Career Officer
# 441
11-22-2012, 02:26 PM
By the way, I actually agree that putting a Tellarite Engineer scanning something on the front page would be awesome. It would sure as heck "feel" more Star Trek than what we have now.
Career Officer
# 442
11-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
By the way, I actually agree that putting a Tellarite Engineer scanning something on the front page would be awesome. It would sure as heck "feel" more Star Trek than what we have now.
Agreed thats why I'm not defending either T'Boob or Phaser guy both are clearly pretty awful gender stereotypes.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh in the above post but it grates me that people overlook the fact that society, media and the influential manipulate male form and gender as much as they do female form. We're all victims of it regardless of what genitals we have.

To be honest with you it doesn't overly bother me because I have like a cranial version of Ad-Block, it just blocks out the homogenizing bull**** that society and culture try to throw at us.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 11-22-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Captain
# 443
11-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
The idea that we're all musclebound douchebags with huge shoulders shooting up the galaxy is such a positive image of masculinity
False equivalency is idiotic.
# 444
11-22-2012, 07:13 PM
People, this is not a problem of sexism. The problem here is that the current drawing is just very bad.

The old phaser guy was not falling over looking with an empty face at us. All that while shooting only god knows where. That's the problem.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Add Tier 6 staple KDF ship types: Carrier and Bird of prey.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Career Officer
# 445
11-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Agreed thats why I'm not defending either T'Boob or Phaser guy both are clearly pretty awful gender stereotypes.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh in the above post but it grates me that people overlook the fact that society, media and the influential manipulate male form and gender as much as they do female form. We're all victims of it regardless of what genitals we have.

To be honest with you it doesn't overly bother me because I have like a cranial version of Ad-Block, it just blocks out the homogenizing bull**** that society and culture try to throw at us.
I hear your apology.
Sorry if I sound a bit harsh as well, but discrimination, gender stereotyping, and unasked for priviledge are both something that I care about, and am quite knowledgeable about.

I understand your position.
I really do.
I totally disagree with it, but I understand exactly where your line of thinking comes from in modern society.
I would actually love to discuss it, but this is not the right kind of forum to do so.

To prove that the images are not even close in their objectification and pandering sexual imagery, all you have to do (as I suggested pages ago, and spawned a funny piece of art jesmx now has as a sig) is this. Take the image of T'Boobs and replace her with handsome phaser guy. Same Clothing, Same pose, same facial expression. Now take the image of Handsome Phaser Guy and replace him with T'Boobs. His uniform, his pose, his expression.

I have tons more to say about gender priviledge, stereotypes, etc. But as I said, not the right place for it.

regardless, we seem to be in agreement that the current front page image is a cheap, pandering piece of sexist advertising. I can simply agree to disagree about other things.
Career Officer
# 446
11-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Rotate the backgrounds.
It's a good freaking idea.

I like this idea. I'd also suggest including Helna, the Rigelian star of Havraha's Foundry missions, within the rotation. She is someone with a back history player's can actually become familiar with.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Commander
# 447
11-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post
People, this is not a problem of sexism. The problem here is that the current drawing is just very bad.

The old phaser guy was not falling over looking with an empty face at us. All that while shooting only god knows where. That's the problem.
^ This. Personally I don't care if we get phaser dude back, or a pudgy Tellarite, rotating images of in game NPCs, or a Tholian in a bikini. As long as SOMETHING is done with this horrible front page image.
Captain
# 448
11-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Then I'll summon all the males and make a whine thread that will be way more powerful then this one!

Ha ha ha ha ha! Unlimited power... I mean... What was I talking about, the girl's face distracted me!
Captain
# 449
11-23-2012, 12:53 PM

It's "sexist" if you're the sort of person who lives such a sheltered, monotonous life that they have to go looking for things to get histrionic about.
Ensign
# 450
11-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
Then I'll summon all the males and make a whine thread that will be way more powerful then this one!

Ha ha ha ha ha! Unlimited power... I mean... What was I talking about, the girl's face distracted me!

N.B. Unlimited Power may cause hair loss, halitosis, mental illness, necrosis and in rare cases, fatality. Please use and enjoy Unlimited Power responsibly.