Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
# 31
11-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxottoman View Post
We are tired of doing your job for you. Test your own product before selling it man.
Don't be so hard on him. I mean he fixed the BFI doffs.

Granted, it took him 10 months before he did something, but it's something, isn't it? Okay, now they are adding more healing back in via consoles and doffs, but this "one step forward, two steps back" has tradition. Don't shun tradition!


(And maybe someone will fix the FAW [Acc] bug... or play a game against 4-5 carriers and see why pets in this game are a massive balance problem... or get GravPulsed for 40s... or get Gravitic Anchored and see that APO doesn't work... or meet a kdf power drain team... or ...)
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 363
# 32
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
You're jumping to conclusions and transposing a 20% chance at proc to be a 100% chance. There's an 80% chance the proc won't fire so it's not like everyone's going to be viraled for the entire match. Also, if you want to use the old doff in combo with the new doff, you will have to make a sacrifice of which one to use which lowers your chance of either of them firing off. According to Borticus's post, the duration of viral for these chained virals will be 5 seconds, not 20.

Don't be fooled by percentages. The sub nuke doff boasts a 1% chance to clear all your buffs. So with what you're saying there's a 99% chance it won't. You see something wrong with the picture here? I do, that's why we don't use the doffs and it's frowned on by many in this community. This doff is close, but not as lethal. You'll see.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
That's like saying whoever runs 4 DHC's and 3 turrets rely on them heavily for a reason. Well duh. People tend to rely on the weapons they equip, especially when their boff powers revolve around buffing said weapons. We can get into this discussion about tric mines being OP, but we've already had it, and I'd rather not talk in circles. I'll just say that it's been a long time since I've died to tric mines in my escorts, and I've never died to them on my sci or eng toon. I die to cannon rapid fire with DHC's exponentially more than tric mines with dpb, so I guess DHC's are OP and should be nerfed...because you know, I should never have to die in this game by someone using weapons meant to kill me.
50k tric hit, 100k critical. k no thanks. Any other type of damage is dwarfed next to this joyous weapon. Someone flying around dumping mines everywhere, as opposed to someone struggling to keep their 45 degrees on someone are two different worlds. The mines are obnoxious, and defeat the better player with sudden obnoxious ease.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,786
# 33
11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
All equipment in this game is OP then, because it aids you in defeating your enemies, be they AI bags of hitpoints, or skilled fellow players. Would you all rather have cookie-cutter ships with pre-assigned abilities and equipment that leave you with no customization or choice?

This community throws around the term "Overpowered" like confetti. Back it up with tests and metrics, and we'll be happy to review for tuning, rather than tossing around hyperbole as if there's no tomorrow.

(Yes, I recognize the irony in the way that statement is phrased.)

It's very possible that you're correct in some of these cases, and we've come out and admitted as much in the past, and tuned the abilities accordingly. But jumping to conclusions and labeling something as "OP" before you even have the facts on its function will do nothing but hurt the credibility of the communal voice of this subforum.
I do agree with what you are saying though especially the confetti being thrown at the B'rel is probally the largest burst of OP confetti there is. It's like this... If you want to use the B'rel as a fan of the one in Star Trek 6: Undiscovered Country as a KDF player not only with the various skills out there to decloak you and not to mention the one you can buy off the c-store as a fed but even NPC's with that 3 second decloak to do enough damage to your enemy you are constantly decloaked so really no one needs any of these abilities because for the B'rel user the mechanic itself on how it works decloaking you... You create the window for whoever is attacking you. That's my stance on it because its so OP because its a shieldless ship for an easy kill but it would have been nice if you guys woulda put a doff out there that makes it do the red flash thing like on the movie that only decloaks it for 3 seconds if you are actually using a boff skill that already decloaks the ship. For real though it would be in Cryptic's best interest to make the B'rel more fun to play because its not as OP as all these OP confetti people claim it is in its current state and it would also put more value into the fed ionized gas torp and would make Cryptic money in that regard. At this point for the KDF if this was done for the KDF it would be the same thing for us as having a new and old ship at the same time (can't really call this whining as we see more and more abilities go against the KDF but nothing being added to this ever changing mold for the KDF).
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 380
# 34
11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Who cares if an enemy player, which is not the current selected target, gets 1 subsystem 5 seconds offline.....
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 35
11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
All equipment in this game is OP then, because it aids you in defeating your enemies, be they AI bags of hitpoints, or skilled fellow players. Would you all rather have cookie-cutter ships with pre-assigned abilities and equipment that leave you with no customization or choice?

This community throws around the term "Overpowered" like confetti. Back it up with tests and metrics, and we'll be happy to review for tuning, rather than tossing around hyperbole as if there's no tomorrow.

(Yes, I recognize the irony in the way that statement is phrased.)

It's very possible that you're correct in some of these cases, and we've come out and admitted as much in the past, and tuned the abilities accordingly. But jumping to conclusions and labeling something as "OP" before you even have the facts on its function will do nothing but hurt the credibility of the communal voice of this subforum.
You are aware of the newest exploit thats been happening in Opvp land? Are we going to get silenced again and wait 1 year for a pvp game breaking bug will be fixed? Or do we have to get it announced and discussed in a podcast again before you guys actually believe us? lol.

I understand that OP is being thrown around the corner a bit too much I totally agree, sometimes its also very relative to the player and it really depends on his own skill often, his attitude, and his possibly small amount of experience with the particular thing being called OP, I do agree on that.

I was considering going back to play this game's PvP but now with this new gamebreaking voldemort exploit I'll relinquish from doing just that. No more money from me!!!! Perhaps its time to really find a new MMO

Last edited by marctraiderz; 11-19-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 36
11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakehilbert View Post
Don't be so hard on him. I mean he fixed the BFI doffs.

Granted, it took him 10 months before he did something, but it's something, isn't it? Okay, now they are adding more healing back in via consoles and doffs, but this "one step forward, two steps back" has tradition. Don't shun tradition!


(And maybe someone will fix the FAW [Acc] bug... or play a game against 4-5 carriers and see why pets in this game are a massive balance problem... or get GravPulsed for 40s... or get Gravitic Anchored and see that APO doesn't work... or meet a kdf power drain team... or ...)
Grav pulse 52+ sec is not uncommon either

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxottoman View Post
Don't be fooled by percentages. The sub nuke doff boasts a 1% chance to clear all your buffs. So with what you're saying there's a 99% chance it won't. You see something wrong with th
Wasnt it 3 times 1% roll per weapon cycle (7/8 weapons)??
How much did it proc again? most likely about the same as the weapon procs itself, which is every 15~ish seconds (Just a high approximation from practical experience with 2.5% weap procs) :p

lulzy!!!!!!! i bet since bfi is totally screwed its not the next new viable thing to use!!!

Last edited by marctraiderz; 11-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 82
# 37
11-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
This community throws around the term "Overpowered" like confetti. Back it up with tests and metrics, and we'll be happy to review for tuning, rather than tossing around hyperbole as if there's no tomorrow.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
We've said it before: All powers should have a counter and/or resistance.
.

Pretty much this. The second quote comes from a thread in which actual math and evidence was presented to how op the snb effect from lobi temporal set was. And still is.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 363
# 38
11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctraiderz View Post
Grav pulse 52+ sec is not uncommon either



Wasnt it 3 times 1% roll per weapon cycle (7/8 weapons)??
How much did it proc again? most likely about the same as the weapon procs itself, which is every 15~ish seconds (Just a high approximation from practical experience with 2.5% weap procs) :p

lulzy!!!!!!! i bet since bfi is totally screwed its not the next new viable thing to use!!!
I'm gonna throw confetti around ESD when you return to STO. lol
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,227
# 39
11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxottoman View Post
Don't be fooled by percentages. The sub nuke doff boasts a 1% chance to clear all your buffs. So with what you're saying there's a 99% chance it won't. You see something wrong with the picture here? I do, that's why we don't use the doffs and it's frowned on by many in this community. This doff is close, but not as lethal. You'll see.
You're comparing the proc rate of a Doff that attaches to Energy Weapon activation (several per second, every second of every battle) to one that attaches to a Bridge Officer ability that can, at max, be fired once every 30sec (possibly ~28sec with certain gear).

Talk about apples to hand grenades.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 112
# 40
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The VM-AOE ability works as follows:

5% chance to jump to a 2nd target @ White Quality.
20% chance @ Purple Quality.

If the VM jumps to a second target, it then has a subsequent chance to jump to another target, again using the same % chance as the base Doff quality dictates (5, 10, 15 or 20%).

It can, if you get REALLY lucky, jump up to 4 times, affecting anywhere between 2 and 4 targets in total (one per jump).

The VM that is inflicted on any targets other than the first, is always VM I (Rank 1), as if you were using it with a BO that had no points trained into it. These extra jumps are also not improved by the original caster's skill in Subspace Decompiler - they always last only 5 seconds, and can be reduced with skill in Subsystem Repair.

It's an extra effect. It's not intended to be a huge game-changer, just a fun toy.
How Does this System Engineer synergize with the old System Engineer Proc?

So if you have both types of system engineers, dO the VM jumps trigger the additional shutdowns of the old System Engineers?
Join Date: Sep 2009
[23:35] Horta deals 1738411 (1538303) Toxic Damage to Centurion Engineer with Corrosive Acid.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 PM.