Captain
http://techland.time.com/2012/11/15/...t-of-the-best/

You should check it out and see if your favorite game made the list.

Personal Thoughts: Kinda bummed that Starfox wasn't on the list, it brought us the Super FX chip and new graphics.
Career Officer
# 2
11-17-2012, 06:34 PM
LOL ELDER SCROLLS IV

Oblivion getting picked over Morrowind makes me question their intelligence.

Mass Effect 3 on there is kinda weird too since everybody hated the endings so damned much.

Everything else is pretty solid, though. Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime, Diablo II, and more than I'd care to type out, all pinnacles of their time and of the artform itself.

So yeah other than those two blatantly bad choices this is a really good list IMO.
Career Officer
# 3
11-17-2012, 07:01 PM
I'd sooner choose Mass Effect 1 than Mass Effect 3. Ah MAKO, what would I do without you?

Also, Fallout should be on that list. Either under 90s, or under 2000s as Fallout 3, but it should've been represented. Pioneered freedom of choice non-linear sandbox RPGing long before the Elder Scrolls was even a gleam in its developer's eye.

May your water not glow at you in the dark.
Reave

Last edited by hrisvalar; 11-17-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Career Officer
# 4
11-17-2012, 07:20 PM
They certainly have some odd choices but then it's time magazine, I'm not expecting much from them.

It's interesting to note that for the most part they went for originals which changed things up. I think this is why things like ME3 and TES4 stand out, they were sequels which, while popular, didn't do all that much to earn that popularity aside from being sequels to the games not on the list that had to earn it.
Joined August 2008
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
11-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Oregon trail... Check
Wing Commander.. Check (where are the rest fo them???)
Civilization (1 - 4)... Check
Dune II... Check

What no Masters of Orion?
Career Officer
# 6
11-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisvalar View Post
Also, Fallout should be on that list. Either under 90s, or under 2000s as Fallout 3, but it should've been represented. Pioneered freedom of choice non-linear sandbox RPGing long before the Elder Scrolls was even a gleam in its developer's eye.
Uh

The Elder Scrolls: Arena, released March 1994

The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, released August 1996

Fallout, released September 30, 1997

EDIT: Unless of course you're referring to the game Fallout was spiritual successor to, i.e. 1987's Wasteland, but that isn't actually part of the Fallout franchise.

Last edited by jexsamx; 11-17-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Captain
# 7
11-17-2012, 10:33 PM
It's missing Alpha Centauri which imo is the best turn based strat game.

It's missing EvE Online for MMO PvP scaling, single shard, sandbox, etc.

It's missing a D&D rpg from 80s or 90s.

Some personal honerable mentions would be Kid Icarus, Battle of Olympus, and Battle Toads.
Career Officer
# 8
11-18-2012, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
EDIT: Unless of course you're referring to the game Fallout was spiritual successor to, i.e. 1987's Wasteland, but that isn't actually part of the Fallout franchise.
Could claim to, but no, sorry. I actually had a foot in mouth moment thinking Elder Scrolls was more recent. That said, I never played those games so wouldn't know if they already had the high degree of choice that its more recent installments had.

Anyhow, I'll second p2wsucks' choices too. I'm thinking Times just took the sales numbers of games and ran with that. That would explain ME3 over ME1 or why the cult classics gaming magazines wouldn't leave out get forgotten entirely.

I should still have Alpha Centauri around here somewhere... The search begins!
Reave
Captain
# 9
11-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
They certainly have some odd choices but then it's time magazine, I'm not expecting much from them.

It's interesting to note that for the most part they went for originals which changed things up. I think this is why things like ME3 and TES4 stand out, they were sequels which, while popular, didn't do all that much to earn that popularity aside from being sequels to the games not on the list that had to earn it.
THIS

I was like ME3 but not 1 or 2 which were better games? WTF? Then looked up at the name then realized, "Oh, it's Time magazine. Now I know WTF is wrong here."

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Quite content with Diablo II & Legend of Zelda (Hardly a surprise though) making the cut. Rather disappointed that (like you mentioned), Starfox isn't there.