Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 11
11-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Thanks for the responses, Branflakes. As long editing after featuring is not out of the question for the future, I'm satisfied for now.
I want to make sure not to get your hopes up -- that's why I mentioned "...I'm not saying that this will not change, or it will change..." above. But, never say "never" in a MMO This is the current plan and will be the current implementation, but things can change, but sometimes they don't. Feedback is important, though, and I hope it continues in this thread.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 12
11-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Thank you Brandon, glad this is helping getting our thoughts out to you as well as what is going down on your end to us.

As is, I can understand that with some missions there is a nice point where things even off and you don't need to go back. Granted, some I will hold back from submitting because I feel there are features that could make it better, but that isn't all of my missions. So, chances are you'll see my already spotlighted mission on the list.

The one thing that still worries me is the spell checking, but, that may be a personal issue. One of my fleets in jokes is poking fun at my horrific spelling at times in game and remarking about their disbelief I put out what missions I do. I've always had issues with spelling and grammar (read as "grammer") in English so it's part of my internal struggles. I'll be flat out and say it, if I submit a mission for spotlighting and loose that control, and see one of my spelling errors I missed (and they will always be there) it's going to stick out in my mind like a cut diamond inside my shoe.

Unfortunately, with the current setting that is something I will have to live with. But I will remark now some kind of way to clear that up a little better for something Cryptic is saying is alongside their content would be beneficial to both parties. Don't know how to make that happen, cause I really believe a Cryptic QA team sweeping through it once to edit themselves for a single "thier" is a bit of an outlandish expectation. Still, it's a concern I'd like to voice.

Every author gets a low rating for a miss spelled word. If Cryptic backs something officially with a few in there, you'll have some crazy ragers blaming you as well as us.

Last edited by designationxr377; 11-20-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
11-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
we're not anticipating missions breaking. If there is something that creeps up, we can look at this on a case-by-case basis. All spotlight authors basically have direct access to reaching out to me via the ticket/ email I originally sent to you about being featured. Just reply to the ticket/ email and I'll get it and can investigate
Lol, the problem is that the breaking is UNanticipated... but I suspect you know that. Anyway I'm satisfied, you're very good about looking into stuff for us so I think if we notice a problem with a spotlighted mission you'll help us get it resolved. Thanks for clarifying.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Career Officer
# 14
11-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Is there any possibility of getting some idea of what you're looking for in the spotlights? Because I'd rather not even worry about it if, as I suspect, there is an unspoken length limitation.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 15
11-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Has the EULA for submitting foundry spotlights been finalized?

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 16
11-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
Has the EULA for submitting foundry spotlights been finalized?
I believe they are one in the same -- hitting the button will explain more + provide any additional requirements that need to be agreed to (e.g. won't be able to edit going forward, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Is there any possibility of getting some idea of what you're looking for in the spotlights? Because I'd rather not even worry about it if, as I suspect, there is an unspoken length limitation.
I look for outstanding, community recommended missions. I personally play through them and choose those that get spotlighted. Winning missions of my Foundry Challenges also make the spotlight.

I think the "submit" button is being taken two ways: 1) Community recommends, I play through and agree, I reach out to the author, and author submits it to us for featuring; and 2) A player would like to recommend themselves and hit the button to send it to me.

I'm sure I won't be able to have the time to play through every mission that is submitted using "way 2," but I will try my best. I'm planning on continuing to use the "community recommended missions" method ("way 1"), but I have no doubt that outstanding missions can also be found through "way 2", even if the community has not played it yet.

As for length, that's a tough one. Most past spotlights have been at least 15-20 minutes, but not more than an hour or so -- it has kinda just worked out that way so far, but that doesn't mean a longer mission couldn't be spotlighted.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Empire Veteran
# 17
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
The way that foundry missions are put out and this is no offense to authors since they cannot really control it but those missions just feel so blocky, choppy, and 2 Dimensional that there is really no fun in playing them especially when you play KDF with mostly ships that use cloaking devices and have to sit around and wait to recloak after it breaks them.

Make foundry missions have a look of being smooth and polished and then maybe they wouldn't make my eyes bleed out from trying to play one. To be honest though the only people who can really enjoy these are people that can accept what they are and do a lot of fan fiction writing and reading because if you aren't into that these aren't worth really bothering to do.
Ensign
# 18
11-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Brandon, you mentioned that you don't anticipate missions breaking.

But, since the re-opening of Foundry play today, problems have cropped up. In my mission "Orion Trilogy, part 3: Rebellion" for example, NPCs (including contacts) suddenly disappear partway through the first level, making the mission uncompletable. This didn't happen in S6. A thread in these forums indicates that at least one other Foundry author has had this happen to his mission as well.

What really sucks is that there's nothing I can do about it for at least another week (since I can't edit or unpublish the mission). Anyone who plays my mission for the next week is going to think it's poorly authored, and rate it accordingly.

So, I think you guys a.) need to review your assumption that season updates won't break missions, and b.) give Foundry authors some way to unpublish/disable their missions until the editor goes live again and we can fix the bugs that S7 created in our missions.

Please.

Last edited by commanderleeta; 11-21-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Captain
# 19
11-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm missing a npc with the update. I have no idea where he is. It doesn't affect the mission in question, but if it is happening to my spotlight, then it is now unplayable. This is exactly the example of why I've been hesitant to hand a mission over.

It could just need a simple y value tweak or something. But without the ability to edit and fix the issues caused by each season update, I'd have to wait in a "let me fix my mission!" queue.

Let's see how many of us are missing vital npcs before we freak out.
Ensign
# 20
11-21-2012, 06:19 PM
It's an issue of distance. I've confirmed this in multiple Foundry missions. If you move a certain distance away from NPCs (allies, enemies, or contacts) they simply disappear. This is especially obvious in space battle missions. Fly a little ways off and everyone disappears. Try it. It's happened in every Foundry mission I've played today.