Survivor of Romulus
Taken from a dev blog, Haven't been able to dig any info elsewhere despite much looking.

Omega Plasma Torpedo Launcher
? This heavy torpedo launcher utilizes technology scavenged from the wreckage left behind in the defeat of Unimatrix ships that have recently begun invading known space.

That sure sounds like those huge literally ship vaporizing projectiles that borg unimatirix command ships launch at you that act a lot like a bio-neural warhead without the point defense. Now naturally I cannot see this being too much more effective than a typical high yield plasma or neural warhead, nor would the size be so big. I could see this being say half the size and doing the vaporization effect on ships if you manage to make a kill with it, much like how the TOS ground phaser does.

This will be seriously cool and can't wait to get it if so! Anyone know anything more or a dev that can give some insight? I always wanted a toned down version of that weapon a loooong time ago!
Career Officer
# 2
11-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Borticus has already discussed it - it's a smaller version of the Unimatrix V'ger torps - no idea whether it'll de-rezz if it kills but it'd be cool if it did

I imagine damage is going to be on par with a HY Plasma Torp - probably going to have a long CD too...
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
11-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I imagined it would be like an alternative bio neural exchanging the point defense and shield for a slightly harder hit.

So that's good to know, now if it can just vaporize I will cheerfully spend every last dil I got on it : P! Reason I love my elite fleet disruptors, there is just no kill more satisfying than one ending in disintegration, especially so if that can now happen in space!
Career Officer
# 4
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Haha keep dreaming if you think they are giving us a insta-kill torp lol

Like others said.. its just going to be like a Plasma or Temporal torp
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
11-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinru821 View Post
Haha keep dreaming if you think they are giving us a insta-kill torp lol

Like others said.. its just going to be like a Plasma or Temporal torp
Never expected it to be much more powerful than a simple high yield torp, just hoping it has that disintegration effect IF you manage to kill with it.

On a side note, wish they would get the disruptor disintegration the right color.
Career Officer
# 6
11-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Borticus has already discussed it - it's a smaller version of the Unimatrix V'ger torps - no idea whether it'll de-rezz if it kills but it'd be cool if it did

I imagine damage is going to be on par with a HY Plasma Torp - probably going to have a long CD too...
I could easily imagine it vaporizing if they implemented a limited type of the expose / exploit system in space. (Only for this weapon, of course).
Cryptic Studios Team
# 7
11-21-2012, 01:25 PM
The Omega Torpedo is kind of a unique mechanic...

Firstly, it's basic fire is a smaller version of the Unimatrix vaporizing torpedo. If it kills a target, I don't believe it derezzes them (it may, I haven't checked).

The unique aspect of this, is that the Torpedo uses an ammo-like mechanic. It has a very low recharge time (2sec) but a limited number of charges that will slowly regenerate over a longer period of time. So you can, theoretically, quickly unload a barrage of these torpedoes all in a very short time frame, but will then have a long period of time before you can do the same again while you wait for the charges to regenerate.

The Spread and High Yield versions of these torpedoes don't use the Ammo mechanic, but they will consume the enhancement when fired, so you won't be able to fire multiple Spreads or High Yields in short succession.

The Spread is just a volley of the standard torpedoes.

The High Yield version of this torpedo is much closer to the ones employed by the Unimatrix ships, and will definitely derez any targets that they destroy.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
# 8
11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
And it's a plasma torpedo?

Bort any chance you can post screenshots of all the items from the new space sets so we can plan ahead for builds, consoles, etc?

Thanks!
Career Officer
# 9
11-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post

Firstly, it's basic fire is a smaller version of the Unimatrix vaporizing torpedo. If it kills a target, I don't believe it derezzes them (it may, I haven't checked).

The unique aspect of this, is that the Torpedo uses an ammo-like mechanic. It has a very low recharge time (2sec) but a limited number of charges that will slowly regenerate over a longer period of time. So you can, theoretically, quickly unload a barrage of these torpedoes all in a very short time frame, but will then have a long period of time before you can do the same again while you wait for the charges to regenerate.

The Spread and High Yield versions of these torpedoes don't use the Ammo mechanic, but they will consume the enhancement when fired, so you won't be able to fire multiple Spreads or High Yields in short succession.

The High Yield version of this torpedo is much closer to the ones employed by the Unimatrix ships, and will definitely derez any targets that they destroy.
Well, it looks like my switching to Reman set & plasma torps is going pay dividends
The Spice Must Flow...
Commander
# 10
11-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post

Intresting, how about the Cutting Beam?
Or the set bonuses?
Please?