http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
Empire Veteran
# 13
11-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas12255 View Post
Well that's it done, we reached $6.2M
People really wanted the playable Bengal-class carrier in that game, they went from 4.1 (or w/e it was) to 6.2 million in 48 hours after that announcement......damn impressive if you ask me.

Six million was the original 'secret' goal, so now the game is going to have everything that they were planning and hoping to be able to put into it. Over 100 systems, original soundtrack, wing commander actor(s), a 'deep and rich storyline' for squadron 42 and so on.

Should be out in 2-3 years baring incidents.....here's to hoping

Support a KDF equivalent to the Vesta Here
Career Officer
# 14
11-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Yep - and the amazing thing was - about 24 hours to the end of the crowdfunding campaign the total was at about 4 million; so they received 2.2 million more in the space of about 24 hours at the end. (Just hope the site comes up quick as I hadn't read all the unlocked system updates.)

But, yes, this is the Wing Commander/Privateer style MMO (yes, I know, they're not calling it an MMO per se as it it very non-traditional in progression design, but with persistent universe public servers that store your character, etc; it's MMO enough) I thought I'd never see after EA bought out and gutted Origin and Mico$oft bought out Digital Anvil.)

It's gonna be a long 2 1/2 year wait to get to the persistent universe beta (although from all reports we should have a multiplayer Alpha to be a part of in a year or so.)

Still, as a longtime space sim fan; it's nice to be able to prove the big publishers wrong and show there indeed is A LOT of gamer support for this type of non-console PC game (with a massively-multiplayer component.)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Empire Veteran
# 15
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Yep - and the amazing thing was - about 24 hours to the end of the crowdfunding campaign the total was at about 4 million; so they received 2.2 million more in the space of about 24 hours at the end. (Just hope the site comes up quick as I hadn't read all the unlocked system updates.)

But, yes, this is the Wing Commander/Privateer style MMO (yes, I know, they're not calling it an MMO per se as it it very non-traditional in progression design, but with persistent universe public servers that store your character, etc; it's MMO enough) I thought I'd never see after EA bought out and gutted Origin and Mico$oft bought out Digital Anvil.)

It's gonna be a long 2 1/2 year wait to get to the persistent universe beta (although from all reports we should have a multiplayer Alpha to be a part of in a year or so.)

Still, as a longtime space sim fan; it's nice to be able to prove the big publishers wrong and show there indeed is A LOT of gamer support for this type of non-console PC game (with a massively-multiplayer component.)
Unfortunate part for me is that I'm definitely going to have to buy a new machine before it comes out........or maybe that's not such a bad thing, lol .

But yeah, after Roberts sold Digital Anvil and decided to take a break from game design.....there really wasn't anything that could compare to Wing Commander or Privateer in terms of a true Space Sim. EVE Online gave the scale but not the gameplay, and Freelancer had potential, but it always felt like it fell short.

Hopefully this will be everything that they've (and we have for that matter) been hoping to see for over a decade now.

Support a KDF equivalent to the Vesta Here
Captain
# 16
11-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortwort View Post
Let's say 100,000 buy the game when it's new. They like it. They play it. They tell their friends.

Over the next 6 months, 1,000,000 more people buy the game.

Over the 6 months after that, 3,000,000 more people buy the game.

Over the 6 months after that....

You don't have to milk the same customers over and over if your game is good enough to attract new customers. I find it really amusing to have to type it out, too.
That is not going to happen.

Flight Sims, along with many sims genders are a niche, even at the height of its popularity Wing Commander did not had 3 million sales and honestly things are going to depend a lot of what actually is delivered ... sorry but I dont believe for a second this will deliver everything you can ever hope in a flight sim, also a lot of people will play it for the single player and leave it at that that brings me to the question of PvP.

If this becomes EVE II then we already have EVE and this will fail, I do not want to play "EVE with Joystick" and this is why I been on the sideline waiting to see were it goes and EVE certainly does not have 3 million players, worst is the PvPers trying to push the same model that is used in EVE (open, no op-out, no consequences to engage on it) that is not going to sit well with many players were their idea of fun is losing 2-3 weeks of play because someone was bored and decided to be a prick.

As long I get my Privateer II, I will buy it but I am not buying EVE with a Joystick.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Everyone will play MP... that's where the action was in Freelancer and this is what Star Citizen is, I think you are being naive.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
Captain
# 18
11-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas12255 View Post
Everyone will play MP...
No, most people buy games for their single player and I should not be saying anything new since multiplayer only games have been released and few have found commercial success.

And those are FPS.

Quote:
that's where the action was in Freelancer and this is what Star Citizen is, I think you are being naive.
I think its you that being naive, I brought Freelancer and never touched multiplayer, the whole "were the action is" because simply CoD in space, I am certainly not going to enter CoD in space and yes, I am quite sure several people DO want it to be CoD in space that I just point out what I said, it simply cannot do everything everyone wants since *I* do not want unrestricted open PvP.