Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 844
# 11 comment
11-23-2012, 09:36 AM
I cant comment on the mobius or the recluse but i can warn you off the atrox.

I have one on my fed toon and it sucks, the feds choice of pets is appalling and it blows up for fun.

I am sick of having to haul my ginormous vo'quv ass over the other side of a KASE map because they've got beat up by a cube and are about to let the (ive got these) probes through and ruin the optional

karfi and vo'quv are the best carriers on the game with the recluse probably taking a third place from what ive seen

but any decision you make don't waste your money on the atrox
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 351
# 12
11-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafatennick View Post
I cant comment on the mobius or the recluse but i can warn you off the atrox.

I have one on my fed toon and it sucks, the feds choice of pets is appalling and it blows up for fun.

I am sick of having to haul my ginormous vo'quv ass over the other side of a KASE map because they've got beat up by a cube and are about to let the (ive got these) probes through and ruin the optional

karfi and vo'quv are the best carriers on the game with the recluse probably taking a third place from what ive seen

but any decision you make don't waste your money on the atrox
however he is referring to a fed carrier. and on top of that the recluse is very expensive the atrox is a good ship sure not very manuverable but that also can be used as a advantage like power sliding into the fight if timed right you can have systems at fighting stength while crusing into the fight also carriers don't ususally need to involve themselves in fights. atrox can just hang back and lets its wings of fighters do the work for it. sure it can suppliment them but for the atrox it is there to support the fighters not be a standalone DPS unit. the recluse is fleet grade but very expensive so unless ya know how to earn EC fast it is not a viable option. I would also reccomend looking at the Armitage and the Vesta line because they are carriers meant for front line action unlike the Atrox which should hand back a bit from all the fighting and yes the atrox can equip cannons.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
# 13
11-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafatennick View Post

karfi and vo'quv are the best carriers on the game with the recluse probably taking a third place from what ive seen
The Recluse is easily the best carrier in the game hands down, I'm sorry. The Atrox, though not a bad ship, probably isn't really worth it unless you really want a pure fed carrier. Like somebody said earlier, it's a Z-store ship with 9 consoles, no unique devices and is basically a Vo'quv that leans science VS. the Vo'quv that leans tactical. It's not a bad ship, but leaves one to wonder why it's in the Z-store compared to just being a rear admiral ship like the Vo'quv (considering you pay just as much for it as the Karfi with the Karfi being many times more capable).
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 412
# 14
11-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theuser2021 View Post
The Recluse is easily the best carrier in the game hands down, I'm sorry. The Atrox, though not a bad ship, probably isn't really worth it unless you really want a pure fed carrier. Like somebody said earlier, it's a Z-store ship with 9 consoles, no unique devices and is basically a Vo'quv that leans science VS. the Vo'quv that leans tactical. It's not a bad ship, but leaves one to wonder why it's in the Z-store compared to just being a rear admiral ship like the Vo'quv (considering you pay just as much for it as the Karfi with the Karfi being many times more capable).
What definition of "best" are you using when you say that the Recluse is better than the Vo'quv and Kar'fi?
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 15
11-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Just gonna say this outright. Recluse vs Atrox? Why is that even a question. The Recluse is vastly superior to the Atrox in EVERY aspect. Widow fighters are very powerful. Due to their tetryon weapons and the sheer number of them, you will usually strip a target's shields rather quickly. That gives the Recluse the interesting possibility of being a torpedo boat. Also the Recluse is far more versatile courtesy of it's Uni Cmdr BOff slot. It also has 10 consoles.

If you can't get 60-65 mil ecs though, don't even bother. But if you can, I would say save your zen, and blow your ECs on the Recluse. I have friends who fly a recluse, and NONE of them regret having bought it. However many of my friends who have the Atrox do regret it.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,550
# 16
11-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzy4 View Post
Yes, you can, I just double checked it. even quad cannons if you want. Try it.
Uh, out of curiosity, you've actually tried it yourself or you're basing this on the item's description, which mention "Carrier" as a ship that is able to equip them?

Because when I bought the Atrox I wasn't able to mount dual cannons. And I've tried, mind you.

Not that it's important in any way, as I'll never go back to Atrox and I strongly discourage people from buying it. If you need to fly a Carrier then go for the Recluse. Otherwise look for something that can turn, because personally being a PvE player this was the reason I started dropping every ship with turn-rate lower than 8... As fun as Recluse was it was a pain to fly. Changed it to Vesta.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
# 17
11-23-2012, 04:51 PM
I think the Atrox is as good as the Voq, but the Karfi is a lot better. The Atrox is fine, very tanky, but not great for DPS since it doesn't have duals. Same DPS as Voq though, more or less. The pets the Feds have are fine, most are identical to the Klinks, except the bops, and they are only good if you baby sit them.

I have all three and I like the Karfi the best, but the Voq and Atrox are the same, at least for my play style. I have no problems doing elite STFs and doing solid DPS in all of them, and since they nerfed the invisible torp of doom, I never die.

The Recluse is better though, no downside, besides that it's fugly.

Last edited by mellestadsto; 11-23-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,628
# 18
11-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveks View Post
Because when I bought the Atrox I wasn't able to mount dual cannons. And I've tried, mind you.
Well I checked and I taken some DHCs from my Steamrunner and they could be set on the forward weapons slots of the Atrox, I even put then to check if it accepted then and it did.

Not it helps the Atrox much as the ship cannot turn.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 961
# 19
11-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for your advice and info!

I've ultimately decided to go with getting an Atrox, mainly because I had money to burn and the ship is quite pretty. Also, I'm working on a Sci toon, and having an account-level unlock will give him more options when I get up in levels, as opposed to getting a character-only Recluse.

I also decided against the Recluse because I want a Mobius (or Wells), and I figure that if I want to spend 3 years worth of accumulated EC on something (I grind very slowly), I may as well use it on a ship I'm reasonably sure I'll have fun playing in, something I can't necessarily say for carrier-style play.

With that in mind, does anyone have suggestions for an Atrox build? Right now I've transplanted some of my old cruiser/SV equipment while figuring out what to do, and here's what I've got:


Weapons: (I plan to switch to polarized tetryons or phased disruptors when I can)
Fore: 1x Wide-Angle Quantum, 2x Phaser Array Mk XI (borg)
Aft: 2x Phaser array mk xi (borg), 1x Tricobalt Mine

Shield/Engine/Deflector: Full MACO Mk. XI (also have full Borg, full Jem'Hadar, full Breen, and Omega Shield/Engines)

Consoles:
Eng: 1x Neutronium (rare mk xi), 1x Ablative (purple mk xii), 1 RCS Accelerator (or Resonance Cascade console from the Steamrunner)
Sci: Borg Console, 2x Field Generator, 1x Shield Emitter Amplifier (purple mk xii)
Tac: 2x Phaser Relay (to be replaced with appropriate damage console later)
Hangar: 1x Purple Danubes, 1x Purple Peregrines (may go all-danube/Peregrine for STFs)

Boffs/Powers:

Cmd Sci: Transfer Shield I, Haz. Emitter II, Viral Matrix I, Grav Well III
LtC Sci: Polarize hull I, Tyken's Rift 1 (might replace with Haz Em II), Transfer Shield III
Lt Tac: Tactical Team I, Fire At Will II
LtC Eng: Emer. Power Shields I, Reverse Polarity I, Emer. Power Shields III

Any suggestions? I'm also open to more exotic builds.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,787
# 20
11-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzy4 View Post
Yes, you can, I just double checked it. even quad cannons if you want. Try it.
ok. are you talking about the Caitian Carrier Atrox, or the Escort Carrier Armitage? Armitage can use dual cannons and the quad cannons.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:58 AM.