick off too many players. After all, why purchase something when the better model is just a few weeks away. Also, if the devs had something like this planned for later on, then they would have warned us about it so that people would use their EDC to purchase Mk XI STF gear rather than just convert it to dilithium or they would face nerdrage later on.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
# 145
11-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Slight problem with 2. Using the old system, I could bypass Mk X and Mk XI and go straight to Mk XII. Having to go through Mk X, then Mk XI to get to Mk XII would tick off too many players. After all, why purchase something when the better model is just a few weeks away. Also, if the devs had something like this planned for later on, then they would have warned us about it so that people would use their EDC to purchase Mk XI STF gear rather than just convert it to dilithium or they would face nerdrage later on.
LOL. the old system is not applicable, thus your argument is flawed, no? if things went according to the "old system" then we wouldn't be in this position, would we?

and according to Cryptic/PWE's history, do you really think pissing off a couple more players would really affect them? let's see... lack of pve, equal klingon content and ships, lack of significant content, veteran rewards, etc...

kinda like how the devs warned players to cash in their marks during the dilithium transistion... or how utterly transparent they were with the conversion rate with the borg currencies?

i'm merely posing hypotheticals here based on reasonable assumptions. unless you have something that directly contradicts something i say, then let me pose my hypotheticals and move on. thanks for playing though.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 42
# 146
11-18-2012, 01:36 AM
I have to admit the unlocking of the items is a bit steep. Not so much in resources, but the sheer time. The resources are high, yes, but I wouldn't mind if it was high cost but didn't take 40 hours. The Reputation system is a 100% way to get stuff, which is really great (I've gotten more progress in 4 missions of STFs, then the past few years combined), but the huge wait period to "buy" the stuff is kinda insane.

They should just either have the store have tiers to unlock everything, or massively lower the requisition time.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,750
# 147
11-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsharpex View Post

with no more access to space weapons, the players listed above will have to focus on either crafting expensive and underpowered weapons, or turning to the exchange to kite out their ship. ............

overall, the level of competitiveness between players that have all the items they need and players who don't will be very apparent. the players who don't have all the items they need will be playing an endless game of catch-up.....
Isn't this part of PWE's business strategy in its other games? Its a way to incentivize players into buying things from the Zstore to sell at the exchange for EC, or to get Dil. Either ECs or Dil would allow someone to get better weapons and gear.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 148
11-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsharpex View Post

with no more access to space weapons, the players listed above will have to focus on either crafting expensive and underpowered weapons, or turning to the exchange to kite out their ship. the prevalence of mix and match ships will increase, because the supply of quality weapons is so finite.
Negative, a cheap blue set of Mark XI weapons can be bought off the exchange for a few hundred thousand EC, which is extremely affordable, you can even patch up holes with Mk XI green weapons for a few thousand EC. You can buy cheap purple Mk XI shields/deflectors/engines for 50k a pop, to say nothing of the sets/weapons you can get beforehand from missions (Jem'hadar, Breen, etc). All this is more than serviceable enough to take you through STFs, and even eSTFs with smart play (ie don't be an AoE threat magnet). The difference between green/blue and purple equipment is very marginal, especially in the weapons department. Believe me, we did all the same eSTFs in greens and blues at one point.

Mix and match kits have nothing to do with it, unless the player is just terribly under informed. Your better off going with all green weapons of the same type than mix and matching purples.

Quote:
overall, the level of competitiveness between players that have all the items they need and players who don't will be very apparent. the players who don't have all the items they need will be playing an endless game of catch-up. they will not have the equipment needed to place in the top 3 in fleet actions, thus ensuring they have limited access to the higher quality equipment they would need to become more competitive. in terms of pvp, they would have no incentive to even try it, let alone play it constantly, because of the fact that they don't have the ec, resources or accessibility to items that those who have, take for granted.
Give me a Patrol escort with blue Mk XI weapons and Ill place 1st or 2nd in any space Fleet Action 95% of the time. The damage variance between blue/green mark XI & purple mark XII is 5-10%. Purple weapons in this game impart a marginal advantage, and the average player is terrible. If your competent, you won't have trouble placing well in fleet actions, or completing eSTFs, etc.

You'll play catchup for 2 months. That's it, hardly endless. And a month in you'll probably be about 95% as effective as anyone else with all the gear.


Quote:
team based, cooperative content will suffer the most. no one likes blowing up 20 times in a single match, waiting a minute or more between respawns. face it, with the passives being offered by the reputation system, the quality of enemies that we will face now and in the future will only get harder to compensate. without an easier way to adequately ascertain gear for all the new toons, they will in turn be a liability that no one, veteran or new player, would want.
You're speculating, the Tholians aren't harder than the Borg,regardless of power creep from new weapons and ships that has occurred in the past year. You also shouldn't be blowing up 20 times in a match, I don't care if your using green MkX gear. That has a lot more to do with build and player competence than gear.



The heart of the matter is that people have been feasting on fancy feast and gearing out their boats with 95% of the best gear in the game in under a week. That is a bad game design for a company that is f2p. It leads to a high turnover in players as people run out of goals. It also promotes an alt heavy environment that leads to dilithium and doff manipulation by utilizing a dozen alts, which undervalues their current Z-store purchases.

It also marginalized the market for all Mk X-XII gear on the exchange. That is already seeing something of a rejuvenation, and that's fantastic,

The new system gives you a steady progression path with constant upgrades over a period of a few months. You don't even have to play hardcore like you do in 99% of f2p games, and you'll still have all the best in slot gear within a few months.

Folks got fat cat syndrome for being spoon fed gear in what was a casual subscription MMO.
ow they're bawling because the system has been replaced with something that makes more sense for a f2p model.

At the end of the day, if an extremely reasonable progressive player improvement isn't good enough for you, drop the money and buy the shortcut. That's how this game stays afloat.

Last edited by xantris; 11-18-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
# 149
11-18-2012, 02:53 AM
I certainly hope that we do not have to purchase an item at each tier to unlock the store. That would be rediculous. I plan to do the projects to unlock each tier. I dont plan to buy any item till tier 5. If thats not how this is going to work, im done with it.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
# 150
11-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
snip.
i certainly hope you are right, for the future of the game. however, playing with the average player and looking at some of the builds that we've seen come across these boards have been less than encouraging. however, seeing them here asking for help is a positive step and hope more people do so.

i also hope that there maintains a steady supply of weapons to the exchange, so the prices do not increase too much. i only put that in there, because personally, i have noticed the subsequent drop of supply in mk xii v. rare polaron weapons over the course of the past couple days.

aside from that, free to play players and the majority of new players therein will either need to buy the account bank unlock for 10 dollars or they will need to purchase new weapons for each of their toons. i hope that this too, does not affect the supply and demand situation so much that it gets out of control. prior to season 7, we had access to an endless supply of weapons and equipment. the economics of supply and demand have not been tested on the mk x-xii gear yet. will the market economy be able to bare the full weight of all the players looking to outfit their new toons?

competence, build knowledge and skill. obviously, if you have this, then there's really nothing to worry about. but as my post described, the player base it was directed towards were the average and "casual" players as well as the brand spanking new players.

so yes, i do appreciate your points. people like you and me are vastly unaffected by all these changes. but with 100+ pages of worst stf experiences, the vast calls of nerfing content and the horror builds that we know exist out there... those are the ones that we need to worry about. can they afford the stuff they need? will they be an asset or a hindrance on a team?

overall, this game is easy mode for those who have all the resources. take away all the resources that players like you and i have and i guarantee we would be singing a different tune. how would we afford our equipment upgrades? or those doffs we slot? take away all the top tiered equipment that we've accumulated over all this time. those are the players severely affected by this. not us fat cats perched upon our windowsills.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 AM.