Rihannsu
# 61
11-20-2012, 05:16 AM
yeah, clickies lived as long as they did probably because Cryptic hadn't figured out how to kill them yet.

I've heard some pretty nice stuff about the NW system, and I'm hoping that gets here.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 62
11-21-2012, 11:37 PM
If I wanted to spend my time in player-developed content, then I would just make my own missions and know what I am spending my time on; I joined STO to get quality game play, which also means quality control by the people running the MMO. Foundry has become an excuse for not developing real content in the game (the job of the game designers at STO that expect us to spend money on game candy).

There are some good Foundry missions, but too many are just amateur game designs that are further undermined by a limited and flawed game mechanics (e.g., Boffs getting stuck in doorways, NPCs shooting through walls, an hour of play and the only rewards are a few minor consumables). Foundry should be an enhancer and the playerbases way of following up STO content that is developed for story telling and game progression.

Now with the new requirements to get the only useful reward from the Investigate daily, the encouragement to play Foundry may get some resisters to play, but I think afer just a few weeks that many will just right off that daily since it will take up more game time than many want to give to Foundry missions.
Starfleet Veteran
# 63
11-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowestlvl View Post
As a foundry Author i have one thing to say towards the Foundry Players....

Put Up or Shut Up

If you think you can write the ultra badass mission then DO IT. until then wehn you play a mission even if its the crappiest mission on EVER. thank the author for their work, tip some dilitium, and go about your day.
If it is a bad mission then I won't play anything else written by that person, and if it is a good mission then I will give the player due credit (and some dilith), but I am not going to accept Foundry as my primary source for game content. STO needs to give the players content and stop using Foundry as an excuse. Besides, the biggest problem with Foundry is the limited mechanics provided to the player-authors that make some good stories seem mundane or poorly structured. STO... do your job.
Lieutenant
# 64
11-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowestlvl View Post
As a foundry Author i have one thing to say towards the Foundry Players....

Put Up or Shut Up

If you think you can write the ultra badass mission then DO IT. until then wehn you play a mission even if its the crappiest mission on EVER. thank the author for their work, tip some dilitium, and go about your day.
Poor work shouldn't be rewarded, but critiqued so the author learns from it and can then go on to create better missions. Learning from mistakes and all that. I certainly don't offer tips or a high number of stars if I think the mission can be improved substantially, especially since I had to earn that Dilithium in the first place to tip it.

On the reverse though; authors should not take it personally if they get a review that isn't rainbows and gumdrops and doesn't come with a Dilithium cherry on top. Foundry Authors have stepped into a world of making works available to wide audience with varying expectations.
Just can't let go of the Excelsior...
Lieutenant
# 65
11-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by connectamabob View Post
Ooh, I just had an idea!

Seeing people complain about the B'tran cluster being stripped of its dil rewards got me thinking: why does nobody like exploration missions?

1) No real rewards. Duh, that's what the B'Tran kerfuffle is about so obvious answer is obvious.

But, more that just that:

2) The missions themselves just really suck. They're all unengaging cookie cutter one click missions. The reason for this is obvious: there's way too many of them. The devs can't afford to spend the time making them interesting or unique, and are pretty much forced to just stamp them out en mass as short, cheap, cookie cutter missions.

Proposed idea: Create an "exploration mission" option for foundry mission publishing, and let Foundry authors do the heavy lifting. Foundry authors can create and submit missions specifically to become official exploration missions, via process similar to that used for spotlight or officer daily submission/approval. An approved mission gets assigned a door in one of the exploration sector anomalies.
The idea could be expanded to all explore areas; remember, they are by rank with objective to 20 mins like an explore currently, some combat and some report there of what happened.
The episode are currently an hour or longer and should get better rewards; but the hook to the foundry are the broken consoles and dancing. I had many ask me, "how you do that?". I reply the command codes j available community search quick that the road into the foundry and from there I found many others and always looking for something new.