Career Officer
# 1 missions not elligable
11-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Most if not all of the foundry missions are not able to be used for the daily. this is like so cheap. cant do the daily if we there r no missions that are able to be done.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
11-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Not sure what you mean by "most if not all." I took a quick look at the top rated missions and looked at every one till i got about a quarter of the way down. Maybe 1 in 10 doesn't qualify. I have 12 missions, only 1 doesn't qualify.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Lieutenant
DaStahl's observation and my response on the new "ineligible" foundry missions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl
The number of players that were earning 1440 dilithium on all of their ALTs by running simple Foundry missions (ie - click one thing on Earth Space Dock) and then selling that Dilithium to the exchange, then buying it back on their main forced us to make this change.

If you want the 1440 Dilithium from the Foundry daily - you must play a Foundry mission that "qualifies" - meaning it has to be at least 15 minutes of gameplay.

We've held off on making this change in the hopes that players would police the simple missions and have them removed - but it just didn't happen.

If we had a better solution for the Foundry daily, we would go with it - but for now - Sorry you have to play at least a 15 minute long mission.

We will look into increasing the reward if the average length of Foundry missions that players are playing is greater than 15 minutes - but we're waiting to see if players will stop using these missions as an "easy" way to get Dilithium.

MY RESPONSE:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute. It's not one 15 minute long foundry mission , it's THREE. The foundry just came up today and I immediately went to try an investigate officer reports mission because our fleet is sorely in need of fleet marks since the opening of season 7. I have invested over 45 minutes at this point and still am in need of one more foundry mission to complete the investigate off reports daily. I'm sorry but an extra hour of foundry missions every day is NOT what anybody should be forced to do to obtain a measly 50 fleet marks.
The investigate officer report daily was/is CRUCIAL to fleets(especially small or medium size fleets) to obtain the outrageous fleet mark requirements for fleet projects and upgrades. It was also crucial that the 3 foundry missions not take up a tremendous amount of time as there are a myriad of other responsibilities and items that need to be procured to advance the fleet.
By instituting this "15 minute minimum" qualification time for foundry missions to qualify for investigate officer reports daily, you are A. Finding another way to slowly drain the life out of the fleet system. B. adding another annoying grindfest facet to the STO gameplay experience. & C. Subconsciously creating animosity towards the the whole foundry system and foundry writers - foundry projects are supposed to be a way that player/members can express their creative talents and showcase them to the general STO community. Foundry projects SHOULD be a way for the community to enjoy the fruits of other members imaginations and, ultimately, become a treasure trove of content that can possibly be pulled into the STO cannon at a later date if said missions are of high quality. I thoroughly enjoy taking my spare STO time and perusing the foundry to find mission descriptions that seem appealing to me and playing said missions. By FORCING me to have to MAKE time daily and require me to play 3 LONG foundry missions; you're only succeeding in making the foundry seem like a grinding daily chore to me. Eventually I and others will not see the foundry missions as a useful creative outlet and tool, but, rather, something to disdain as an additional daily headache.

Either return investigate daily officer reports to it's previous season 6 structure OR change the requirement for investigate officer reports from 3 foundry missions to only one(that is fair) - otherwise you risk slowly destroying both the foundry and the fleet system in one fell swoop.
Lieutenant
# 4
11-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Yea I got the same thing, and none of my missions take less than 15 minutes to play. I have 5 missions that are ineligible.
Commander
# 5
11-24-2012, 08:24 PM
It's always been three Foundry missions. All Daniel Stahl said was that in order to qualify, each one has to be at least 15 minutes long. There is nothing wrong with that; it's perfectly reasonable.

The foundry was not set up to be a quick dilithium grab, it was set up to tell stories of varying lengths. Attaching rewards is necessary to get more people to give it a try. Even players who enjoy stories first and foremost want to advance their characters in some way.

I think everything from short patrol/exploration style missions to marathon missions are good to have (although I'd like to see some of the really long ones broken up into smaller chunks, like the dev mission arcs).

If all you are using the Foundry for is a few quick clicks to get dilithium, then the Foundry probably isn't what you are looking for. It's a story system, not a dilithium grinder. Yes, I understand that the dilithium requirements for many things are 'way over the top, but I don't think you should look at the Foundry as the cure-all for that problem.
Lieutenant
# 6
11-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
It's always been three Foundry missions. All Daniel Stahl said was that in order to qualify, each one has to be at least 15 minutes long. There is nothing wrong with that; it's perfectly reasonable.

The foundry was not set up to be a quick dilithium grab, it was set up to tell stories of varying lengths. Attaching rewards is necessary to get more people to give it a try. Even players who enjoy stories first and foremost want to advance their characters in some way.

I think everything from short patrol/exploration style missions to marathon missions are good to have (although I'd like to see some of the really long ones broken up into smaller chunks, like the dev mission arcs).

If all you are using the Foundry for is a few quick clicks to get dilithium, then the Foundry probably isn't what you are looking for. It's a story system, not a dilithium grinder. Yes, I understand that the dilithium requirements for many things are 'way over the top, but I don't think you should look at the Foundry as the cure-all for that problem.
This is now the second person in 2 threads who is commenting on my post without apparently reading it with any amount of comprehension. I did not say one word about dilithium, that's apparently Stahl's problem as he is basically admitting that it truly is all about the money. I could care less about the dilithium award. Unfortunately there is no fleet mark exchange nor any truly convenient way(other than meaningless, senseless, time consuming grinding) to obtain them. People who are not in a fleet or in a extremely large fleet can't possibly understand how serious of a change this investigate officer daily reward reworking is. I also would like to spend some time on New Romulus and check out the other added season 7 elements, but I and many, many others like me just can't. We are running around the PVE que ad nauseum all day long looking for ways to eek out any fleet marks. For instance, just one tier 1 fleet embassy upgrade task requires over 1200 fleet marks to complete. Multiply that by about 8-10 every week and your looking at an insurmountable goal for all but the largest fleets. The investigate officer reports daily, prior to season 7, was not a panacea, but it was, at minimum, a handy pressure release valve. You still had grinding to do, but it gave you some spare time to actually ENJOY the other aspects of STO. As it is now, there is no reason for anyone to join a fleet unless it is an immense one. If PWE doesn't tweak the investigate officer reports daily, then they MUST do SOMETHING to return those fleet marks or reduce the fleet mark requirement. I can understand that they don't want people with multiple alt's abusing the IOR daily to trade for Zen, but let's be honest, Off the top of my head I can think of several other easy dailies that can be exploited just as easily and PWE doesn't seem to have a problem with those(I.e. rescuing deferi captives, Academy daily exam, etc...) It seems more like PWE chose this particular daily to target because fleet marks were an additional reward. For the life of me I can't think why PWE would want to get rid of the small to mid size fleets, but that is exactly what they accomplishing.

Oh, and to make matters even more annoying; the missions that PWE chose to allow to qualify are a TOTAL crap shoot. I was up to 2:30am last night trying to find eligible foundry missions that actually worked. I would get through 90% of the mission only to find the map was broken and it could not be completed; so I'd have to drop the mission and find another one to start only to have the same thing happen again and again. I finally found 3 working missions but that was after trying SEVEN!!!! Four were broken....what an absolute waste.

Last edited by markarich; 11-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Commander
# 7
11-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarich View Post
This is now the second person in 2 threads who is commenting on my post without apparently reading it with any amount of comprehension. I did not say one word about dilithium, that's apparently Stahl's problem as he is basically admitting that it truly is all about the money. I could care less about the dilithium award. Unfortunately there is no fleet mark exchange nor any truly convenient way(other than meaningless, senseless, time consuming grinding) to obtain them. People who are not in a fleet or in a extremely large fleet can't possibly understand how serious of a change this investigate officer daily reward reworking is. I also would like to spend some time on New Romulus and check out the other added season 7 elements, but I and many, many others like me just can't. We are running around the PVE que ad nauseum all day long looking for ways to eek out any fleet marks. For instance, just one tier 1 fleet embassy upgrade task requires over 1200 fleet marks to complete. Multiply that by about 8-10 every week and your looking at an insurmountable goal for all but the largest fleets. The investigate officer reports daily, prior to season 7, was not a panacea, but it was, at minimum, a handy pressure release valve. You still had grinding to do, but it gave you some spare time to actually ENJOY the other aspects of STO. As it is now, there is no reason for anyone to join a fleet unless it is an immense one. If PWE doesn't tweak the investigate officer reports daily, then they MUST do SOMETHING to return those fleet marks or reduce the fleet mark requirement. I can understand that they don't want people with multiple alt's abusing the IOR daily to trade for Zen, but let's be honest, Off the top of my head I can think of several other easy dailies that can be exploited just as easily and PWE doesn't seem to have a problem with those(I.e. rescuing deferi captives, Academy daily exam, etc...) It seems more like PWE chose this particular daily to target because fleet marks were an additional reward. For the life of me I can't think why PWE would want to get rid of the small to mid size fleets, but that is exactly what they accomplishing.
Okay, replace dilithium with fleet marks and my answer is still the same.

15 minutes is a tiny mission in this game. The daily wrapper is just one more way of attaining fleet marks and/or dilithium. It is not intended to be a quickie thing. Personally, I think 10 minute missions should be okay, but I understand Cryptic's thinking here.

I am in a five-person fleet. We've about given up on the idea of advancing our base past tier 2 (we haven't gotten their yet, as only about three of us are really all that active). We might advance our embassy further, but I haven't seen the requirements for the upper tiers yet.

So, while I agree in general with your feelings that there is too much grind and cost for things now (at least for smaller fleets), I disagree with the idea that the Foundry daily should be a super quick fleet mark fix. While I feel that 30-45 minutes would be all right, Cryptic decided that 45-60 minutes was the way to go.

By comparison, you can easily get 50 fleet marks just doing two (maybe three) Fleet Mark events. I can usually do this with one ground and one space event, which takes less than 45-60 minutes.
Rihannsu
# 8
11-25-2012, 06:28 AM
@ Markarich: Um.... no. Like Broadnax said. Marks aren't that hard to come by. A good run of colony invasion will give you half of what the Foundry daily does.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
# 9 to the previous 2 posters
11-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Again, are you actually reading my post all the way through??? Of course there are OTHER ways to get fleet marks(hence my numerous references to GRINDING...and that is what both of you have referenced). Put it this way, take 50 fleet marks away from EVERY single member of a small to mid sized fleet and make them grind everyday for AT LEAST 2 hours to make up for the 50 lost on top of the other fleet mark grind missions you've referenced. I don't know about you, but I have a job and a family- I work 6 days a week for 60 hours a week. Most people over 24 years of age in a small to mid size feet are probably in similar situations(unless they're still living in mommy's basement or on their 2nd and a half year of tax payer funded unemployment or bilking the Social Security Disability program). I was again up to almost 3am last night. The foundry system is BROKEN. The small to mid sized fleet system is being decimated. I know people who loved being in their small fleet until 2 weeks ago; now they've completely given it up - that's detestable!!

The fleet mark situation has to be addressed, it's that simple. The fleet mark requirements for fleet projects are completely disproportionate to the available methods and timeframe it takes to obtain them. The part that I really am scratching my head on this - why are SO many people defending PWE. They are admittedly concerned only about finding ways to make more money off their player base. I've given hundreds of dollars to PWE over the course of my tenure on STO. I want real content for my money, not thinly veiled grindfests.
Ensign
# 10 foundry?
11-25-2012, 07:40 PM
ok so im kinda new here and im not one hundred percent sure on how to use the foundry....like i have this great idea but i cant use it cause the create tab wont light up could some one help