Lieutenant
# 21
11-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorasx View Post
Please do discuss
^^ THIS ^^
P2W is Pay to Play for me, what else? Duh!
Career Officer
# 22
11-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
I think it's a really good idea. I suspect it'll be a hard sell to the customization crowd and the z store sales team though.

Originally they were only usable by the native ship or specific ship classes (except the BoP which could carry almost all of them). They could go back to that so these things could be balanced more easily for a class of ship.

Similarly, most of the consoles were tied to specific types of console slots rather than being fully universal. This way any player could use an ability they really liked on any ship but it came at a strategic cost.

Any of these changes would greatly improve things because when theses restrictions were removed they really hurt things (for PvP, obviously it was a good move for customization though).

One thing they never did completely was work these things into existing mechanics regarding shared systems and global cool downs. I think the speed burst console did a little with evasive a but that is about the extent. Consoles can be activated as many and as quickly as the UI allows which goes in the face of all other in game balancing restrictions.
The consoles (or many of them) should in my opinion have their own global cool downs and ideally much longer individual cool downs to encourage more strategic use.

One way to compensate players for increasing these cool downs might be to include some moderate passive abilities. The Theta console might add 5 to Engine power and 15 to Particle Gens for example.

There are ways to sell products that are appealing without making them poorly balanced.
They should likely put a global cooldown into this game. That would make a lot of the bad things go away. But anyways.

First big boo boo was letting the captains out of thier ships with captains powers intact. That was a no no. Don't give me that 'modular ship design' bull**** I was handed last time. Make captain powers inherent in the ship class. Continue to allow players to put skill points into whatever they wish. If you skill your captain to use patterns and manuevers and then put him in a science ship, you're retarded.

This was followed with universal consoles. Some have suggested making the consoles specific to engineering, tactical, or science. Very simple and elegant solution. If they were also affected by skills to a greater extent, even better. And by that I mean reduce the baseline effect drastically, and allow skills to bring it up to where it is now. So we won't be getting a 'VunderKonsole' that allows a ship to do amazing things unless the ship has a slot for it, and the skills to use it.

On a side note, how did mine dispersal and subsytem targeting end up in tactical? It is pretty clear that isn't where they were intended to be. That change had to be in beta at some point. So now tactical has them, is loaded down with hugely uninteresting consoles, and is pretty much just a drag to fit either of those abilities in.

Anyway glad I could stop in. Many good things brought up in this thread! Nice to see.

Cheers and happy flying.

Oh wait. This wouldn't be the PVP forum if I didn't do.........

If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Captain
# 23
11-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorasx View Post
After some discussion and deliberation i want to open up a debate for a change to how consoles, which are offcourse purchased, could work to improve the current state of pvp:

That the console can only be used on the native ship it came from.

Its in effect on the Vesta, and on the Intrepid. Why shouldnt this rule apply for the remainder?
This will encourage people to choose varied ships then constantly flying cookie cutter ships. It would even promote tinkering with skills and abilites from multiple ships instead of the same old ones which will hamper pvp growth. Or are people too afraid too lose their payed advantage that they outright refuse such a change, even if it would improve the state of pvp?

Please do discuss
Until they increase the number of ships available to the KDF this is a no brainer in terms of the intent.

Essentially what you are proposing would relegate these unplayable:

[Console - Universal - Plasmonic Leach]
[Console - Universal - Barrier Field Generator]
[Hangar - Orion Interceptors]
[Console - Universal - Aceton Assimilator]

Last time I checked that does not leave much unless you're in a carrier.

I would much rather that remove all consoles period. Have EACH ship come with an innate built-in extra "special" BOFF power not console.

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 11-21-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Captain
# 24
11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't mind as long as it can be used on all variants of the ship as well. The Excelsior for example has two variants at two levels but only the lower lvl one comes with it's console
Commander
# 25
11-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I believe they made the decision to move away from limitations on the use of consoles long ago when they made them universal to every ship.

For all we know, next week the ablative can be equipped on an Engineer Recluse. I'd keep my lips sealed from here on, they just might do that lol.

I mean just look what Borticus just said last:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Would you all rather have cookie-cutter ships with pre-assigned abilities and equipment that leave you with no customization or choice
He'll call this a "cookie cutter" thread, or confetti thread since we throw the words Over Powered around too often.

Yeah, so that's what you're dealing with. Good luck!
Career Officer
# 26
11-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Ablative on my Eng Recluse.

Evil hands slap together in congress.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I like the idea of ship type limitations. This would get them a bit more under control, but also give cryptic an out to do it. Everyone can still use their consoles they've bought still, just not all on the same type of ship. This still however would hamper their sales which I've never really seen them make a decision to do. It would probably help if we could come together as a community and say something like "if you made consoles ship type bound, we as a community would support these consoles" to let the devs know that a decision to help us out wont bite them in the a$$ so much from our end. We know the pve crowd would b!tch up a storm, so I'm sure they'd like to know we at least have their back on the decision.
Empire Veteran
# 28
11-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
Ablative on my Eng Recluse.

Evil hands slap together in congress.
Ablative armor on a B'rel-R torpedo/mine boat.

A far more evil fantasy for me.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Empire Veteran
# 29
11-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxottoman View Post
He'll call this a "cookie cutter" thread, or confetti thread since we throw the words Over Powered around too often.

Yeah, so that's what you're dealing with. Good luck!
I don't think we use the words "over powered" very often here. Also the limitation to certain ships was only one suggestion. I don't think that will ever happen so we are proposing different things. I don't know if a dev will read that but it would be nice to hear what they think.
I don't want the consoles useless or ban them from pvp. We simply are looking for a way to balance them to increase the fun of everyone.
Empire Veteran
# 30
11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
I wouldn't mind as long as it can be used on all variants of the ship as well. The Excelsior for example has two variants at two levels but only the lower lvl one comes with it's console
As long as this was the course I would have no issue.
Though they may have to create some endgame versions of certain ships.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP