Lieutenant
# 71 so sad...
11-17-2012, 01:04 PM
The odd thing is that I'd expect this from Chinese developers (like what PWE typically works with) but not from Cryptic.

My sympathies mostly lie with the suckers who were stupid enough to pay monthly or even lifetime-sub into this crap.

Cryptic. Get some of your PR people to come on the forums. ASAP.
Put a news post acknowledging these issues and that you're working on a fix. Then do it. Now.

I've never in my life seen such complete disregard for subscribers....oh wait nvm. The two Star Wars MMOs have been suffering the same fate. This some type of corporate joke at our expense or something? O_o
Ensign
# 72
11-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcrayven View Post
Please stop spamming your fake fix. It doesn't work. You have posted this garbage in three threads so far.
It's not that I don't appreciate your efforts to do Cryptic/PWE's work for them but I need my computer to run software other than this game. If this game ends up being fixed by breaking other video-driver compatible software then that is a TOTALLY unacceptable fix. The likelihood of my continuing to use and contribute (financially) to this game depends on someone addressing this issue as soon as possible. Addressing this issue doesn't just mean fixing it but communicating that this issue is
1. Taken seriously and currently acknowledged as a bug from the S7 update.
2. Being actively worked on and a tentative timeframe for completion.
3. Redress users who experienced this problem and have lost game-time. This is especially important because these bugs were reported in the beta by several of us and yet S7 was still released with the bugs.

-Goatkilla182
Lt. Commander
# 73
11-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by endafresh View Post
The odd thing is that I'd expect this from Chinese developers (like what PWE typically works with) but not from Cryptic.

My sympathies mostly lie with the suckers who were stupid enough to pay monthly or even lifetime-sub into this crap.

Cryptic. Get some of your PR people to come on the forums. ASAP.
Put a news post acknowledging these issues and that you're working on a fix. Then do it. Now.

I've never in my life seen such complete disregard for subscribers....oh wait nvm. The two Star Wars MMOs have been suffering the same fate. This some type of corporate joke at our expense or something? O_o
QFT.

/10chars

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online
Ensign
Here you have a set of graphic options wich will not crash your video driver when in space, or if it does, it will be very rare.
Options marked with * can be changed at will.

Monitor vertical sync OFF
Half resolution OFF
Antialiasing NONE
Dynamic lighting OFF
Lighting quality HIGH*
Shadows LOW
Max lights per object 2
Texture anistropic filtering 2x*
World texture quality 150%*
Character texture 100%*
World detail distance 75%*
Terrain detail distance 150%*
Character detail distance 80%*
Show high detail objects OFF
Max physics debris objects 30*
Raise settings in character creator OFF
Postprocessing OFF
Visual FX quality LOW
Soft particles OFF
Bloom quality LOW*
Bloom intesity 100%
Screen space ambinet occlusion ON (this is important, must be ENABLED)
Cinematics focus ON*
Underwater view OFF*
Reflection quality LOW
Lens flare quality OFF

Now for "Troubleshooting" i will list only those that are ON, those not listed are OFF including "Limit frame rate".

Limit CPU usage when inactive ON
Mulitcore rendering ON
Minimum shadow buffer bias ON
Reduce CPU/GPU usage ON

Try them as listed first time, then you can modify those with * if necessary. I do not guarantee that these settings work, but they did for me and other players with same video issue.
Lt. Commander
# 75
11-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow10052012 View Post
Here you have a set of graphic options wich will not crash your video driver when in space, or if it does, it will be very rare.
Options marked with * can be changed at will.

Monitor vertical sync OFF
Half resolution OFF
Antialiasing NONE
Dynamic lighting OFF
Lighting quality HIGH*
Shadows LOW
Max lights per object 2
Texture anistropic filtering 2x*
World texture quality 150%*
Character texture 100%*
World detail distance 75%*
Terrain detail distance 150%*
Character detail distance 80%*
Show high detail objects OFF
Max physics debris objects 30*
Raise settings in character creator OFF
Postprocessing OFF
Visual FX quality LOW
Soft particles OFF
Bloom quality LOW*
Bloom intesity 100%
Screen space ambinet occlusion ON (this is important, must be ENABLED)
Cinematics focus ON*
Underwater view OFF*
Reflection quality LOW
Lens flare quality OFF

Now for "Troubleshooting" i will list only those that are ON, those not listed are OFF including "Limit frame rate".

Limit CPU usage when inactive ON
Mulitcore rendering ON
Minimum shadow buffer bias ON
Reduce CPU/GPU usage ON

Try them as listed first time, then you can modify those with * if necessary. I do not guarantee that these settings work, but they did for me and other players with same video issue.
I tried these settings and the display driver still crashed. I then tried the game in safe mode with bare bones settings and it still crashed. Game worked fine before Season 7 patch at near max settings.

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
Captain
# 76
11-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I want to thank posters for putting in the effort into finding working fixes for this issue, but I'd strongly caution against downgrading drivers in an attempt solely to get STO working again, especially if you're on a supported OS (like Windows Vista/7).

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Ensign
# 77 @robertcrayven
11-18-2012, 01:56 PM
@robertcrayven, Are you using dx10 or dx9? select dx9 and restart game.
Those settings work for me and other players, you can try to reset default settings , then apply my listed settings. Only problem i have now is that on the ground is lagging, but half resolution enabled solves this. My video driver crashed very bad before, after season 7 i ve played on the ground a few days, but now i didnt have a single crash. I have first Intel HD gpu from 2010 on this laptop.
Lt. Commander
# 78
11-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
I want to thank posters for putting in the effort into finding working fixes for this issue, but I'd strongly caution against downgrading drivers in an attempt solely to get STO working again, especially if you're on a supported OS (like Windows Vista/7).
I agree with this. Gimping your computer to fix a problem Cryptic caused is not an acceptable solution. That's like suggesting someone drive their car with three wheels and a donut because the dealership bent their fourth wheel.

Last edited by robertcrayven; 11-18-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Captain
# 79
11-18-2012, 03:59 PM
One tentative solution that might work for others:

Keep "Visual Effects" (by which I mean the specific setting, not just graphics in general) set to Low. This appears to have had a positive effect on my lappy where before I was having some of the worst consequences of this bug (my computer would hard restart without any warning while playing STO).

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Ensign
# 80
11-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcrayven View Post
I tried these settings and the display driver still crashed. I then tried the game in safe mode with bare bones settings and it still crashed. Game worked fine before Season 7 patch at near max settings.
I'm a first time player, so I don't really know what I'm doing (still in the tutorials), but I tried running it bare bones settings and it was a nightmare. I thought it was just trying to do too much but I guess I was wrong, it turns out I needed some of the settings higher.

I guess it's not working for you, but I just wanted to report my success so people don't just dismiss the idea right off the bat.

EDIT: It may also be because I'm still not in any kind of resource intensive areas, that has yet to be seen, but since using these settings I have seen head nor tails of the dreaded blackouts on my screen.
Closed Thread