Commander
Vesta ships pack.= Overpriced.
All projects,personal,starbase and embassy.=Extremely Expensive.
Cost of projects then buying items after projects are done. Totally not fair.
The dilithium allowances are far too small,and we are forced to buy it,to get anywhere in this game.This is despite STO being a free game,so we are told.
Free game???? I think not.
It seems to me that the costs involved are getting worse,and it does not matter if a fleet is big or small. The prices generally are far too high.
I hope that Dan Stahl and Mr Branflakes themselves see this,and i hope they realise,that STO will lose people,as they will be priced out of this game.

This whole fleet idea was a big mistake,sadly there are many in fleets who don't bother contributing,and they sit back and do nothing most of the time,while others end up carrying them so to speak.
Personally if it were ever possible,i would run a fleet with just myself and duty officers as fleet staff. end result is more efficient progress and no arguements with other players in this game,about who contributes what and general costs etc.
Captain
# 2
11-24-2012, 02:54 PM
if it was so expensive like you say people wouldnt be paying, but they do..

i have all that and ive never spent any money on zen..

you do not have to pay for anything if you dont want to, this is why i like this game.
all it takes is time and patience.

there are some f2p games that make you pay in the end.. either you get capped at a very low level or you cant do many of the fun things.. would you rather have that?
Career Officer
# 3
11-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons9 View Post
if it was so expensive like you say people wouldnt be paying, but they do..

i have all that and ive never spent any money on zen..

you do not have to pay for anything if you dont want to, this is why i like this game.
all it takes is time and patience.
Yep!

Also, Fleets can look at their contribution leaderboards and REWARD FLEET MEMBERS ACCORDINGLY. In another game, when we needed group resources, I put a bounty up: 1x gave 1y reward up to z. Hey, it can work nicely!
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Career Officer
# 4
11-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Except the time investment for the mats required for most individual projects (reputation, doff) is way less than most alternate advancement systems.

The game is not free-to-play and everything can be gained in under one fortnight. It's free-to-play.

The advancement for non-guild projects is on par with the rates in WoW for endgame sets or EQ2/Age of Conan for alternate advancement.

One character can't (and shouldn't) be able to complete all systems in the game.

This is one of those issues that I really haven't seen eye-to-eye with most of the community but my impression is that everything I've really needed to be competitive has been free-of-charge (or available via exchange).
Republic Veteran
# 5
11-24-2012, 03:05 PM
I think Cryptic does what it can for money and in all cases it's not that bad; but when they're already selling Doff packs; up-pricing the doff grinding system is a bad move IMHO. I'll buy the ships, I'll buy the fleet mods, I'll buy the Doff packs, I'll buy the emotes and costumes + dilithium sometimes for fleet projects at times but to add another sink of dilithium; to doffs? Vicious and ruthless in my honest opinion at least... at it's current price it feels so.

Their ships? One time charge; you get to use it on any character you want so that's reasonable especially since you can use it on more than one. Be selective with your choices; be cunning.

I just don't feel anyone can be 'cunning' with the Doff grinding so over-priced.
Commander
# 6
11-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Welcome to F2P :-P It can be really expensive if you want everything as fast as possible. There are people who spent over 500$ on Lockboxes
Commander
# 7
11-24-2012, 05:55 PM
alot of people will contribute comoditys and the like to the starbae stuff btu when it comes to putting in dilithium people avoid those as much as they cna like the plauge as dill generation atm is painful and the 8k daily cap hurts it even more as people want to save it for the actual equipment they can use that costs a fair price anyway in dill rather than spend it on another random starbase assignment that doesnt really give anything back.
"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl
Lieutenant
# 8
11-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Claiming a F2P game is expensive is like complaining liquid nitrogen is too hot... You just end up looking like an idiot...

If you don't want to pay for anything in STO, don't. You don't have to complain about nonsense and gibberish.
Career Officer
# 9
11-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoldt View Post
Claiming a F2P game is expensive is like complaining liquid nitrogen is too hot... You just end up looking like an idiot...

If you don't want to pay for anything in STO, don't. You don't have to complain about nonsense and gibberish.
take that page from your book and use it for your self you are complaining about a complainer
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Commander
# 10
11-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian View Post
Welcome to F2P :-P It can be really expensive if you want everything as fast as possible. There are people who spent over 500$ on Lockboxes
And people wonder why many games are going to F2P. Here's a hint: It's not always because they're failboats. People really do spend a hell of a lot more on a F2P game than on sub based games.

One player spending about 3 1/2 years worth of sub fees in a single month.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting