Lt. Commander
# 221
11-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I'm not going to claim that I'm in love with everything having to do with the Rep system, but I don't fully agree with the complaint about 40 hour projects.

If that was in-game time, I'd be really upset. But it's real-time. Less than 2 days. It's not a heck of a lot different from the starbase projects in that respect. Sure it could be shorter, but anybody paying attention to what the devs were saying about it knew that they were time-gating it just like they time-gate the starbases. They don't want people with a ton of money and in-game resources throwing stuff at it and completing it in a month.

It's meant to be a long-term kind of thing that hooks people into coming back, not a "gotta grind it now" thing.

Hopefully Cryptic will listen to the feedback and scale the time back a little (among other things). But I don't expect those projects to take less than a day to complete and I doubt Cryptic will even go that far.

That said, I get the frustration from STF'rs who don't want to grind STF's all over again to get the gear. The grind may turn out to be less for new players in the long run, but you guys are stuck with it and I feel for you.
The problem isn't the countdown timer's length . It's the fact that countdown is there for everything you do ( every project and unlock item ) .What's the point of a store then ? It's an artificial mechanism to slow down progression,just like the refinement cap and the huge amount of dilithium sinks are . It's unimaginative design and shows a distinct lack of ideas. Apparently they put in this slowing mechanism to make sure folks won't become bored due to lack of content ,but it would be more prudent to make sure that doesn't happen by producing more content .The fact they put this into the game shows they have no plans whatsoever to speed up additional content-release .
Career Officer
# 222
11-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
It's meant to be a long-term kind] of thing that hooks people into coming back, not a "gotta grind it now" thing.
Thus far I've had a number of fleet members leave because of changes, I myself have had the worst weekend in the game since I started (admittedly I've only been here since season 6). For player like me who is usually quite casual, this is a killer. Weekends are when I have free time to play. I now come on line on the weekends queue up stuff, play 1 STF or two (And btw they way the STF community has died a death) and then really apart from a few other PVE bits and bobs thats really it, it all feels like a choir to be honest.

The STF community and the team play was the fun part of the game for me the thing that counteracted the grind, which I have never really liked all that much. Now that's gone and uncertain to ever return, especially for the ground aspect.

From what I read and see in-game instead of hooking people into coming back it's turned them off. We log in do our choirs to progress then chat on one of the chans for a bit then leave. Perhaps it's different in larger fleets, but for smaller fleets it's a death-knell and it won't be long before players will move on and join larger fleets.

Overall I think for a lot of us it's had the opposite effect of what was supposedly intended.

I understand PW wants PWE and Cryptic to turn ever increasing profits and that is only an normal and fair expectation of growing a business. But there is a fine line between increasing profits and retaining value for customers and increasing profits and destroying the precieved value of the item for customers.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 11-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Captain
# 223
11-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwessels View Post
The fact they put this into the game shows they have no plans whatsoever to speed up additional content-release .
Well we wouldnt want to take away the time the STO devs are loaned to the Neverwinter team during the week.....
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
"Captain, the entity appears to be A New Accord"
Ensign
# 224
11-19-2012, 08:34 PM
I feel like there's way too much complaining about 99% of things in this game (I'm perfectly find with PW running, you know, a business) but I do agree with those who find this new rep system to be off-puttingly long and the project unlocks to be pretty poorly balanced on top of that (why would I be willing to take days out of the long slog of the repeatable rep projects to unlock Mark X gear (or ridiculously priced consumables?) as opposed to just waiting until I finally reach the higher tiers? It doesn't make sense to add new content with no incentive to actually use it.

One thing I'm wondering though - do we definitely know (from Tribble players, I guess) that it will really take 50-whatever days to complete the reputation tiers? It does seem within the realm of possibility that there could be different reputation projects in T2 and beyond besides the two repeatables we've seen at T0 and T1. Just a thought.
Lieutenant
# 225
11-19-2012, 08:47 PM
The system itself is fine, it's just a matter of balance. These are values that don't take too much work to change, as opposed to redesigning the system. But, changing them also changes the pace and type of game Cryptic wants to make. This would ideally be an open discussion with Cryptic.
Career Officer
# 226
11-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungratefuldead88 View Post
I feel like there's way too much complaining about 99% of things in this game (I'm perfectly find with PW running, you know, a business)
Well, if 99% of things are broken/suck...

PWE is in the entertainment business. Are they supplying that as well as they could be?
I think not. Happy customers spend more money. Frustrated customers leave.

The Star Trek IP is the reason most players came, and why they have put up with the crap. But that will only outweigh the frustration for so long. Then STO goes away.

Helpful hint: If you ever see a flood of REALLY good/over-powered Z-store items, save your money! Because the end of STO is near and PWE is trying to squeeze that last bit of money out of you before shutting it down.
Starfleet Veteran
# 227
11-19-2012, 11:42 PM
lets face it theres a lot of good games out right now such as GW2, Planetside2, BF3, MOHW and others that you do quesiton why waste your time on this game anymore ?

Ive seen all season launches (having been around since day 1) and season 7 is the most lackluster season launch yet. Thats not to take away from the good work thats been done, but its overshadowed by the greed and corruption of PWE/Cryptic and you quesiton how long this game can keep going. The only reason I will keep coming back to this game is in game friends as for without them Id have no hesitation moving on. Lets face it if ths game didnt have the star trek IP would you still continue to throw money at it ? ... didnt think so.

Its been a good ride and a great journey but unless DStahl swallows his pride and his arrogance then no changes are gonna be made because no matter how much constructive criticism there is, it never gets listened to or implemented.
Republic Veteran
# 228
11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
Well, if 99% of things are broken/suck...

PWE is in the entertainment business. Are they supplying that as well as they could be?
I think not. Happy customers spend more money. Frustrated customers leave.

The Star Trek IP is the reason most players came, and why they have put up with the crap. But that will only outweigh the frustration for so long. Then STO goes away.

Helpful hint: If you ever see a flood of REALLY good/over-powered Z-store items, save your money! Because the end of STO is near and PWE is trying to squeeze that last bit of money out of you before shutting it down.
STO is always near the end. lol
Another box

Rihannsu
# 229
11-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
STO is always near the end. lol
like sto is always doing great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Republic Veteran
# 230
11-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
like sto is always doing great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope STO is not doing great, it's doing fine.
Another box