Empire Veteran
Here's a thought: Why not use the skill bonuses from the reputation system as 'free' skill points in a way?

Like the Omega Weapons Training to start, it adds 30 to your Weapon Proficiency skill.

Let us say a player had 99 in WP, and got that bonus. So he has 129 points, but as the skills are done in this game, the amount of gain is lessened despite the 30 extra points.

But, what if the player respecced, and only put 5 clicks into WP, which would be 65 points if I am thinking of my skills correctly. Then, the bonus 30 would still apply, giving him 95.

What this means is that the player, losing very very little damage with his weapons, can now take those freed skill points, and put them elsewhere, like...Grenades, or Combat Armor, etc.

So, thoughts on this?

Career Officer
# 2
11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Here's a thought: Why not use the skill bonuses from the reputation system as 'free' skill points in a way?

Like the Omega Weapons Training to start, it adds 30 to your Weapon Proficiency skill.

Let us say a player had 99 in WP, and got that bonus. So he has 129 points, but as the skills are done in this game, the amount of gain is lessened despite the 30 extra points.

But, what if the player respecced, and only put 5 clicks into WP, which would be 65 points if I am thinking of my skills correctly. Then, the bonus 30 would still apply, giving him 95.

What this means is that the player, losing very very little damage with his weapons, can now take those freed skill points, and put them elsewhere, like...Grenades, or Combat Armor, etc.

So, thoughts on this?
You are right that you can use the skill points in this way, although I'm pretty sure that there are no diminishing returns for higher skill points, so the opportunity cost is the same regardless.

I will say that I think the skill point angle is a good way to rank some of the options, though - like Rom tier 2 - 30 points in a low level skill, or 3% crit chance (more than the full bonus available from BOTH specializations) seems like a no-brainer to me.
Captain
# 3
11-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post

So, thoughts on this?
Mimey: this does not pertain to your post, but I assume you will be checking this thread. Please check the newest PvP Boot Camp post since I am having some difficulties contacting you in-game to respond to your email about the TS information. Thanks.

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Captain
# 4
11-22-2012, 04:34 PM
It actually does give a good amount of added damage with just +30 points. On my DHCs, I got a 43.5 DPS increase. That's about half of one of my purple mk XII phaser relay. Essentially giving me half a console.

Add the increase among all of my weapons and buffs, it'll give me about 500+ DPS. Not a ton, but about half of one of my consoles.