Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 31
11-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
The salt vampire mission, btw, has nothing to do with New Romulus. That mission takes place on Hfihar, at the mining colony we visited during Cloaked Intentions.
And this justifies the butchering of Salt Vampires how?

And I assumed that the Hfihar colony was providing the New Romulus colony with raw materials.

Also someone needs to start a "J'mpok does not approve thread"

Seriously Season 7 should have been about the federation sheltering refugees, setting up diplomatic relations with all colonies not just one, trading with all colonies. It should have also been about the Klingons attacking and taking planets and territory that was once part of the Romulan Empire... and the building up of a Resistance to it by Romulans culminating in a new mini-faction.

Buttt..... nooooo.... now we have Feds butchering endangered species and Klingons tagging Ephorrs and dnacing through the fields of New Romulus.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 11-19-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,433
# 32
11-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
And this justifies the butchering of Salt Vampires how?

And I assumed that the Hfihar colony was providing the New Romulus colony with raw materials.
Don't know about the providing part, haven't played it yet with in depth analaysing the story.
I just know that the salt vampires are remnants of Tal Shiar genetic experiments who got out after we blew up teh base and seemd to have multiplied since then.
We don't really know anything about the situation there until we beam down there and find shocking evidence of them existing with an imminent attack that forces us into self defense and protecting the miners which would be slaughtered without help.
And after the first wave we are evacuating the miners off the planet.

I don't see any sort of attack on the salt vampires or slaughtering (well, no more slaughtering then in any other mission whith NPCS with a red rectangle).
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 33
11-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
Don't know about the providing part, haven't played it yet with in depth analaysing the story.
I just know that the salt vampires are remnants of Tal Shiar genetic experiments who got out after we blew up teh base and seemd to have multiplied since then.
We don't really know anything about the situation there until we beam down there and find shocking evidence of them existing with an imminent attack that forces us into self defense and protecting the miners which would be slaughtered without help.
And after the first wave we are evacuating the miners off the planet.

I don't see any sort of attack on the salt vampires or slaughtering (well, no more slaughtering then in any other mission whith NPCS with a red rectangle).
Not at all...

You lock the miners in there homes.... that is the point where there should be a button to "beam down salt" and then as the Vampires sit down to lunch... which is all they came for... we can escort the colonists to safety.

Also someone needs to start a "J'mpok does not approve thread"

Seriously Season 7 should have been about the federation sheltering refugees, setting up diplomatic relations with all colonies not just one, trading with all colonies. It should have also been about the Klingons attacking and taking planets and territory that was once part of the Romulan Empire... and the building up of a Resistance to it by Romulans culminating in a new mini-faction.

Buttt..... nooooo.... now we have Feds butchering endangered species and Klingons tagging Ephorrs and dancing through the fields of New Romulus.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,583
# 34
11-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Pvehero, Kirk made a career off interfereing off every planet they visited Sure some were for the best, but some were not

The Prime Directive's been violated a lot, and not just by him... at this point, it's one of those few-times-enforced laws that only some pay attention to. Sure Star Trek's message is what you said, but there is a lot of interfering by Starfleet as well.

And that was during more peaceful times. Imagine how much they loosened up when multiple wars are threatening them...
He even enhanced some of their gene pools.....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 35
11-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
He even enhanced some of their gene pools.....
Actually considering all the sexual interaction he had... and the lack of offspring... I'm guessing he needed IVF to have David ...

No wonder why he hates the Klingons so much.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 445
# 36
11-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Picard is no saint. First Contact is the best example. We see him overthrow a legitimate government to advance his own agenda. The line must be drawn here....
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 37
11-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Also someone needs to start a "J'mpok does not approve thread"

Seriously Season 7 should have been about the federation sheltering refugees, setting up diplomatic relations with all colonies not just one, trading with all colonies. It should have also been about the Klingons attacking and taking planets and territory that was once part of the Romulan Empire... and the building up of a Resistance to it by Romulans culminating in a new mini-faction.

Buttt..... nooooo.... now we have Feds butchering endangered species and Klingons tagging Ephorrs and dancing through the fields of New Romulus.



.... thoughts?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,433
# 38
11-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Not at all...

You lock the miners in there homes.... that is the point where there should be a button to "beam down salt" and then as the Vampires sit down to lunch... which is all they came for... we can escort the colonists to safety.

Also someone needs to start a "J'mpok does not approve thread"

Seriously Season 7 should have been about the federation sheltering refugees, setting up diplomatic relations with all colonies not just one, trading with all colonies. It should have also been about the Klingons attacking and taking planets and territory that was once part of the Romulan Empire... and the building up of a Resistance to it by Romulans culminating in a new mini-faction.

Buttt..... nooooo.... now we have Feds butchering endangered species and Klingons tagging Ephorrs and dancing through the fields of New Romulus.
I just replayed the mission. The problem you perceive is more or less a result of all the story that is skipped and reduced to 2 paragraphs of exposition anyone has barely time to read.
The rest is your typical zombie invasion with a Star Trek skin.

If this were an actual Star Trek Episode, we'd have 40 minutes of investigating the mysterious deaths, some character development and conflict with the guest star of the week about what should be done (think the Horta episode) and then 3 minutes of invasion, of which most of would happen off screen for budget reasons.

The whole thing screams for a Foundry author to write the missing 40 minutes of story.

Well, the way I see it, this is all very similar to the Horta episode and instead of establishing a dialog the invasion forces us into a besieged castle action piece instead.


That we are forced to fight an endagered, formerly extinct, species is regrettable.

And the problem with the Vampires just needing salt is sort of a plothole, but it would have been a very boring mission that way.
This is one of the cases where gameplay trumps logic I am afraid, though I am not convinced.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,281
# 39
11-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Sela's isn't legitimate, it's not supported by the majority of Romulans and it's not recognized by either the Klingon Empire or the Federation.
It's legitimate enough to be a significant threat to both the Federation and the Klingon Empire. Do you really want them to stand idly by while Sela's forces wreak havok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
And regardless the Federation has in this game serially broken the Prime Directive, to what end? Lets not even start about the butchering of Salt Vampires (an endangered species) when all they had to do was beam down large vats of salt ... though I admit that would have been a less fun mission :p
These aren't normal Salt Vampires...they're genetically bred weapons. Who knows, they might not be able to consume salt the normal way. Of course, that raises the question of how the Tal Shiar planned to feed them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Also someone needs to start a "J'mpok does not approve thread"
J'mpok agreed to help New Romulus; therefore he must approve to a degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Seriously Season 7 should have been about the federation sheltering refugees, setting up diplomatic relations with all colonies not just one, trading with all colonies.
We have to start somewhere. Why not the "new capital"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
It should have also been about the Klingons attacking and taking planets and territory that was once part of the Romulan Empire... and the building up of a Resistance to it by Romulans culminating in a new mini-faction.
I believe the Empire's reasoning was described in Dev Blog #15:

"By supporting the new Romulan colony, we conquer one of our greatest foes without a single blow. We gain their friendship, and later perhaps their loyalty. We solidify our relationship with the Remans. And we still retain the chance for combat and glory ? the Romulans are not in a position to fight their own battles. They will need our ships to defend them from the Tal Shiar and the Tholians.

"We are reaching a turning point in history. Kahless said it was better to lose one battle than to lose an empire. I would say it is better to forego one war to win a greater one.

"J?mpok will keep the Empire at odds with Starfleet as long as he can. His greatest fear is that the Empire will be dominated by the Federation. But it is not Starfleet we need fear. It is the Iconians.

"We know the Iconians are coming. We know their eyes are fixed on the Romulans. The Empire must be ready ? for whatever may come."
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,500
# 40
11-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Note to everyone, the Fed were NOT at war with the Romulans when Horbus exploded so the pre empted thing I'm against. AS far as helping New Romulus. THey are not an independent state, fledgling and fragile but still independent. Sela MIA left a power vacum so liely the Tal Shiar are taking over the RSE while the Remans and Romulans who are sick of RSE mentaility form a Romulan Republic. So no prime directive violation here
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM.