Lieutenant
# 21
11-20-2012, 04:42 AM
A very interesting look into the way you work. And it's great work. Thanks!
Captain
# 22
11-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Those are awesome. Thank you so much for New Romulus - a new world to explore is exactly what we needed in the game.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Empire Veteran
# 23
11-20-2012, 07:56 AM
That's really interesting, I like seeing the constant changes made on textures, colors (always softer after a few weird attempts) or props size (often getting much smaller than initillay intended).

Why do you often make props smaller btw?
Career Officer
# 24
11-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Nice, very interesting to see this. Thanks for posting it.

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Cryptic Studios Team
# 25
11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks everyone. Glad you like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Thanks for sharing Tumerboy.

Can you give some insight as to why the city background changed so dramatically, e.g. going from what would have been buildings behind the wall to nothing (visible). You probably changed tac considering its a 'new' colony etc, but maybe some of those original tall buildings could have remained as metalwork structures in development like some assets of the wall have? Perhaps you took them out completely since we don't have a great vantage point on the ground (for the most part) to even see that much behind the wall to notice any metalframe buildings in any case?
The original "buildings" were just big whiteboxes, and were only there to represent the fact that that big circle was the city. It hadn't been decided what that whole thing was going to look like at that point, and it didn't matter for me to build the rest of the zone. Just had to be representational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
p.s. The one thing I'd add to the map myself, would be taking a leaf from the Salt Mine missions where you evacuate the miners, except in reverse. I'd like to see that amazing Romulan shuttle come in to land, some Romulan settler NPCs spawn from it, get greeted by one of D'tan's lackeys and then walk themselves up to and into the gates of the city. The shuttle takes off, and soon another arrives etc. It would give a greater feeling of activity to the area perhaps.
I agree, that would be super cool, but would require custom animations, and likely blocking off the whole landing pad to players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Awesome TACO, simply amazing the amount of work that goes into these projects. It was fairly obvious from first arriving on NR that a lot of thought, care, hard work and talent had gone into the whole map, but these gifs really show just how much and then some.

One question, what gif creator did you use as I'm always on the lookout for a good one for my fleet website.

Cheers

ADDED: Again please consider a day night cycle, it would be awesome

Thanks, I just assembled them in Photoshop that we have here at work (CS4 or 5 I think?)

A day/night cycle could be nice, but it takes significantly more time to set up than people might think. And I didn't have that kind of time for NR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
That's really interesting, I like seeing the constant changes made on textures, colors (always softer after a few weird attempts) or props size (often getting much smaller than initillay intended).

Why do you often make props smaller btw?
Not sure. What props are you talking about?
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?

Last edited by tacofangs; 11-20-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Career Officer
# 26
11-20-2012, 10:10 AM
The evolution of the giant Derptopus is interesting.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 27
11-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
Derptopus
This nickname made me laugh out loud. And not one of those phony "lols" you see online, either.

Internally, we didn't know exactly what that thing was going to look like until New Romulus was well on its way. We knew it'd be a large river-dwelling beast, so we took to calling it The River Pig internally.

But I think I like Derptopus a lot more.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
11-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Excellent work on New Romulus !! Is this type of map something that the devs are looking to implement on other worlds, such as Andoria for Andorian reputation, or Vulcan for Vulcan reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
A day/night cycle could be nice, but it takes significantly more time to set up than people might think. And I didn't have that kind of time for NR.
Now that New Romulus is out, what are the possibilities of going back to add in the day/night cycle?
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
11-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Very impressive stuff Although I would have preferred that the Altai had remained a wide, strong river, instead of the more creek-like tributary it currently resembles. Was this changed due to lack of swimming tech in STO (required for traversing a big, deep river on foot)?

I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
And remember to follow the rules.
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
11-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
This nickname made me laugh out loud. And not one of those phony "lols" you see online, either.

Internally, we didn't know exactly what that thing was going to look like until New Romulus was well on its way. We knew it'd be a large river-dwelling beast, so we took to calling it The River Pig internally.

But I think I like Derptopus a lot more.
Is the appellation "Derptopus" to be the lifeform's official name?

Yes, it's a "Galaxy's Child" reference...