Starfleet Veteran
Tour the Universe and selling gear isn't helping me create or buy commodities for my Reputation System, or my fleet. That's why I thought, "How about the old way of collecting money, and loot it?"
Simple. Get a loot box, and it contains Energy Credits in it. Scales to level. Sound good?
Career Officer
# 2
11-20-2012, 10:14 PM
No, no, no, that's the old way to get EC. In today's STO you buy Zen, open lockboxes or buy Doff packs and pray you get the good stuff. Then if you do, you sell it on the exchange for EC. That's the way PWE likes it.
Captain
# 3
11-20-2012, 10:37 PM
There're plenty of ways to make EC.

I would give you some advice, but if I did I'd just be diminishing my own EC income levels by bringing new competition to the markets.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-21-2012, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
No, no, no, that's the old way to get EC. In today's STO you buy Zen, open lockboxes or buy Doff packs and pray you get the good stuff. Then if you do, you sell it on the exchange for EC. That's the way PWE likes it.
I've played Black Light Retribution which is another PWE game. The current system of energy credits is FAR superior to anything in that awful game. You think we have it bad, Although it's a F2P game, you basically have to GRIND so you can GRIND later. Nothing is owned, everything is rented unless you spend at-least a month farming their currency.

The problem currently is they nerfed the drops, inadvertently or not, some of which will be returning tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-21-2012, 07:49 AM
I have also noticed the loot drops are much more weaker meaning Hypos and batteries are not good loot to sell on the exchange. What ever happened to the somtime blue and purple drops guess they are gone forever.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Hypos and batteries are not "good loot to sell" because people can buy them cheaper and in unlimited quantities off vendors, and your "market" only lasts as long as people are ignorant of that little fact.

One simple way to supplement your income is play missions or patrols in Advanced or Elite mode as you get more drops which can be vendored for cash, with the odd blue and purple that you can sell on the exchange. Sure its rougher but I don't find they take much longer to play through than normal mode
Career Officer
# 7
11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by revalah View Post
Hypos and batteries are not "good loot to sell" because people can buy them cheaper and in unlimited quantities off vendors, and your "market" only lasts as long as people are ignorant of that little fact.

One simple way to supplement your income is play missions or patrols in Advanced or Elite mode as you get more drops which can be vendored for cash, with the odd blue and purple that you can sell on the exchange. Sure its rougher but I don't find they take much longer to play through than normal mode
I tried this for a while but honestly, the drops didn't seem to be occurring in any greater numbers and the gear wasn't really worth significantly more (blue Mk X Deflectors don't sell to the vendors for much more than green or even white ones do).

Even a lot of the Purple Mk XI and XII stuff you used to get from STFs doesn't sell for that much on the Exchange - once in a while you might get an [Acc]x3 but even that (if it's something like a Mk XI Phaser Turret) might only net you 500k ECs - nice, but you're not going to get rich that way...
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-21-2012, 08:28 AM
That's why I said Supplement, not replace. I agree you need another way to earn serious cash.
Captain
# 9
11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I usually sell crafting materials.
Empire Veteran
# 10
11-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergaminggeek View Post
Tour the Universe and selling gear isn't helping me create or buy commodities for my Reputation System, or my fleet. That's why I thought, "How about the old way of collecting money, and loot it?"
Simple. Get a loot box, and it contains Energy Credits in it. Scales to level. Sound good?
Wait, you mean that getting 2-3M from "tour the galaxy" can't meet all your needs?

Sorry, I laughed hard.