Captain
# 41
11-20-2012, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvehero View Post
hmm... it's flagged as critical. Borg are not supposed to score critical hits...

still, even without critical, I've seen close to 60k from an un-buffed torp...
What? Since when? Borg have been critting the entire time I've been playing. And I will agree, the borg are much stronger than they used to be. But as I have stated before, I don't have a real issue with it, just means I have to play more carefully.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Rihannsu
# 42
11-20-2012, 05:41 AM
It's not just the borg. It would seem it's Plasma Torpedos in general. Romulan NPCs in Tau Dewa patrol can't to much to most of my ships most of the time, but there have been several occasions where a single torpedo has taken out most of my hull without even scrathing the shields. Just like that - 100% Shields and 100% => *poof* => 100% shields and 20% HP...

There's a lot of new plasma weaponry introduced with Season 7. Perhaps something has changed in this matter, that influenced enemy NPCs as well?
Empire Veteran
# 43
11-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
As Borticus said, there haven't been any intentional changes to make the Borg harder. I'll take another look at their torpedoes, though - those damage numbers do sound too high.

We've had some general tech changes that could be impacting things (like breaking Tachyon Harmonic) even if the Systems Designers haven't been intentionally rebalancing anything. For example, as I mentioned in another thread, the way certain targeting cones work was changed - that's cut down the "safe spots" above and below Borg Cubes.

As a general rule, we don't want players in level appropriate gear to be one-shotted. There can be some exceptions for special mechanics - like if players are out of position in the fight with the two Unimatrix ships and get hit by the lance, for example. Normal torpedoes shouldn't be producing that kind of burst damage.

I'll try to track down what's causing this and make adjustments as needed.
I've especially noticed one shotting in the ning'tao fleet bop ship but its not limited to the borg the tholians that have that special thing that is like the subspace snare for the bortasqu' does it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-20-2012, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
What? Since when? Borg have been critting the entire time I've been playing. And I will agree, the borg are much stronger than they used to be. But as I have stated before, I don't have a real issue with it, just means I have to play more carefully.
since... sometimes in the spring. They made it so borg couldn't crit, then it broke, then they fixed it, then it broke again, and was fixed, broke, was fixed etc. Guess s7 broke it again... :/
Career Officer
# 45
11-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Over the weekend: Gateway one-shotted me from 9.5 km even when I wasn't shooting at it and there were other players within range. There's also a nasty bug where you do not get optional if you're dead when the map finishes (even if there's plenty of time left) -- as I was unfortunate to find out when the Tac Cube at end of Infected space elite hit me for 45,000 kinetic damage from a torpedo a second before it blew up.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18745 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Lieutenant
# 46
11-20-2012, 08:22 AM
It seems they are trying to make STO a "Holy Trinity" game now with a game system that just can't handle it, and(/or?) was designed purposely to be against it.

(For those that don't know what the "Holy Trinity" is its the Tank/DPS/Healer MMO formula.)
Career Officer
# 47
11-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Since May, apparently.

Quote:
Dstahl: While we want the STFs to remain challenging, we did recently update all of the enemies in the STFs to reduce their damage output ? the higher rank the enemy was, the more we nerfed their DPS. We also removed the ability for the bosses to crit. This leaves the STFs challenging, but greatly reduces the odds of getting ?one-shotted? by a single mob.
Though he does state only bosses, so maybe all other NPCs can still crit?
----
Captain
# 48
11-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuxidemus001 View Post
I've especially noticed one shotting in the ning'tao fleet bop ship but its not limited to the borg the tholians that have that special thing that is like the subspace snare for the bortasqu' does it as well.
A fart in the wind could one shot that disaster of ship design.
Captain
# 49
11-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniebaum View Post
It seems they are trying to make STO a "Holy Trinity" game now with a game system that just can't handle it, and(/or?) was designed purposely to be against it.

(For those that don't know what the "Holy Trinity" is its the Tank/DPS/Healer MMO formula.)

Actually, the game handles it fine. You'll see plenty of organized fleet mates rolling through HOE with a mixed setup and doing fantastic. The casual player base however...
Captain
# 50
11-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniebaum View Post
Except whether or not I can tank the enemies in a cruiser is now pretty much blind luck on whether they roll high with their torpedo attacks or not.