Empire Veteran
# 11
11-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
You may be right. But why would they want to do that? If they fix the KDF faction, they'll have two to milk instead of just the Feds. I would think that's the more profitable way to go.
If you look at the fact that they had only one fe series in two years (even though it by far the most popular thing in the game and people would be willing to pay money for it). It is the only star trek story available for the past 10 years other than the abrams movie. and star trek, if anything, is more about story than "a different uniform". Yes they have Alpha and the Halloween on as well but those where made off hours.
One conclusion can be reached: cryptic finds stories too hard to do with its resources.
And to get the kdf up to snuff would require quite a few stories.
Therefore the hardest thing in the universe is fixing the kdf.
Career Officer
# 12
11-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
You may be right. But why would they want to do that? If they fix the KDF faction, they'll have two to milk instead of just the Feds. I would think that's the more profitable way to go.
It splits up the ways they can milk.

It means making two ships for the same profit that one ship would produce in a one faction game.

Factions in the classical WoW mold do more to hinder microtransactions than to help them.
Captain
# 13
11-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
It means making two ships for the same profit that one ship would produce in a one faction game.
Why the same profit? Why not double?
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 14
11-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
I REALLY don't see the issue about the KDF's UI, other than color blindness, personally

I can look at that thing for hours on end, and nothing.

Doesn't bother me either, but I can understand the colorblind complaint.
Career Officer
# 15
11-19-2012, 09:14 AM
The red doesn't bother me a bit, hasn't at all in the past 3 years lol

But I agree, let is be customizable, even with a preselected palate.
Career Officer
# 16
11-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Why the same profit? Why not double?
Because most people will probably play one more than the other and this game is now designed to discourage alts for a variety of other reasons.

Alts are discouraged by design. You have two factions, one of which is less well known within the brand.

When they release a Klingon ship on the C-Store, people who don't play Klingons won't buy it. When they release a Fed ship, they have 4x as many prospective buyers... and then Klingons can't buy it.

F2P doesn't make sense with factions (unless they're mostly friendly, like WoW races within a faction) and I think Cryptic is courting disappointment if they're serious about PvP, which doesn't really work with this business model with western gamers and esports players.

For PvP to work, you either need to segregate it in a "fair" space where competitors pay equal amounts of cash or you need to drop the successful elements of STO's business model.

Factions can work but they need to exist basically completely independent of the notion of PvP, which is the issue. And then you either need faction agnostic C-Store items or you need to look at not having factions.
Career Officer
# 17
11-19-2012, 09:30 AM
There's another set metrics to consider:

Is the cost of KDF recruitment high enough that it costs them more Fed players than it gains them KDF players?

Say they spend $5 million on the KDF and somehow get 40,000 Klingon players. Does that focus cost them Fed players? Would they get more players of a different faction (Fed or otherwise) for the same investment? And who will they get the most C-Store money out of for the least work?

Pretend you have no vested interest in the gameplay or in fairness. Where do you think Cryptic's money would get the biggest return? That's not everything but I don't think you can automatically put fairness or old promises above that in importance.

I still think making the KDF work requires creativity I haven't seen out of Cryptic or out of most player requests for KDF content. "Build it and they will come" is simplistic and failure prone. I think it absolutely should happen but I'm not seeing the "how" yet and I think if Cryptic did take a flat "build it and they will come" approach, it would backfire terribly for them and the game as a whole.