Ensign
# 1 idea: seccond screen
11-22-2012, 05:27 AM
hey everyone.

although it doesn?t happen much I was thinking today.
i have 2 screens connected on my pc and i never use the second one in this game.

so why not the ability to undock(getting them out of the main view) some windows (fleetroster, friendslist, equipmentwindow, etc.)

this way we can still play sto on one screen and have al these windows on the second screen.

its just an idea and i hope to get some serious feedback.
(and I am sorry if i just killed a grammar nazi.)

Last edited by boeljoet; 11-22-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
11-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeljoet View Post
hey everyone.

although it doesn?t happen much I was thinking today.
i have 2 screens connected on my pc and i never use the second one in this game.

so why not the ability to undock(getting them out of the main view) some windows (fleetroster, friendslist, equipmentwindow, etc.)

this way we can still play sto on one screen and have al these windows on the second screen.

its just an idea and i hope to get some serious feedback.
(and I?m sorry if i just killed a grammar nazi.)
I'd love this too, in the same way you can with Photoshop. However I would guess that would mean a hefty redesign/recoding of the game client.
Admiral Rednall
* Server Hamster attitude upgrade - Installed *
Captain
# 3
11-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Anything displayed on the screen is displayed through the 3d graphics engine so you can't move objects outside of the game "window", it may be possible to set your video card to span 2 or 3 monitors so the the main screen shows across all of them (i.e. ATI Eyefinity), I'm not sure of what settings in game can be made to change the centering so that your ship and character aren't stuck halfway between the 2 monitors and I don't know if the game would support the increased resolution and aspect ratio of a spanned display.
That said I would love it if the game had built in dual monitor support, having a wide screen monitor helps with the clutter but it would be great to be able to move all of the minutia off of the main screen.
Ensign
# 4
11-27-2012, 08:06 AM
alright,

first, thanks everyone for the response.

@ nyxadrill,
i was more thinking of some kind of addon (altrough i did let it open for others to decide),( idk how photoshop works )

@ maxvitor
a bit more technical but i think i got the basic idea.

becose of the limitations of moast videocards it is not posible to use dual screen.
altrough you ( and i think many others) definaly think this would support the gameplay
Lieutenant
# 5
11-27-2012, 08:18 PM
I had this idea some time ago, though with a twist. I'd thought of having a second touch screen just above your keyboard that you could put the UI on. Tack in some controls for moving your character/ship around to it and you'd have a truely immersive STO experience.
Lieutenant
# 6
11-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
it may be possible to set your video card to span 2 or 3 monitors so the the main screen shows across all of them (i.e. ATI Eyefinity), I'm not sure of what settings in game can be made to change the centering so that your ship and character aren't stuck halfway between the 2 monitors and I don't know if the game would support the increased resolution and aspect ratio of a spanned display.
That said I would love it if the game had built in dual monitor support, having a wide screen monitor helps with the clutter but it would be great to be able to move all of the minutia off of the main screen.
could alway use a projector to make a bigger screen, that shouldnt require more GPU power.
Captain
# 7
11-28-2012, 06:44 AM
A projector or bigscreen TV gives you a larger screen but doesn't resolve the original problem of clutter, I don't think the game has a limit on resolution, it's aspect ratio that is an important consideration, even if you set your computer up to span displays if the game doesn't support custom aspect ratios your view on screen will be badly distorted(everything looking unnaturally stretched or flattened).
As a workaround for a single screen you could reduce the scale of the UI in options, it doesn't clear the screen but at least UI elements can be made up to 50% smaller.
Career Officer
# 8
11-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeljoet View Post
alright,

first, thanks everyone for the response.

@ nyxadrill,
i was more thinking of some kind of addon (altrough i did let it open for others to decide),( idk how photoshop works )

@ maxvitor
a bit more technical but i think i got the basic idea.

becose of the limitations of moast videocards it is not posible to use dual screen.
altrough you ( and i think many others) definaly think this would support the gameplay
With Photoshop you can undock some of the menus and dialog boxes and move them out of the editing area. I do this when using it and have some of them moved onto my second screen.

As @Maxvitor has said though its sadly a limitation of the 3d engine that prevents it.

I like the idea of an add-on though and the portal development Cryptic are currently doing may be a possible compromise, especially when it comes to Doff management.
Admiral Rednall
* Server Hamster attitude upgrade - Installed *
Ensign
# 9 gateway
11-30-2012, 09:24 AM
when i was brouwsing the sto website today, a small picture cought my eye.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=721881

it was a nice suprise cryptic/pw is working on this "gateway"
i hope they develop this function to it most, and even see other players, fleet roster, inv and make it "comunicate" back to the game. ^^

@nyxadrill
i had the same idea.
but indeed it would give problems with the engine (read maxvitor comment for more info(ty btw ^^))

altrough this is an intresting development and wonder how its going to develop.
as they say in the link:
"This list of features is only the beginning of what?s possible ? there will be more features and functionality to come."

Last edited by boeljoet; 11-30-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Captain
# 10
11-30-2012, 06:09 PM
I think the gateway will only be useful for static elements of the game like doff assignments, mail, that sort of thing, that you can check on without having to log into the game but you wouldn't be able to move ui elements off the game screen to the gateway.
I have been looking into game pads etc. Razor has come out with a keyboard that has a touchpad with an LCD screen behind it that allows you to create custom keys and graphics that are displayed behind the buttons and pad themselves, but that's not the same as having ui elements working in a separate display.