Empire Veteran
# 51
11-20-2012, 08:01 AM
The attitudes and griefing is far worse in EVE, where I've heard players do some horrible things in the name of griefing.

I have no issue with anyone using anything as long as it is not knowingly bugged and unbalanced into offering an advantage beyond its design.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.

Last edited by bitemepwe; 11-20-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Captain
# 52
11-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
The attitudes and griefing is far worse in EVE, where I've heard players do some horrible things in the name of griefing.
Goonswarm much?
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Captain
# 53
11-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
CCP actively promotes griefing.
Empire Veteran
# 54
11-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
CCP actively promotes griefing.
I know. Played for years. The players in EVE have elevated Griefing to an artform.

STO is a flaccid shadow by comparison.
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Career Officer
# 55
11-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
I play to have fun.

Winning or losing means nothing... there's no cake, no pie, not even a piece of toast.

It's not back in the day with UO, SB, AO, nor EVE - it's not even ranking in WoW.

It's extremely casual PvP... I play to have fun.

Some people take it far too seriously... if I was going to lose my stuff, if I was going to lose territory - my city - etc, etc, etc... then yeah, play to win - play to crush.

STO though? Heh, lol...
This.

The best PVP matches i've ever had were equal, clear of broken mechanics, between two teams that communicate, where you couldn't guess at ANY time in the match which team would win.

When you have games like that it's really not important if you won or not, the games are so close that it's fun in itself.

As for TSI and their constant use of broken tech/exploits, what does it matter anymore? Thankfully most have run to GW2/MWO.
Captain
# 56
11-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
I know. Played for years. The players in EVE have elevated Griefing to an artform.

STO is a flaccid shadow by comparison.
Thats EVE. EVE is a 100% pvp oriented game which encourages stuff like that. There is so much at stake of losing everything you own, that both friendly and unfriendly banter becomes the EVE culture.

Oh the fun days i had in KIA and BoB.
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Empire Veteran
# 57
11-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorasx View Post
Goonswarm much?
Ran a Blockade Runner with covert OPs cloak into many areas I was not invited to sell my wares.
Empire Veteran
# 58
11-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Thats EVE. EVE is a 100% pvp oriented game which encourages stuff like that. There is so much at stake of losing everything you own, that both friendly and unfriendly banter becomes the EVE culture.

Oh the fun days i had in KIA and BoB.
I haven't played in a long time. I heard BoB space finally collapsed. Is it true?
Career Officer
# 59
11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
4. Lymuv may or may not be available for reproductive purposes. Send pics.
*Runs off to fetch his purple smoking jacket, eye-patch, tiger-stripe budgy smugglers & camera*
Captain
# 60
11-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Oki, lets use concret examples, and i want examples how I or others in my fleet have been using bugs or obvious gamebreaking exploits.

Have you seen me or any in my fleet use obvious bugs like the vold bug? If you do, tell me at once. How you seen any of us use cheap skills like grav pulse, AMS, grav anchor of late? Heck if Hilbert knew if anyone did, there would be a huge quarrel on vent.

edit: What other fleets or player do is their concern.
Er... I quoted what you said. Earlier in the thread you state that those who exploit bugs should maybe also be considered a nuisance - then - later in the thread you admit that you and your fleet have utilized broken stuff (under the premise of promoting change).

Why does somebody have to provide concrete examples of something that you have proudly proclaimed...?

If Ability A is supposed to do X, but instead it is doing Y - that's a bug - it's broken.
If X is supposed to affect Ability A in a certain way, but it is not - that's a bug - it's broken.
Just because something is not a gamebreaking bug - does not mean it is not a bug.

If you had just said that you utilized everything that Cryptic gave us - outside of bugged items/abilities - well, then that's just using everything that Cryptic gave us. Some might write that off as just the typical P2W stuff that takes place...

...but you made a point to exclude P2W from your statement. It was about using broken stuff. Whether one were ever to see you or your fleet in the game, they may have read what you said there - and - that leads to a reputation. A reputation that could taint anything else that you do.

Random Guy#1: Man, those guys are really good.
Random Guy#2: Hrmm, I read that they use broken stuff and admit it.
Random Guy#1: I wonder if they were using broken stuff when they beat us.
Random Guy#2: Might be best just to avoid them, eh?
Random Guy#1: Yeah, I guess. I'm kind of ticked now. I was giving them attaboys.

Like I said earlier in the thread - the only one of the three that's a pet peeve was the bragging part. That particular post from you - basically came off as saying anybody that didn't play to win (including broken stuff, but not P2W (yeah, explain that one)) is a scrub.

Hence why I asked what I did early on in our discussion here - whether you realized what you were saying and how it could affect reputation or not. If I'd had more caffeine at that time, I might have been more clear about it - and for that - I apologize.