Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 Ask Cryptic: November 2012
11-23-2012, 12:00 PM
In this brand-new edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Daniel Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions.

Link to the Ask Cryptic.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 2
11-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Q: (tatterdemalion1) When is crafting going to be reworked? Aside from the Aegis set, there?s nothing craftable we can make that we can?t buy in the Dilithium Store, so what?s the point of all those crafting materials apart from putting them towards Fleet Projects?

Dstahl: Crafting is slated to get its own Reputation System and we also want to revamp the system. The earliest time frame the revamp will happen would be in Season 9 or later, but we may be able to get the Reputation system and rewards out sooner. We?ll have to see how Season 8 goes first.
Why do I get the impression that all my accumulated crafting skill will be robbed from my toons and I'll have to start all over again ?
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Commander
# 3
11-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Because, you will, just like the STFs, just like all of us.

Ok I am confused. Dan stated these in the Q&A.

Q: (ebrithil1) As much as I love all the new content you've been pushing out for the Feds, I like my Klingons too. When can we expect to see you fulfill the promise you made to expand the content on the red side?

Dstahl: Personally, I?m still very committed to ensuring the KDF has levels 1-50, more so than I can even publicly talk about because it would involve going into details about all the internal conversations I?ve had within the company about this topic. It is my goal as EP to make this happen and the only thing that I can give you is that I?m fighting for it and want to do it. It just isn?t official yet.

Q: (vawlkus) Please tell me there?s a timeline to get Klingon?s back to starting at level 1. I flat our refuse to start a new character at level 20. Even if the missions aren?t there, let us figure out our way upwards.

Dstahl: Totally agree with you and I?m working on it getting it approved and have been ever since I returned as EP. I?m not giving up on this.

And yet, during the Season 7 Update! More Changes Inbound! Posted Nov 20, 2012 thread, he states the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
That's not really fair and not representative of our relationship with PW. Yes we have budgets and goals, but they are not involved in our game design. All the changes in Season 7 were Cryptic's doing and we are more than willing to change based on feedback. PW is really not the big bad guys. Jack on the other hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
To be fair to Jack - he has been the most vocal champion of the changes that you see in this list. He plays STO a lot and always has really good feedback. I just like to blame him for things because he's fun to tease.

If there is anyone that deserves the shame, it is me because ultimately the buck stops here and if something goes live, I approved it.

Luckily, I can also change it

Fortunately, Season 6 (and now Season 7) have been such positive improvements to the game (and the health of the business), I've been able to increase my staff and for the first time in Season 8 - tackle something awesome and on my long standing engineering report to do list.

If things keep going this way - the team will be able to start knocking off all of the features and content goals we've had since day one. It really is a good time for STO and we hope that with your support - it continues!
So I am confused. If Dan has ultimate say as EP on what goes in and what stays out, why is he needing anything approved?

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
11-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Q: (tatterdemalion1) When is crafting going to be reworked? Aside from the Aegis set, there?s nothing craftable we can make that we can?t buy in the Dilithium Store, so what?s the point of all those crafting materials apart from putting them towards Fleet Projects?

Dstahl: Crafting is slated to get its own Reputation System and we also want to revamp the system. The earliest time frame the revamp will happen would be in Season 9 or later, but we may be able to get the Reputation system and rewards out sooner. We?ll have to see how Season 8 goes first.

Here comes the added dilithium costs onto the crafting system, you thought it was already worthless then? Just you wait.

Answering a few fluff questions, doesn't actually give players concerns a rest nor does it show that you intend on solving the underlining problems with the game daStahl. Furthermore, where is my Trait reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Why do I get the impression that all my accumulated crafting skill will be robbed from my toons and I'll have to start all over again ?
Because you will be robbed without a question. Just like Cryptic robbed fleets work by nerfing requirements after they ( the players ) already paid through the nose for the projects and Cryptic gave nothing back in return for the resources squandered.

Doesn't really matter though, because they didn't nerf them enough, they should remove dilithium from base requirements all together.

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |

Last edited by mewi; 11-23-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Captain
# 5
11-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiouvegeta2 View Post

So I am confused. If Dan has ultimate say as EP on what goes in and what stays out, why is he needing anything approved?
He is Brilliant and should go into politics as his next career - it's just one big circle with the KDF to keep you going - wait -what - ok I just can't think about it - do whatever.

See my threat:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=461121
Captain
# 6
11-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
Answering a few fluff questions, doesn't really answer the underlining problems with the game Stahl.[/color]
wrong .He already said that they will slowly turn every system this game has into a repu...I mean sink which will reward the players left alive (most people are mortals) after a long waiting period with something purple which will be nefed by the time the sink time waiting period ends

short: more sinks ...less rewards ...more waiting.

now Ill move to a train station at least there I can legally wait

as for those things promissed (retrait tokens ,bugs fixed ,pvp ,less obvious greed ) ...we'll have to wait .At least they could add the to a reputation system lol
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
11-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm63 View Post
wrong .He already said that they will slowly turn every system this game has into a repu...I mean sink which will reward the players left alive (most people are mortals) after a long waiting period with something purple which will be nefed by the time the sink time waiting period ends

short: more sinks ...less rewards ...more waiting.

now Ill move to a train station at least there I can legally wait

as for those things promissed (retrait tokens ,bugs fixed ,pvp ,less obvious greed ) ...we'll have to wait .At least they could add the to a reputation system lol
Wait... how was I wrong again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
He is Brilliant and should go into politics as his next career - it's just one big circle with the KDF to keep you going - wait -what - ok I just can't think about it - do whatever.

See my threat:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=461121

I can see it now: "Dan Stahl quits Cryptic, now introducing, Dan Stahl V2.0, welcome him as if he was actually a different person in real life o.o!"

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
Captain
# 8
11-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiouvegeta2 View Post
Because, you will, just like the STFs, just like all of us.
So, because I'm not lazy and did the progression I have to suffer because the people who aren't doing the crafting progression and want to buy the skill outright are pushing for the change ?

I can choose to walk away from the new STF reputation system, it's not so easy with the crafting system because I can't sell my accumulated skills, and I sometimes need to craft an oddball piece for a particular mission. It's won't be fun if I gotta pay 10's of thousands in ec and dilith for the 'right' to make a 500ec piece of gear.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 9
11-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
those were not fluff questions and answers :p

the conclusion after that was "more sinks" .I dont think he was "fluffing" about that and questions were good because it will create a future plan for your grin...I mean dilithium wallet .Cant you just see the positive sides for a second
Captain
# 10
11-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:

I can see it now: "Dan Stahl quits Cryptic, now introducing, Dan Stahl V2.0, welcome him as if he was actually a different person in real life o.o!"
No I am serious I think he should run for office - maybe a Senator or something - politics is where he belongs - he has the spin factor that could take him to the White House!

I vote for President of the United States - Daniel Stahl