Lt. Commander
# 11
01-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviKerensky View Post
Remember, Cryptic received full pay for any STO game being sold. Prices are reduced to eliminate non-selling games, if nothing else, to make room on the shelves.
And full pay for a boxed copy of an MMO might be next to nil.

My suspicion is that any profits made on boxed sales were probably around $5 a copy and went entirely to Atari.

Not honoring CD keys as payment for gametime aside from the initial 30 days and the wrangling that ousted Atari from Neverwinter buth happened with the divestment and both, I suspect, were rooted in Atari jerking STO around.

Coderanger popped up on a game forum awhile back and said that Atari was trying to hold onto the Champions IP and charge Cryptic a licensing fee for it during the divestment as well.

I'm not saying Cryptic has always been smart or always delivered and a couple of times I've felt jerked around by them... But I think they were getting jerked around by Atari even harder, especially after the CEO change in late fall of 2010.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Figures. I guess rest of the world will never get the Red Matter Capacitor.
If you can get your hands on a copy, you can use the code.

I've used UK Champions codes on my account.

The thing is, shipping the actual software qualifies as arms dealing across borders, due to some very stupid laws. But if you can just get the CD code off a friend, you can get it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-17-2012, 01:52 AM
Yeah, it is worth it just for the uniforms and red matter capacitor, because face it, most of us are probably either TNG, DS9, or Voyager fans and are willing to pay for those uniforms.

I mean, they sell the trek costume pins by themselves for $15 and Amazon ships for free, two days to your door.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Yeah IIRC you can register one key for each retail version of the game. So you can register one CE, one Steam DDE, one steam standard version, possibly even one Amazon and one Amazon DDE.

When I first started the game I got 3-4 months playtime along with a bunch of preorder/digital bonuses by picking up retail versions of the game for far less than the cost of a monthly sub. The games were routinely on sale for like $5 each, so a month of game time for $5 was a good deal to start, and then add on top of those the digital bonuses.
Ensign
# 15
11-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Hello guyz, anyone know where buy only CD-Key ?
Career Officer
# 16
11-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredd23cz View Post
Hello guyz, anyone know where buy only CD-Key ?
Probably nowhere...your best bet is to snatch one on ebay cheap. That's what I did, but it hasn't arrived yet :|
Ensign
# 17
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
for 7 dollars it is worth buying if you could get the extra time on your account. And I bought one and those badges are nice.
Ensign
# 18
11-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Yea, buy full box will be nice becose I prefer Complete Box. But I'm from Europe and Shipping will be not 7 USD from US
Captain
# 19
11-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
If you can get your hands on a copy, you can use the code.

I've used UK Champions codes on my account.

The thing is, shipping the actual software qualifies as arms dealing across borders, due to some very stupid laws. But if you can just get the CD code off a friend, you can get it.
But that's just the software right? So if someone had a trustworthy friend in the US, that friend could open the box and remove the CD, then mail all the rest out of country safely yes?