Career Officer
# 51
11-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Not all of us only console clicked, the reality is there is little time in the week to run Foundry missions, on the weekend it is a different story. The problem in removing the ability for people to use the foundry daily is they stop using it all together, once its out of mind that is it. Combine this with the endless grinding for fleet marks, dilithium, romulan marks and omega marks that is now required is going to put Foundry out of touch for pretty much everyone.

I have no problem with the Foundry missions and people wanting to be creative in their own way, I do have major issues with people telling others how they should play the game. There are a lot of these people in this thread.

Removing console clicking is going to do nothing at all for the foundry. Missions aren't played because, like almost everything in the game, the interface is absolutely terrible. This isn't going to be fixed anytime soon, just like the awful exchange interface.
Captain
# 52
11-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillithiae View Post
*BUZZ* Wrong!

And since your wrong, no need to read any further. If the foundry had really good rewards, people would play it regardless of any "hesitation" regarding quality. Star clusters arent quality missions(Borg searching for relics from their 3rd dynasty) but people play them for the daily. Nuff said.
Irony, had you actually read the rest of the post you would have saw where the other half of the trust issue prevents that from ever happening.
Commander
# 53
11-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Well, don't feel obligated or anything. I know my missions are long, especially Dereliction Duty. I didn't realize how long it was when making it, and also made the mistake of front loading most of the optional conversations at the start of the mission.

I guess the trick I would say with DD is if you start playing it but don't have a lot of time, you can spend time on U.S.S. Atlas Deck 13 until you finish everything or get bored, and then you can quit and come back the mission another time and just rush through Deck 13 (shouldn't take more than 5 minutes) and just do the actual mission.

I've tried to keep the others a little shorter, but I run into the issue where it's not really realistic to break up the mission after every single map. So, they still end up being a little bit long.

Really though, we have the advantage with the Foundry of not having to cater to absolutely everyone. It would be nice though if there was some way to select the mission length you want, etc. As has been mentioned we've been asking about that for a long time.
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably find a time when I can play it straight through. And don't worry, it's not because I feel obligated; I've been interested in trying this mission for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 54
11-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
Some Foundry authors, however, seem to focus too much on the textual side and really drag the flow to a screeching halt. Most MMO players -- including those of us who play primarily for story content -- are not looking to read a novel in game. If the author stops us dead with multiple screens of long, scrolling text to fit in all the backstory you would find *over time* in a good novel, they're going to lose the player.

What constitutes good novel writing does not necessarily translate into good MMO writing. For the game, text and player activity should be well-balanced. Immersion is not just about reading the story, it's about *participating* in it. The characters should be an active part of the story.
Purely theoretical on part, as I've yet to publish a foundry mission myself, but I feel like this is the sort of a good example of where the old "show, don't tell" adage comes into play.

Any time you have something that involves a large text dump, IMO it's best to take a step back and think about how you could communicate much of the same info through direct player experience. Even if it means substantially lengthening the mission by adding maps and/or objectives, or even splitting the mission into parts, it's generally going to be more engaging for the player to learn that stuff in the course of doing stuff than by reading a big block of text.

Have the player discover things themselves instead of be briefed on them by NPCs whenever at all possible. If an NPC has a backstory that's too large, consider separating that story out and developing it into a mission in its own right. If the big backstory is too relevant to the original mission, then set the original mission aside so you can focus and publish the backstory mission first.

Last edited by connectamabob; 11-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Rihannsu
# 55
11-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Irony, had you actually read the rest of the post you would have saw where the other half of the trust issue prevents that from ever happening.
IMO the "trust issue" is more about pessimism on the part of players than anything else.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Career Officer
# 56
11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
IMO the "trust issue" is more about pessimism on the part of players than anything else.
As a former player with the "trust issue" this is basically it. For the longest time I didn't play Foundry missions because I expected them to be major crap and glorified fan fic.

EDIT

For clarity almost all teh missions I've played have been great. The vast majority that I've played have been given 4 or 5 stars

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan

Last edited by zorbane; 11-19-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Community Moderator
# 57
11-19-2012, 10:50 AM
As a Foundry player, I want to play one or two full missions a day (5 objectives or so, each) for a total of about 30-60 minutes of gameplay and I want comparable (not necessarily equal) rewards to what I'd get playing a standard Cryptic mission of the same sort.

I did clickies because I DOFF with alts and it was, frankly, rewarded behavior that gave me a chunk of Dilithium for doing it. Now that the clickies are gone, I won't miss them that much. I always felt a little dirty doing them. But requiring me to play three missions a day at 30-60 minutes a pop is just too much. Not going to happen, which means my Dilithium grinding -- and by extension my contributions to fleet holdings -- is going to suffer.

I want Cryptic to fix how they reward ALL Foundry missions. Yes, by all means exclude the quickies and the clickies. But anything that takes at least 15 minutes to run should get some reward, including the Dil and Skill points players need to progress in the game.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 11-19-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Career Officer
# 58
11-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Agreed. Currently the time:reward ratio is not balanced compared to the other ways to get rewrds

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Survivor of Romulus
# 59
11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
Agreed. Currently the time:reward ratio is not balanced compared to the other ways to get rewrds
Yep, I don't think anyone would argue that there isn't a million better rewards systems that could be implemented for playing Foundry missions. Unfortunately, though we have proposed about that many ideas for one, Cryptic has moved at a snail's pace with regards to the Foundry. I think part of the reason people are so up in arms about the removal of one-click dailies is that they were here for so long and ignored by Cryptic for so long (thereby giving tacit approval) that their removal seems arbitrary.

I'm quite sure these missions were not an intended consequence from the introduction of the wrapper, but if Cryptic did not approve of this use of the Foundry, they should have moved to end it far sooner.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

List of great missions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=286621
Career Officer
# 60
11-19-2012, 01:36 PM
As a foundry Author i have one thing to say towards the Foundry Players....

Put Up or Shut Up

If you think you can write the ultra badass mission then DO IT. until then wehn you play a mission even if its the crappiest mission on EVER. thank the author for their work, tip some dilitium, and go about your day.