Cryptic Studios Team
# 1 New Romulus Creation Timelapse
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I like me some timelapse photography, and it occurred to me while I was building New Romulus, that it might be fun to see the creation of a whole zone in a few seconds. So I started taking screenshots. 1 a day (or so, some anomolies), from the day the map files were first made back at the beginning of August, until today. 62 images in total, from 14 different positions.

And. . . here they are. Hope you enjoy seeing the process, warts and all.

Staging Area
Starting Platform
The Wall and Reman City
The Atlai looking toward the new bridges.
The Atlai looking toward the Mama Nanov.
Mama Nanov & Waterfalls
Vastam Peaks
The Atlai from the old Bridge
Paehhos Crater
Fallen Tree/Forest
Hwael Ruins
Epohh Fields
The Atlai from the New Bridges
Overall from the Ocean

Note that what's shown here is just the changes made within the game editor from day to day. You'll see that the first images already have a good amount of terrain sculpted, and some very rough textures applied. Those were all made outside the engine in the preceding days.

You'll also see some assets just pop in like they were nothing. Let me assure you that there was lots of work being done on them for days or weeks within 3D Studio Max, and were just updated later with more finished assets. (note, the Bridges, City Wall, Nanov for examples).

Lastly, you may notice some views (the Crater, and the Fallen Tree) start off with the camera underground. As you can see, there was a lot of terrain (and other) changes over the course of the map work. I didn't pick camera locations until most things were roughly in place, then I used some programmer magic to take my computer back in time, and get the shots from earlier in the project.

Anyway, it was fun working on this map, and I'm glad the timelapses turned out for the most part. Hope you like them too.
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Really like the time you put into making the time-lapse this just shows how much work goes into these projects keep it up. These are really nice to watch, do you think that maybe we can see more of these in the future I know that this seems like it was just done for fun, but there is just so much more that could be shown like maybe a time-lapse of a Starship being designed and created.

Have you watched any minecraft time-lapse videos those are a lot of fun to watch too?

EDIT: Any possibility that any of these could be made into video format and add some music to them, those are always a lot of fun to watch and kill some time.

Last edited by ltsmith; 11-19-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Ensign
# 3
11-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Really good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Just shows how much hard work went into it and for me it had the wow factor so job well done.
Career Officer
# 4
11-19-2012, 07:06 PM
This is awesome guys. love seeing how much work goes into making STO! Keep up the good work
Have NO Fear! Cohas is Here
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2012, 07:11 PM
This is really cool! Thanks for posting this, tacofangs!
Career Officer
# 6
11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Super cool stuff Taco, thanks for sharing!

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Career Officer
# 7
11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Nicly done Taco, looking forward to more in the future when you got the time.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Career Officer
# 8
11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Wow, thank you for sharing these, very awesome to see!
Republic Veteran
# 10
11-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks for sharing, I always found it cool to see how some of this stuff comes together.