Ensign
# 81 Graphic settings
11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
If anyone still has problems with video driver crashing, contact me ingame "His Shadow@shadow10052012". We ll work something out.

@esknasciliraih, It's not about low and high settings, game engine is bugged with pixel shaders/Screen space ambinet occlusion (SSAO), so game needs them in such a way that it doesnt crash the driver. This is a temporary solution, but devs must fix this and from my knowledge, they are working on it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 82
11-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Firstly before I start, I don't post much, but it doesn't mean I haven't been around since launch,

I'm in IT professional by trade so hopefully what I say here might offer help or advice for some, but what you choose to do with it is up to you,

I myself have an Inno3D nVidia GTX 580, 1.5GB of vRAM, fine,

In s7 testing on tribble I noticed an SSaO error on loading every time, (which subsequently transferred to holodeck, there is a thread about in the tribble section), taco personally took my screenshot of it to the graphics department and spoke with them, it's possible it's related (possible!)

Ultimately, I too am experiencing the same black screens, crashing the vid driver and I'm using the latest nvidia driver! Not intel.

The black screens are called "TDR's", basically too much data is being sent to the card and it can't cope within the default (I.e. set in the registry) timeframe, there is a Microsoft technet article proposing a way to change the default time out, for example from 1second to 2seconds, but unless you are extremely proficient with computers and can cope with potential system degradation or dataloss should something go wrong I would NOT recommend doing it.

Interestingly, I noticed yesterday in 'into the hive' ground, after having no less than 3 TDR's in less than twenty mins, that in the queen fight, I got a warning up (because I always have /showfps and /showmem up) that I was running out of VRAM at 800MB which I thought odd, it clearly stated it was culling textures, so I checked in the troubleshooting settings, and my Mem allocation was set to "auto", I promptly changed it to "1024+", almostly immediately everything was fine again, frame rate back to 30+fps,

My thinking then is this, has a calculation "auto" been screwed somehow?
Lt. Commander
# 83
11-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesominator6000 View Post
Firstly before I start, I don't post much, but it doesn't mean I haven't been around since launch,

I'm in IT professional by trade so hopefully what I say here might offer help or advice for some, but what you choose to do with it is up to you,

I myself have an Inno3D nVidia GTX 580, 1.5GB of vRAM, fine,

In s7 testing on tribble I noticed an SSaO error on loading every time, (which subsequently transferred to holodeck, there is a thread about in the tribble section), taco personally took my screenshot of it to the graphics department and spoke with them, it's possible it's related (possible!)

Ultimately, I too am experiencing the same black screens, crashing the vid driver and I'm using the latest nvidia driver! Not intel.

The black screens are called "TDR's", basically too much data is being sent to the card and it can't cope within the default (I.e. set in the registry) timeframe, there is a Microsoft technet article proposing a way to change the default time out, for example from 1second to 2seconds, but unless you are extremely proficient with computers and can cope with potential system degradation or dataloss should something go wrong I would NOT recommend doing it.

Interestingly, I noticed yesterday in 'into the hive' ground, after having no less than 3 TDR's in less than twenty mins, that in the queen fight, I got a warning up (because I always have /showfps and /showmem up) that I was running out of VRAM at 800MB which I thought odd, it clearly stated it was culling textures, so I checked in the troubleshooting settings, and my Mem allocation was set to "auto", I promptly changed it to "1024+", almostly immediately everything was fine again, frame rate back to 30+fps,

My thinking then is this, has a calculation "auto" been screwed somehow?
Thank you for this. This is a much more logical explanation than all of the hogwash about computer systems suddenly becoming obsolete overnight, downgrading your drivers to break your OS so you can quasi-play, et cetera et cetera. I can easily see Cryptic screwing up code in the manner which you have proposed. I don't suppose Taco mentioned how long the developers intend to sit on their hands before doing something about this?

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online

Last edited by robertcrayven; 11-19-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 84
11-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately not,

But I think I know now what is happening;

My error in my system error log states;
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
This is otherwise known as an EventID: 4101;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ery-en-us.aspx

Thus, within the past few revisions of the nVidia driver, there was a new feature added for adaptive performance because of what the GTX680 can do, thus in my driver options for a manual profile that I have created for STO (GameClient.exe), there is an option that states;
"Power Management Mode" with the following options;
Adaptive
Prefer Maximum Performance,

I now suspect, that anything GFX driver, whether it be Intel or nVidia whereby it has not been forcibly set to a Maximum Performance setting (i.e. more power draw and full clock speed available), then the "auto" option in the game (under troubleshooting, in the graphics section) will mis-calculate and think that the GFX ability is only what is being reported, not what is available.
Thus this appears to be an unfortunate co-incidence.

My fix, so far has been to set the mem allocation of my card manually to "1024+" and to manually set in my STO profile, in the nVidia Control Panel, the "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance",

never have I seen all the textures work properly, there was also no SSaO error when logging in, and the Tac Cubes have no more black triangles on them,

would be useful if people with more results, good or bad, post here also
Lt. Commander
# 85
11-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I agree with you on this.

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
Ensign
# 86
11-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesominator6000 View Post
Unfortunately not,

But I think I know now what is happening;

My error in my system error log states;
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
This is otherwise known as an EventID: 4101;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ery-en-us.aspx

Thus, within the past few revisions of the nVidia driver, there was a new feature added for adaptive performance because of what the GTX680 can do, thus in my driver options for a manual profile that I have created for STO (GameClient.exe), there is an option that states;
"Power Management Mode" with the following options;
Adaptive
Prefer Maximum Performance,

I now suspect, that anything GFX driver, whether it be Intel or nVidia whereby it has not been forcibly set to a Maximum Performance setting (i.e. more power draw and full clock speed available), then the "auto" option in the game (under troubleshooting, in the graphics section) will mis-calculate and think that the GFX ability is only what is being reported, not what is available.
Thus this appears to be an unfortunate co-incidence.

My fix, so far has been to set the mem allocation of my card manually to "1024+" and to manually set in my STO profile, in the nVidia Control Panel, the "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance",

never have I seen all the textures work properly, there was also no SSaO error when logging in, and the Tac Cubes have no more black triangles on them,

would be useful if people with more results, good or bad, post here also
I already tried changing mine to 768 in game options (it still crashed on 1024+) and haven't had time to really test it yet. I have not tried looking for a max performance setting on my Intel integrated card either. I don't remember seeing that in there last time I was looking for something else though.

If you are correct it would appear that both intel and nvidia would have both coincidentally just now included that setting only on their new drivers (because old ones don't seem to crash the game, at least for me). Anyway, I'll try it and see if it fixes things. If not, then I will stick with the old driver for now. I really do not notice any problems with my old driver elsewhere on my system so I may just be one of the lucky ones where using an outdated driver has no ill-effect elsewhere.
Starfleet Veteran
# 87
11-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Just remember, laptops with intel chips sometimes have a Hybrid option, for "battery performance" etc
Lt. Commander
# 88
11-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chroncrossed2 View Post
I already tried changing mine to 768 in game options (it still crashed on 1024+) and haven't had time to really test it yet. I have not tried looking for a max performance setting on my Intel integrated card either. I don't remember seeing that in there last time I was looking for something else though.

If you are correct it would appear that both intel and nvidia would have both coincidentally just now included that setting only on their new drivers (because old ones don't seem to crash the game, at least for me). Anyway, I'll try it and see if it fixes things. If not, then I will stick with the old driver for now. I really do not notice any problems with my old driver elsewhere on my system so I may just be one of the lucky ones where using an outdated driver has no ill-effect elsewhere.
I don't think it was a driver update that did it. I think it was something that Cryptic wrecked on their end. My drivers are the same ones that I was playing Season 6 with flawlessly.

Career Officer
# 89
11-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Ya it has to be something they screwed up most of us wer doin great till 7 rolled out then this and regretfully with this new update tonight still looks like we will be unable to enjoy this season anytime soon

Always Recruiting Join us at http://temporalimperium.enjin.com/
Starfleet Veteran
# 90
11-21-2012, 12:58 AM
All I can say is that, after doing my "fixes", I was able to play for just over 2hours without issue, NWS twice, some doffing and a go at hive ground and hive space,

I purposefully tried to test my card by getting into the thick of the action when all the effects were going off (dropped my framerate to 6fps at one point, do I know that worked),

I will keep an eye on it tonight, but so far I remain hopeful
Closed Thread