Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
# 761
11-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post
Hyper-Impulse engine.

What's the reasoning behind running Hyper-Impulse Engines now? It used to be all about the Combat +Turn. Things have changed a bit, and some things just do not make sense anymore.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 247
# 762
11-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post
Why AP weapons with the Jem'Hadar set? If you were running Polaron or Tetryon, that would make more sense (because of the Flow Capacitor buff). But, really, the engines are pretty bad.

I'd recommend the Omega deflector and impulse if you want more damage. Or, go with the MACO deflector (for more defense) and an Advanced Fleet Hyper-Impulse engine.
Sorry, can't agree with you at all on that. Although I haven't tried the Advanced Fleet engines yet. I've tried every other set combination over and over. This one does the best. The only place I've seen where the engines really make any difference is in sector space and yes, the Jem'Hadar do lose out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post
You are going to do less damage than someone who is focused on one energy type. A lot less.

I'd recommend you pick a proc you like and focus on that.
Yes on that part. I wish people would get it through their thick skulls that Rainbow/Technicolor weapons are useless items.
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
# 763
11-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestyles View Post
Maybe things have changed since I last played regularly, just started up again, but the stacking on the Pre-Fire Chambers was knocked down in the Season 1 release because of how broken they were if I recall correctly.
I don't know about that I checked the wiki - no mention but if I have to focus on one type of weapon then I will change them for the variants anyway thx.

Last edited by gray113; 11-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
# 764
11-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post

You are going to do less damage than someone who is focused on one energy type. A lot less.

I'd recommend you pick a proc you like and focus on that.
Did think of that but was trying for the jack of all trades model with regards to avoiding opponents defences - guess that doesn't work.

Will pobably set up for anti-proton seen as I battle the borg most.

Last edited by gray113; 11-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,059
# 765
11-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray113 View Post
I don't know about that I checked the wiki but no mention but if I have to focus on one type of weapon then I will change them for the variants anyway thx.
prefire chamber is also much inferior to actual AP consoles...you are right now cutting your potential damage in half...also use as much energy type consoles as possible...forget the torp consoles if you are not atleast running 3 torp tubes.
Go pro or go home
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
# 766
11-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
forget the torp consoles if you are not atleast running 3 torp tubes.
I have torpedo spread mk 2 and 3 assigned to my bridge officers meaning I fire about 2 spreads every 30 seconds. Will losing the torp console affect the attack strength of this ability?

Last edited by gray113; 11-21-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
# 767
11-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray113 View Post
I don't know about that I checked the wiki but no mention but if I have to focus on one type of weapon then I will change them for the variants anyway thx.
I just looked at the way they work now. It doesn't "stack" the way it used to, but they still stack. Back when the game first came out the Pre-Fire Consoles worked on a pure percentage that would be calculated per console. In other words you as one console, and the total after that one adds it's bonus is the base total you would use for the next console. They changed it so that it's based off the initial base value before any buffs or bonuses now.

What I would do is go through and actually find the base values and claculate what the bonuses and buffs would give with the 3xPre-Fire and the 2xPre-Fire with two of "WHATEVER WEAPON TYPE BONUS CONSOLE" you use to find out which is better.

That depends on whether you are going Beam or not though. I stick to cannons myself, I prefer to just make things lose shields fast and run away as fast as possible on the cool downs with torps in their hulls.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,123
# 768
11-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestyles View Post
What's the reasoning behind running Hyper-Impulse Engines now? It used to be all about the Combat +Turn. Things have changed a bit, and some things just do not make sense anymore.
Combat engines are the slowest engines. They are more efficient at 25 engine power, but most people have more power than that. I have 39/25 (I think this was what I tested it at, but it could have been lower because I had respec'ed at around the same time I ran this test), and I have compared the following engines (in terms of turn rate and impulse speed):
1) Omega Hyper-Impulse Engines - I had an Impulse Speed of ~24.8.
2) MACO Impulse Engines - Impulse Speed of ~24.5.
3) Jem'Hadar Combat Impulse Engines - Impulse speed of ~24.3.

Turn rate on the Omega Hyper-Impulse Engines are superior to the MACO and Jem'Hadar.

The turn rate on an Advanced Fleet Hyper-Impulse Engine [turn]x3 [spd] is greater than the Omega engines, while keeping the same Impulse speed as the MK XII Omega engines. It also has a Lesser Asycronous Warp Field, which is a similar ability as the MACO engine.

You can, of course, get the Advanced Fleet Combat Impulse Engine [turn]x3 [spd], but it won't be as fast as the Hyper-Impulse.

Most PvPers will tell you that Combat Impulse are the worst kind of engine to use in PvP. If it works in PvP, it'll work better in PvE (usually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake81499 View Post
Sorry, can't agree with you at all on that. Although I haven't tried the Advanced Fleet engines yet. I've tried every other set combination over and over. This one does the best. The only place I've seen where the engines really make any difference is in sector space and yes, the Jem'Hadar do lose out there.
If you are obsessed with turn rate like I am, Combat Impulse engines are notably worse than Hyper-Impulse. Let alone speed (even at lower levels).

What about them is the best combination in your opinion? If you really want to keep the Jem'Hadar engines, the 2-set proc isn't really doing much for you (unless you were a drain build and had Polaron or Tetryon weapons, preferably the former, as the 2-set give you a bonus to Polaron damage ).

If you really want Combat engines, I'd say give the Advanced Fleet Combat Impulse Engines [turn]x3 [spd] a try then. I would bet that you'll find this a better improvement to the turn rate and impulse speed of your escort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray113 View Post
I don't know about that I checked the wiki - no mention but if I have to focus on one type of weapon then I will change them for the variants anyway thx.
A rare mk XI prefire chamber will give you ~18% damage increase off of the base damage of your weapon (before all modifiers).

A very rare mk XII prefire chamber will give you, I believe, a 20% damage increase off of the base damage of your weapon (before all modifiers).

A rare mk XI energy specific tactical console will give you ~26% damage increase off of the base damage of your weapon (before all modifiers).

A very rare mk XII energy specific tactical console will give you 30% damage increase off of the base damage of your weapon (before all modifiers).

Let's say you had very rare MK XII consoles. You're getting a 10% increase in damage per console if you stuck with energy specific tactical consoles. Most escorts have 4 tactical slots. That's a 40% increase. If you had a 5 tactical console ship, it would be 50%.

Last edited by shookyang; 11-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
# 769
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post
Let's say you had very rare MK XII consoles. You're getting a 10% increase in damage per console if you stuck with energy specific tactical consoles. Most escorts have 4 tactical slots. That's a 40% increase. If you had a 5 tactical console ship, it would be 50%.
I was already sold on changing the wepons setup. Its going to cost me about 70000 dilitium just to get all fleet upgrades so I will probably mix and match what i can find on the exchange until I get my new ship as its something I have been promising myself for a while.

Out of curiosity how good is the Armitage carrier? Should I take it over a Patrol/Tac escort?
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
# 770
11-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post
Combat engines are the slowest engines. They are more efficient at 25 engine power, but most people have more power than that. I have 39/25 (I think this was what I tested it at, but it could have been lower because I had respec'ed at around the same time I ran this test), and I have compared the following engines (in terms of turn rate and impulse speed):
1) Omega Hyper-Impulse Engines - I had an Impulse Speed of ~24.8.
2) MACO Impulse Engines - Impulse Speed of ~24.5.
3) Jem'Hadar Combat Impulse Engines - Impulse speed of ~24.3.

Turn rate on the Omega Hyper-Impulse Engines are superior to the MACO and Jem'Hadar.

The turn rate on an Advanced Fleet Hyper-Impulse Engine [turn]x3 [spd] is greater than the Omega engines, while keeping the same Impulse speed as the MK XII Omega engines. It also has a Lesser Asycronous Warp Field, which is a similar ability as the MACO engine.

You can, of course, get the Advanced Fleet Combat Impulse Engine [turn]x3 [spd], but it won't be as fast as the Hyper-Impulse.

Most PvPers will tell you that Combat Impulse are the worst kind of engine to use in PvP. If it works in PvP, it'll work better in PvE (usually).
Interesting, the last time I played the Cap was at X Very Rare, so a lot of this is new to me considering how different the game is now. Thanks for the information. I have been trying to find a decent way to set my Tac Escort primarily to earn enough EC/Dil to get into the higher stuff.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 PM.