Captain
# 1 Time for a console change
11-20-2012, 09:26 PM
After some discussion and deliberation i want to open up a debate for a change to how consoles, which are offcourse purchased, could work to improve the current state of pvp:

That the console can only be used on the native ship it came from.

Its in effect on the Vesta, and on the Intrepid. Why shouldnt this rule apply for the remainder?
This will encourage people to choose varied ships then constantly flying cookie cutter ships. It would even promote tinkering with skills and abilites from multiple ships instead of the same old ones which will hamper pvp growth. Or are people too afraid too lose their payed advantage that they outright refuse such a change, even if it would improve the state of pvp?

Please do discuss
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Lieutenant
# 2
11-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorasx View Post
^^ this ^^
Captain
# 3
11-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorasx View Post
They wouldn't sell the ships if they were not universal/semi-universal. It's why they made that change earlier in the year...

...of course, I left shortly after they made that change. I didn't like how much it looked like I was whining and crying about the P2W console changes.

I'm still not sure why I came back - lol - if anything, it's only gotten worse with that.

Still, I can't see them changing it back - and - I even jumped on the bandwagon. I bought an Oberth! /cough
Captain
# 4
11-20-2012, 10:06 PM
No way this is gonna happen until they have Fleet analogs for every C-store non-RA ship, as this would faceplant their (already tepid) sales.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-20-2012, 11:26 PM
But than, consoles wouldn`t be so much universal then. I mean it`s not bad idea, but just an quick e.g. Some1 have bought a galaxy x, and now owns a fleet defiant and now he want to use cloak, but he can`t? No real point. Or i understood this completly wrong due to the fact that english is not my primary language..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex:
[*]All Warbird descriptions have been updated, typoes removed, and gramer corrected.
Captain
# 6
11-21-2012, 12:06 AM
I would rather prefer if there was special console slots instead. And ships had various numbers of those "extra systems" to balance them with others. So even sub par ships could have advantage with these extra systems, while ships like bug would get none
Commander
# 7
11-21-2012, 01:52 AM
I think it's a really good idea. I suspect it'll be a hard sell to the customization crowd and the z store sales team though.

Originally they were only usable by the native ship or specific ship classes (except the BoP which could carry almost all of them). They could go back to that so these things could be balanced more easily for a class of ship.

Similarly, most of the consoles were tied to specific types of console slots rather than being fully universal. This way any player could use an ability they really liked on any ship but it came at a strategic cost.

Any of these changes would greatly improve things because when theses restrictions were removed they really hurt things (for PvP, obviously it was a good move for customization though).

One thing they never did completely was work these things into existing mechanics regarding shared systems and global cool downs. I think the speed burst console did a little with evasive a but that is about the extent. Consoles can be activated as many and as quickly as the UI allows which goes in the face of all other in game balancing restrictions.
The consoles (or many of them) should in my opinion have their own global cool downs and ideally much longer individual cool downs to encourage more strategic use.

One way to compensate players for increasing these cool downs might be to include some moderate passive abilities. The Theta console might add 5 to Engine power and 15 to Particle Gens for example.

There are ways to sell products that are appealing without making them poorly balanced.
# 8
11-21-2012, 01:57 AM
I like Steve's tack on balancing the consoles themselves with cooldowns and such, but honestly I'm not sure if we can ever go back to binding consoles to their respective ships (assuming that was how things used to be). Most of the big name consoles aren't even faction-exclusive any more, and there'd probably be all sorts of customer issues since many of the consoles do after all come from reward packs that had to be paid for somewhere along the line.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 9
11-21-2012, 03:17 AM
anyone remember when they were orginally like that?

.... then they released the lower tier ships with consoles and all hell broke loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Empire Veteran
# 10
11-21-2012, 03:48 AM
Lower tier ships are the reason that will never happen. You buy yourself a ship for a few lvls with the knowledge that you can at least use the console at max lvl. They can't justify the price otherwise.

But it would still leave the option to bind the console to a ship class. Like AMS comes with a cruiser so it's only useable on cruisers. While I doubt they will change the consoles since it would mean many upset customers they could at least have some restrictions for new consoles they are going to create.

Also I think the biggest problem of consoles is that they break the balance of counters. Normally you would need high lvl science slots on your ship for most cc abilities. That kind of limits them and makes it able for a team to carry a sufficient amount of counters. Now with the consoles every ship can carry additional high lvl cc abilities but no ship can carrier additional counters.
So how can we balance this? What we need are probably things like more immunities after we got hit with something. Or maybe an increasing resistance during a match? Like each time you get hit by grav pulse you gain some resistance and the next hit will have limited duration, or something like that.
Or just give us more counters. Might be the best and easiest way. Like let Aux to Struct cure grav pulse. Give some additional powers the ability to clear the effects of consoles. That would not really affect pve, the consoles would still be useful in pvp but we would have an easier way defending against it.

Give us a chance at fighting the consoles. Who knows, if can build proper build to fight them the pvp community might actually accept them.