Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
# 1 New Romulus trans warp gate?
11-20-2012, 07:03 AM
OK, so I can see there is a trans warp gate in the New Romulus system.

I haven't seen a Embassy project (yet) that include activating the gate.

Anyone know how or when the gate becomes active?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,527
# 2
11-20-2012, 07:28 AM
It doesn't appear to do anything, for now. There was a project on Tribble that mentioned it, but it didn't actually do anything, and it was removed before S7 went live. There's project for shuttle service between the starbase and embassy, rather than transwarp, and there's no Tau Dewa transwarp destinations on the Starbase trasnwarp gate.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
# 3
11-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Hmmmm, that what I thought.

Thanks for the reply.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,170
# 4
11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Though if you talk to the many NPCs in the New Romulus Embassy, their appears to be a provision for a direct Transporter link between the Embassy and your Fleet Starbase...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,466
# 5
11-20-2012, 09:39 AM
I assumed it was/is connected to the Fleet starbase/embassy link.

I really dislike the idea of a transwarp network of gates. I don't think it suits this IP one bit.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,527
# 6
11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Though if you talk to the many NPCs in the New Romulus Embassy, their appears to be a provision for a direct Transporter link between the Embassy and your Fleet Starbase...
Transport, not transporter. There's a reason that NPC is standing in front of a shuttle.


Quote:

I really dislike the idea of a transwarp network of gates. I don't think it suits this IP one bit.
It's what the Borg had. Only two species encountered by the Federation have had reliable transwarp drive, and the Borg are the only ones with which they've had a technological exchange, even if it wasn't consensual.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,466
# 7
11-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
It's what the Borg had. Only two species encountered by the Federation have had reliable transwarp drive, and the Borg are the only ones with which they've had a technological exchange, even if it wasn't consensual.
Yes, granted it did appear in the IP, but not quite in this way. The borg transwarp network, at any rate, worked very differently to what we seem to have ingame.

The borg network worked via a few hubs which facilitated a transwarp/subspace conduit network. Ships would exit these conduits via 'apertures' that where not connected to structures like what we have ingame. I don't expect the UFP or the Empire to establish a system exactly as the Borg did (afterall it was regulated by the Borg Queen's control) - but it really seems more like the concept behind the Stargate IP - which is what I was getting at.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
# 8
11-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks all for the info.

As for transwarp hubs, I do believe we have one in game. Isn't there a mission in the Romulan series were you defend a transwarp hub from Romulan ships, or protect the gates form the Romulans mining them?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,527
# 9
11-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifter1969 View Post
Thanks all for the info.

As for transwarp hubs, I do believe we have one in game. Isn't there a mission in the Romulan series were you defend a transwarp hub from Romulan ships, or protect the gates form the Romulans mining them?
It's just a gate like any other, but, yeah, the gate's function the same basic way the Borg hubs do in Voyager, except they appear to be on-way. You enter a gate and select from available fixed exits, but can't reenter the exit apertures to return. The Borg are seen reentering their network from endpoints.

Shipboard transwarps are a bit different, still one-way with fixed exits, but no need for a fixed entry point.

Last edited by hevach; 11-20-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
# 10
11-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
It's just a gate like any other, but, yeah, the gate's function the same basic way the Borg hubs do in Voyager, except they appear to be on-way. You enter a gate and select from available fixed exits, but can't reenter the exit apertures to return. The Borg are seen reentering their network from endpoints.

Shipboard transwarps are a bit different, still one-way with fixed exits, but no need for a fixed entry point.
True. didn't look at it that way.

Since there were three gates, much a leap (rather large one ) that it was a hub.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 AM.