Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 11
11-19-2012, 03:39 AM
V'ger was actually linked to the Borg by the Great Bird of the Galaxy himself. Roddenberry implied a connection in an interview IIRC regarding TNG and the episode 'QWho'. It's obvious STO has paid homage to this with the sector block Red Alert events. EDIT- Although it is possible Roddenberry was joking in that interview.

Remember TMP was pretty vague about it. Spock had a brief mind-meld, it's entirely possible he only got a fraction of V'ger's history or only parts of it could be interpreted. A planet full of 'living machines' could easily be interpreted as a planet full of Borg. We don't know, because we never see it for ourselves.

To address the OP, I don't think Q or the Continuum had anything to do with the formation of the Borg. But it is one of Star Trek's biggest mysteries. Among many, really.

Last edited by stofsk; 11-19-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
11-19-2012, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopbang View Post
Ok, I was ready across a Hive STF post in FED gameplay. Someone posted that the only thing harder that the Borg would be the Q. That got me thinking.
I think Q created the Borg.
that was me that said the only thing more dnagerius than the borg would be Q.

no Q didnt make the borg thos he did make the feds encounter then erlyers than they should have.
Career Officer
# 13
11-19-2012, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
...Spock had a brief mind-meld, it's entirely possible he only got a fraction of V'ger's history or only parts of it could be interpreted. A planet full of 'living machines' could easily be interpreted as a planet full of Borg...
Assuming the Borg did create V'Ger, I think this is reasonable considering Spock pretty much went into shock due to information overload.

Or maybe the Pakleds were messing around with a toaster one time and things got out of hand...

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 14
11-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
Or maybe the Pakleds were messing around with a toaster one time and things got out of hand...
You mean that isn't what happened!

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
# 15
11-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Considering that the Q seem to have respect for the Borg, I find that highly unlikely.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Captain
# 16
11-19-2012, 07:34 AM
I doubt any connection between V'ger and the Borg. For one thing, V'ger considered all organic life as "infestations" and machines as the only true lifeforms, whereas the Borg deliberately seek out life to assimilate, then there is the incongruity of the detailed elegance of the Ilia probe compared to the haphazard and clunky functionality of Borg drones, if the Borg came from V'ger then something went horribly wrong between the time of their creation and the first time the Federation encounters them.
I've always envisaged the Borg as the result of an experiment in nanotechnology that went horribly wrong, or the creation of some mad scientist type that let loose her creation on an unsuspecting populace, becoming the first queen and template for those who followed.