Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,137
# 51
11-20-2012, 10:09 AM
This issue is still under investigation, so I wanted to pop in and share a few things:

First, a quick confirmation that Battleship and Dreadnought STF ships should now be incapable of landing Critical Hits. This includes Cubes, Tac Cubes, and their Assimilated Klingon counterparts. A similar change will likely be made to ground-based Captain rank STF Borg, if it hasn't already.

Secondly, a few balancing changes will be coming soon that will hopefully once again diminish the chances of being "one-shotted" by Borg NPCs in Space...

1) The damage variance on high-magnitude hits is being cut in half.

This means that, while previously a Plasma Torpedo's damage could vary by as much as 10% +/- its target magnitude, it will soon only be capable of a 5% variance. Since variance is calculated prior to a critter's innate stats and any buffs, what starts as a small % can quickly be magnified into very large numbers. This is why a Borg's Plasma Torpedo may currently hit you for only a couple thousand one second, only to have the next land for tens-of-thousands.

Reducing the overall variance on this type of attack will mean fewer hyper-magnified high-end hits, though their damage floor on these attacks will also be raised concurrently.

2) Borg Plasma DOT magnitudes are being reduced.

Since these DOTs are also magnified by class tables and innate stats, Borg were managing to reliably land very high-magnitude hull DOTs on their targets. Since these ignore shields, we've decided that reducing their overall damage may improve player experience in STF content without significantly diminishing the difficulty and threat of the Borg as a whole.

I'd like to reiterate that the Borgs' ability to deal high-damage DOTs isn't something that recently changed, as far as I can see. It's possible there's been a Software change somewhere that I'm unable to verify, but inquiries into that have yielded no results thus far.

I suspect that the reason players are seeing more Hull Damage, may actually be attributable to the changes made to the Assimilated Ship set. Many players have chosen to try different equipment sets in light of those alterations, and may have been heavily reliant upon the 2-piece Hull Heal proc, which also cleansed Plasma Fires. If this is the case, it may mean that the Borg in general were inaccurately balanced for a specific set of equipment, and more changes will need to be made to bring them in line with other options of play style.

3) The version of Isometric Charge used by NPCs is being nerfed.

Both the damage dealt, and the distance at which the power can "jump" between targets, will be reduced.

Additional changes may be made to balance this ability, but keep in mind that it is used by both the Assimilated Klingons and the Borg Queen's Diamond. It's likely that the latter will see fewer alterations than the former.

And just in case it wasn't clear, none of the above changes should have any effect on the analog abilities used by players.

We'll be checking these changes into QA for testing this week, but I can't guarantee a date on when they'll arrive on Tribble and/or Holodeck. Keep your eyes on the patch notes if you are anxious.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 52
11-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
This issue is still under investigation, so I wanted to pop in and share a few things:

First, a quick confirmation that Battleship and Dreadnought STF ships should now be incapable of landing Critical Hits. This includes Cubes, Tac Cubes, and their Assimilated Klingon counterparts. A similar change will likely be made to ground-based Captain rank STF Borg, if it hasn't already.

Secondly, a few balancing changes will be coming soon that will hopefully once again diminish the chances of being "one-shotted" by Borg NPCs in Space...

1) The damage variance on high-magnitude hits is being cut in half.

This means that, while previously a Plasma Torpedo's damage could vary by as much as 10% +/- its target magnitude, it will soon only be capable of a 5% variance. Since variance is calculated prior to a critter's innate stats and any buffs, what starts as a small % can quickly be magnified into very large numbers. This is why a Borg's Plasma Torpedo may currently hit you for only a couple thousand one second, only to have the next land for tens-of-thousands.

Reducing the overall variance on this type of attack will mean fewer hyper-magnified high-end hits, though their damage floor on these attacks will also be raised concurrently.

2) Borg Plasma DOT magnitudes are being reduced.

Since these DOTs are also magnified by class tables and innate stats, Borg were managing to reliably land very high-magnitude hull DOTs on their targets. Since these ignore shields, we've decided that reducing their overall damage may improve player experience in STF content without significantly diminishing the difficulty and threat of the Borg as a whole.

I'd like to reiterate that the Borgs' ability to deal high-damage DOTs isn't something that recently changed, as far as I can see. It's possible there's been a Software change somewhere that I'm unable to verify, but inquiries into that have yielded no results thus far.

I suspect that the reason players are seeing more Hull Damage, may actually be attributable to the changes made to the Assimilated Ship set. Many players have chosen to try different equipment sets in light of those alterations, and may have been heavily reliant upon the 2-piece Hull Heal proc, which also cleansed Plasma Fires. If this is the case, it may mean that the Borg in general were inaccurately balanced for a specific set of equipment, and more changes will need to be made to bring them in line with other options of play style.

3) The version of Isometric Charge used by NPCs is being nerfed.

Both the damage dealt, and the distance at which the power can "jump" between targets, will be reduced.

Additional changes may be made to balance this ability, but keep in mind that it is used by both the Assimilated Klingons and the Borg Queen's Diamond. It's likely that the latter will see fewer alterations than the former.

And just in case it wasn't clear, none of the above changes should have any effect on the analog abilities used by players.

We'll be checking these changes into QA for testing this week, but I can't guarantee a date on when they'll arrive on Tribble and/or Holodeck. Keep your eyes on the patch notes if you are anxious.
The Assimilated Borg thing is not the case, I've not been using it for weeks and the plasma dot damage was still a very noticeable difference to me.

The isometric is a good change, that particular ability is too random and over the top.

I actually would prefer for the difficulty to not be tweaked, but this should at least somewhat pacify people that for whatever reason are having trouble adapting.

Cheers.

Last edited by xantris; 11-20-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,462
# 53
11-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I suspect that the reason players are seeing more Hull Damage, may actually be attributable to the changes made to the Assimilated Ship set. Many players have chosen to try different equipment sets in light of those alterations, and may have been heavily reliant upon the 2-piece Hull Heal proc, which also cleansed Plasma Fires.
Nope. I haven't used the Assimilated set since... ... ! A long time. Mostly using MACO shields and deflector with a Jem'hadar engine, though recently I swapped in the MACO engine (faster sector space travel for the win).

Quote:
3) The version of Isometric Charge used by NPCs is being nerfed.
All hail Borticus!

Getting individually stomped by high rolls on borg torpedoes is one thing, but I've seen the Negh'vars on CSE instantly wipe out multiple players with that thing. A very unfair weapon in the hands of the borg.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 511
# 54
11-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Before s7 i could easily kill cures bop in seconds now it takes alot longer to kill em in my jem ship. Somethings buffed their shields or hull alot. Also nanite gens in ISE have been buffed because i used to kill em alot quicker than i am now since s7.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 55
11-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
snip
The most annoying part was the plasma dot, although it can be handled by a couple of hazard emitters, something people not using the borg set anymore (like myself) could be reluctant to. But it's clearly how the Borg can finish off a player currently. It can't kill any ship, you have to be severely damaged before that.

I'm not sure about the isometric charges on the klingon assimilated ships... I always saw the instakill as a "punishement" for a lack of teamwork since theneg'var warships don't use it as soon as they spawn, most of the times.

I have to admit that I enjoyed greater challenges, since the new ships are always more and more powerful, so please don't dumb the endgame content even more, it's already incredibly easy as it is. The optionals are supposed to be a challenge, not something you get unless your team is utterly unable to understand how STFs work, and even with random teams it's achievable most of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptskeeteruk View Post
Before s7 i could easily kill cures bop in seconds now it takes alot longer to kill em in my jem ship. Somethings buffed their shields or hull alot. Also nanite gens in ISE have been buffed because i used to kill em alot quicker than i am now since s7.
It could be related to power levels, it looks like my cannons are sucking more energy since season 7, although I'm still trying to figure out if it's not just my imagination.

Last edited by diogene0; 11-20-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 730
# 56
11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Borticus, thank you! I am always glad to give credits where credit is due.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 219
# 57
11-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I have no preference as to whether you fix this issue or not as I have not seen any real changes in the performance of the BORG myself.


I have never really encountered the BORG one shot either. What I still see is ships up close in the face of CUBES not moving and expecting to withstand the fury of a CUBE scorned and expecting to be able to tank it.......


I run a cruiser specifically built to tank a CUBE and have not seen any issues whatsoever.

Even with the "so called" one shots I have survived them due to a tried and true regime of buffs and movements and skills. I also know many a KDF carrier driver that tank TAC cubes with no issues and know nothing of this ONE SHOT.

That being said I am not refuting its existance but rather saying with proper builds and experience the experience becomes negligible and survivable if properly prepared for.

I have seen the DOT of death though..the other day I was sizzling away and I think the proc was critical because I was hit for 4500 per tick..a little nasty IMO but also My hull resists were on cooldown so I am to blame for no rotating my buffs properly and keeping my hull safe.
Napoleon's final defeat came at Waterloo. Must've been embarrassing. You're the f'ing emperor. You conquered all of Europe, only to lose in a place with a stupid name like Waterloo. Or Watergate, or Whitewater. Note to politicans: Stay on land.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 58
11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Coming late to this conversation but this:

Quote:
2) Borg Plasma DOT magnitudes are being reduced.
is the only major issue I've had with Season 7 STFs - the plasma DoT has been simply evil - my Excelsior's previously been able to tank the gates from 100% to zero without going under but the plasma DoT's been wiping me out far too often.

On several occasions I've had 75% hull remaining and full shields then something with the plasma crits and *BOOM!* gone. Been using full MACO Mk XII only for a long time too.

Stuff like the torpedos firing from all angles and the Iso's are of no consequence to my Tac/Excel build - If I hit BFI and PH quick enough I'll live to fight again but the plasma DoT is just plain dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabisi View Post
Even with the "so called" one shots I have survived them due to a tried and true regime of buffs and movements and skills. I also know many a KDF carrier driver that tank TAC cubes with no issues and know nothing of this ONE SHOT.
Well, what can I say? It exists but in my experience the Borg need to have a shield facing down to pull it off so I don't really consider it a 'one-shot' - possibly with ships less equipped for shield/hull tanking it's a real issue though - all my ships (Tac/Eng/Sci) are specced to be able to tank Borg crits though so it's not a problem for me.

I imagine those that were reliant on the Borg set are suffering from it much more now though.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 11-20-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 437
# 59
11-20-2012, 01:13 PM
I notice that they got a bit stronger..

But its okay, I just keep moving, as you get an awesome def bonus usually, takes a bit longer, but hey.. atleast its a bit more interesting now.

Before in KASE I could tank cubes with my bug ship and kill incoming probes by just sitting there.. now i just need to move around a bit more and make sure I am on my heals.

The dev post about reducing the crits on the super ships is a welcome change though.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 310
# 60
11-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Hopefully they'll also address the insane kinetic damage Borg tractor beams do. I've been consistently destroyed in seconds by the Borg gate and Tac cube's Tractor Beams.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 AM.