Captain
# 51
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveks View Post
And I'll tell you that - despite having nearly the same setup and equipment on my fed sci flying a tactical vesta with 4 phaser relays I still cannot deal the same amount of damage I usually do with the kdf sci on Kar'Fi. I don't know why is that, honestly, as the only major difference is the Plasmonic Leech console, another hangar and bio-neural torpedo I use in the 4th fore slot. And the only major downside on Kar'Fi's part is slower turn rate and lack of sensor analysis, really.
On the Vesta, if you throw everything into Aux like most, you'll starve the rear turrets during CSV and CRF, which has a larger impact on DPS than most people probably think. On the Kar'fi if you're running the KHG 2-piece set, particularly with the engines, on top of the Plasmonic Leech, you'll have respectable Aux levels even with full power to weapons. Plus, the Kar'fi can shoot out pets a lot faster from it's dual hangars, and the frigates are very nice damage dealers.
Survivor of Romulus
# 52
11-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Im a Sci captain so I got the 3 pack, and then started tinkering

I use the science Vesta to great effect I use sci boffs for the LCMDR and CMDR slots, eng boffs for Lt. and ENS, and a Tac Lt.

and it works nicely,
all are fleet advanced weapons.. 2x Phaser Dual Beam Banks and Quantum Torp forward
and 2x Phaser Beam Arrays Aft with a tricobalt Mine Despenser...

I also make use of the FULL 3 piece MACO, and the Universal Consoles for Graviton Pulse Generator and the Universal off of the tactical Vesta for the phaser lance

I hardly ever launch my runabouts......

works pretty well

works great as a support Crowd Control ship in PVP

Gravwell + Energy Leech works pretty well with Subsystem Targeting, drop a tricobalt mine off on thier nose and BOOM

if you wanna wait and see if you dont need the mine you drop to 1/4 impulse hit them with a tractor beam pop an Aux battery and fire the Phaser lance if he's still there after that drop the Tricobalt mine and then pop evasive to get out quickly..... still boom...
Major Xi'Zzin
I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
I have never trusted humans, and I never will
Starfleet Veteran
# 53
11-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoriansrus View Post
Im a Sci captain so I got the 3 pack, and then started tinkering

I use the science Vesta to great effect I use sci boffs for the LCMDR and CMDR slots, eng boffs for Lt. and ENS, and a Tac Lt.

and it works nicely,
all are fleet advanced weapons.. 2x Phaser Dual Beam Banks and Quantum Torp forward
and 2x Phaser Beam Arrays Aft with a tricobalt Mine Despenser...

I also make use of the FULL 3 piece MACO, and the Universal Consoles for Graviton Pulse Generator and the Universal off of the tactical Vesta for the phaser lance
That's almost exactly the same as my current setup, but I'm not too good with using Sci abilities yet so my LtCdr Universal has a Tac so I can use more beam abilities, and I also replaced Phaser Lance with Fermion field.

What kinds of Sci abilities would you recommend? My current Boff setup is:

CDR Science: Transfer Shield I, Haz Emitters 2, Viral Matrix I, Gravity Well II
Lt Cdr Universal (Tac): Tac Team I, Fire at Will II, Attack Pattern Beta II
Lt Tac: Tac Team I, Beam Overload II
Ensign Universal (Eng): Emergency Power shields I
Lt. Eng: Emer. Power Shields I, Reverse Polarity I
Survivor of Romulus
# 54
11-19-2012, 11:25 PM
I use

CMDR Sci : Tractor Beam I, Science Team II, Energy Siphon II, and Gravwell III
LtCmdr Uni: Sci, Polarize hull I, Hazard Emitters, Transfer Shield Strength III
Lt Tac: Torpedo Spread I, Dispersal Pattern Alpha I
Ens Uni: Eng, Emergency Power to shields I
Lt Eng: Emergency Power to Shields I, Reverse Shield Polarity I

my personal build is specced to it

my power levels are
Weaps: 75, Shields: 50, Engine: 25, Aux: 50
with my skills those levels are significantly higher... and can be boosted with Energy Siphon or a battery ( I keep a stack of Aux Batteries handy )

I use the Quantum Field Focus Generator, the Gravitic Pulse Console, and Theta radiation Vents Console..... I also get the Heavy Graviton Beam from the MACO Mk XII set

I use (forward weapons)
2 Fleet Advanced Phaser Beam Banks Mk XII [Dmg]x3 [Acc]
1 Fleet Advanced Quantum Torpedo launcher Mk XII [Dmg]x3 [Acc]
(aft weapons)
2 Fleet Advanced Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [Dmg]x3 [Acc]
1 Fleet Advanced Tricobalt Mine Despenser Mk XII[Dmg]x3 [CrtH]

thought I would let you see the Build that this build started from

I.S.S. Constrictor
Major Xi'Zzin
I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
I have never trusted humans, and I never will

Last edited by andoriansrus; 11-19-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Career Officer
# 55
11-20-2012, 03:35 AM
Interesting how so many are dropping the Aux cannons in favor of other forward weapons.

Not critising though - just an observation.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 56
11-20-2012, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Interesting how so many are dropping the Aux cannons in favor of other forward weapons.

Not critising though - just an observation.
The thing with the Aux Cannons is that they are good in theory, but in practice actually can be... well clunky. They don't synergize well with other weapons at all. Simply because they are the only weapons we currently have access to that run on Aux. All other weapons (minus torps and mines) run off of weapon power. If you have 25/50/25/100 settings, only your aux cannons will be doing damage, while whatever you have on the rear, unless you are constantly shuffling power around (which most skilled players can do, but it's tedious as hell) will be insufferably weak.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
# 57
11-20-2012, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
The thing with the Aux Cannons is that they are good in theory, but in practice actually can be... well clunky. They don't synergize well with other weapons at all. Simply because they are the only weapons we currently have access to that run on Aux. All other weapons (minus torps and mines) run off of weapon power. If you have 25/50/25/100 settings, only your aux cannons will be doing damage, while whatever you have on the rear, unless you are constantly shuffling power around (which most skilled players can do, but it's tedious as hell) will be insufferably weak.
True - I currently run one (phaser) beam array aft, with two photon torpdeo launchers (for their quick reload time).

As you say, with most of my focus on aux power there isn't a great deal left for weapons. On the other hand I only really use that beam array to facilitate sub-system targeting, so it's not really too much of a concern.

I am considering popping the phaser Quad cannon, from the Sao Paulo, on forward with a DHC and the rapidfire Transphasic Torpedo launcher - for my Tac toon anyway; will likely stick with the aux cannons with my sci, as prefer crowd control and healing over DPS when playing Sci anyway.

* Edit - tried this with my tac, as stated, and pretty pleased - did fair DPS (not overwhelming, but more than enough that I can hold my own and not be a burden). Swapped out the aft torpedo launchers too; replaced one slot with a turret and the another with a MkXII Tric launcher, to good effect!

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY

Last edited by reyan01; 11-20-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Career Officer
# 58
11-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm thinking about simply swapping back to an all antiproton build, because that's what I've always used and I have consoles to boost AP and I don't have any phaser boosting consoles. So a more conventional AP build might be more practical for me even if it means abandoning some of the bells & whistles aspects of the vesta. However I'm returning to the game after a year's absence so this might be a completely retarded idea without me knowing it.
Captain
# 59
11-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beraht View Post
I'm thinking about simply swapping back to an all antiproton build, because that's what I've always used and I have consoles to boost AP and I don't have any phaser boosting consoles. So a more conventional AP build might be more practical for me even if it means abandoning some of the bells & whistles aspects of the vesta. However I'm returning to the game after a year's absence so this might be a completely retarded idea without me knowing it.
It'd make the deflector phaser not particularly useful, unless you compensate with more Particle Gen consoles, and you have to go back to the fragile balancing act of Aux vs. Wep power that an average Sci ship does. Nothing inherently wrong with going AP on it, though most Sci's go with an energy for it's effect. I was using Polarized Disruptors prior to the Vesta on my Sci, which is a nice dual-proc if you have maxed Flow Caps, though the Tac consoles for Disruptors are probably more expensive than Phaser via the Exchange. In the time you've been away the various energy procs got buffed, and the Phaser proc slightly nerfed (immunity for so many seconds on that target for that proc), while AP has stayed pretty much the same. Just a note, Mk XI blue consoles can be bought from the Dil Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
I've been considering re-grabbing the Jem'Hadar engines just to give a bit more power to the rear weapons. My Eng in the Aventine with the Borg console on the Aventine and stacked Warp Core Potential/Efficiency can handle the load decently OK, but on my Sci that's bouncing between the versions I'm considering going 2x Tric mines in the back and one turret since the power demands are not being met very well. Once the adapted set is available, the extra power from the engines and/or two piece set can make most of the power issues go away with some minor adjustments.

Last edited by tom61sto; 11-20-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 60
11-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I have been thinking about this setup:

Three aux DHCs front

One torpedo and then two tricobalt mines rear. Might even be a great use for that 180 torpedo to limit the turning needed to being it to bear.

Load the appropriate boff abilities and I think you can have a tanky, DPS centered vesta. Full power to aux and then whatever elsewhere.

Thoughts....