Lieutenant
# 31
11-17-2012, 06:05 AM
We all knew that season 7 was going to be bad for fleets and increase the strain upon them. Season 7 was a knife gut shot to season 6 and Cryptic intended it to be.

Once clickers were removed this increased the strain 1000%. Season 7 was going to bring in competition for dilithium. Clicker removal made fleet marks a problem for fleets as well.

Even if players can go buy zen and convert it to dilithium there isnt a lot of replacement for fleet marks. And many players just do not like the fleet mark missions. For fleets under 25 active players the grind is horrific.

The common recurring thread for the last few seasons has been to drop something that would result in people needing to buy more stuff ie doff packs or to increase the grind.

It would be nice if they would release a season that made the game easier and more fun for the players. Constantly increasing the grind does not make it more fun for players. Holding more carrots to chase 6 inches in front of my nose does not mean Im eager to attend Mule Day if Im the one pulling the wagon.

I really dont think most players fully understood the screeching braking action of fleet progression once clickers, fleet marks, and dilithium was sharply curtailed in the game.

A lot of small fleets or groups of people had dreams of splitting from a fleet - opening a new one - and progressing. I think it was good for the game. Thats probably dying now. Even some of the larger 350+ member fleets that Im in are scratching their heads about sucky 7. The smaller ones under 15 members active are just almost resigning themselves to punting dreams of fleet base progression. It aint going to happen - ever. Even the guys that buy $100 worth of zen a month cant bully up enough fleet marks to move their starbase projects forward.... but wait ... might not be long till someone comes up with a fleet mark for zen exchange .... lol ....
Captain
# 32
11-17-2012, 09:04 AM
The biggest problem I think a lot of people have is that a lot of fleets have become all about the starbase and not about the people - Cryptic seems to be feeding this with the constant add on of things.

Add to that and they are gating content behind these functionless space castles and you have players turning the fleet thing into a job - no wonder there are so many people going awol in fleets.
Career Officer
# 33
11-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Well, my small fleet hasn't bothered to queue up the ridiculous disco floor. For the first time, I personally did not do so and immediately fill it with 200k dilithium as with the previous special projects.

My main concern is not so much the dilithium, but the fleet marks - previously we could do some clickies to acquire marks to feed into the starbase (which was great, b/c aside from Role-playing with my guild, I'm not into doing quick MP shoot-em-up fleet actions or STFs). Without that the projects are just sitting there waiting on fleet marks

I can only imagine a few medium sized fleets or greater continuing to build, and a "strip-mall" effect on all the small fleet run stations mostly abandoned across the neutral zone.

My small fleet's starbase made its way almost to level 2... most likely we'll get there some day but I doubt we'll ever advance any further beyond.

Our base building went from "Hours instead of days! ... minutes instead of hours!" to months instead of days and years instead of month.

Is this a "whine"? No. It's the way it is - someone asked how it affected our fleets and I'm replying.

There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
Survivor of Romulus
# 34
11-17-2012, 09:40 AM
I own the Aggressive Negotiations fleet and pre-season 6 launch we were at 15 people. Then between college starting up and people getting bored of the season 6 content a couple of weeks into it we dropped to 8 people. THEN the information about season 7 started come out and BOOM, they took one look at the dil requirements and off for the hills they went running, most finally fed up with the constant grind the end game content has become left the game completely, now down to 2 people.

The 1 click dailies were a HUGE resource for us smaller fleets, not only in fleet marks but also a little shot of dilithium. Some people can only play for an hour or two during the week and the last thing they want to do it grind out resources for some sink system.

There definitely needs to be some type of "Alliance" system where we smaller fleets can pool our resources to help each other. I've still got over 500 fleet marks just sitting waiting to be used because it takes so long to grind out the dilithium needed for the projects, and I'm sure on the other hand there's someone on a another small fleet that probably has dilithium just sitting around or some other resource I don't have.

On top of all that we lost a huge EC resource in the STF loot drops as well. Why devote an entire season to this huge elaborate Fleet system only to sabotage it in the next season.

And to anyone that says just recruit more fleet members......yeah been trying. Everyone either wants in with the huge fleets or is still buying into Cryptic saying that small fleets can progress through the fleet system no problem.

One of the biggest aspects about Star Trek is the Mighty Federation of Planets, all working together for the betterment of all, well damn it Cryptic give us fleets some way of doing just that. You can't tell me with all the people you've got working for you now that you can't come up with some type of add-on to the fleet system were little to no exploitation of something like this could happen. For that matter I've got this to ask, When you're giving out information about fleet sizes and how you're looking over the data, are you looking at fleet sizes as a whole (including alts) or the actual amount of people without alts??

If nothing else make fleet marks and dilithium account bound but only transferable through shared bank space so you're getting your c-store micro-transaction for the account shared bank space from us f2p and give us a spot on the forums for fleet alliances and we'll do the rest.
Career Officer
# 35
11-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Pffft...I am the only "active" member left in my Fleet...My Security Chief Fred (Breen Boff)...launched alll the AWOL "inactives" out the #6 air lock when they didnt come back after 6mos or longer. Now its just me and a few of the founding "inactive" members left.

With that said...I have been building my Star Base and it is almost complete (Tier 1) by myself. I have also been helping with 2 other Star Bases that my Alts belong too. I have well over 100 million ECs in the bank, Omega/Maco MK XII space equipment 1 on an Heavy Crusier PvPer and 1 on a Heavy Destroyer STFer, 115 outfits, over 30 Boffs on my main, 16 alts and 20+ "well" outfitted ships.

Allmost all the Trophys you can get, 8.7 million Latnium bars, 8600+ accolade pts and the list goes on.

So what does all this mean to the Player base or the Dev's?...not a damn thing...it just means I am having fun and not worried about how long it will take to build my Star Base or Embassy or Tier 5 rep or anything else.

I am not in the dilth Rat Race. I buy dilth when I need to, mostly for the SB projects ie: Morn and the dance floor. But if the floor falls out of the dilth market I wont be buying dilth anymore either.

In closing, if you are a small fleet, you choose to be and have to live with an "I cannot have it all today" attitude. The game is built for Med/Lrg Fleets, allways has been, nothing has changed in that regard. There is no more "get to the end game" in 3 days or less anymore because of LOTS more content and I like that...so slow down and enjoy some of the things STO has to offer.

Happy Hunting...
"Sips her PWE Koolaide and looks at alllll the goodies in the Z store"
Badname Betty (PvP...PvE...STF...Trophy Hunter...Latnium Collector...Federation)
Commander Morgana (PvP...PvE...STF...KDF)
1000 day vet and LTS
STO Join date: 7 Feb 2010

Last edited by zachverant; 11-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 36
11-17-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm not adverse to a slowdown in attaining goals, our small fleet already was resigned to that once we hit Tier 3. What PW and Cryptic apparently fail to realize is that we need to have something that will at least give us the illusion of progress, or we WILL get discouraged and stop playing.
"Susse-thrai" had been the name bestowed upon her, half in anger, half in affection, by her old crew on Bloodwing; the keen-nosed, cranky, wily old she-beast, never less dangerous than when you thought her defenseless, and always growing new teeth far back in her throat to replace the old ones broken in biting out the last foe's heart.
Romulans: left one homeworld, lost another, third time's the charm?
Captain
# 37
11-20-2012, 05:10 AM
So just a check-up to see if starbase production is slowing down - fleet members going awol more often or even leaving the game?

How's it going?
Career Officer
# 38
11-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Our Fleet started as a group that had a Call of Duty Clan starting with CoD1. First MMO for us all but all avid Trekkies. By the time Season 6 dropped we were only 2 Active out of 7 original.

The two of us ground SB to Tier 1. At that time we found a LTS(Beta) who was homeless and fit with us. The 3 of us ground out Tier 2 rather quickly. Then in Sept we lost the other original member. So with the drop of S7, the 2 of us are just chugging along halfway to T3.
What hurt us most is the player we lost was the one most devoted to grinding Fleet Marks. I only run during Bonus Times and always with my Fleet Mark Bonus active. We are still working it, but with the amount of individual things needing investment; it has slowed.
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-20-2012, 05:59 AM
My solo fleet ground to a halt. Limiting factor is Fleet Marks, the majority of which I was getting via the Officer dailies.

I had fully expected it to take until Februrary for me to complete to tier 3, but with the removal of the dailies giving 50 fleet marks, the reality is it'll never finish.

Pretty much changed me from logging in twice a day to logging in when I've nothing better to do. Pushing STO down my priority list means it's not likely to get any discretionary spending from me.

While the dailies might have been a problem for dilithium generation, the blunt act of just canning them while reorganising them has killed me mood to play.

Before anyone chimes in and says "just join a larger fleet, solo play isn't for MMO's" have a think about what's likely to happen if my goal lasting to February is completed effectively instantly. Game over.

The Fleet mark issue needs resolved or Starbases are going to die, either quickly (like mine) or a slow death for intermediate sizes.
Captain
# 40
11-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumosmith View Post
My solo fleet ground to a halt. Limiting factor is Fleet Marks, the majority of which I was getting via the Officer dailies.

I had fully expected it to take until Februrary for me to complete to tier 3, but with the removal of the dailies giving 50 fleet marks, the reality is it'll never finish.

Pretty much changed me from logging in twice a day to logging in when I've nothing better to do. Pushing STO down my priority list means it's not likely to get any discretionary spending from me.

While the dailies might have been a problem for dilithium generation, the blunt act of just canning them while reorganising them has killed me mood to play.

Before anyone chimes in and says "just join a larger fleet, solo play isn't for MMO's" have a think about what's likely to happen if my goal lasting to February is completed effectively instantly. Game over.

The Fleet mark issue needs resolved or Starbases are going to die, either quickly (like mine) or a slow death for intermediate sizes.
Well they have made the small fleet starbase easier in the requirements - just more grinding for the fleet marks. So while it is MUCH cheaper for the small fleets to reach T3 it will take much more time.

The large fleets just keep churming through players - the top people make the grunts contribute then toss them away if they don't.