Captain
# 41
11-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Heheh

If the game has a lot of items you really want OP, and you feel forced to spending money I'd say they are doing their job right...

About the reputation system, though I hate it as much as the next guy, I recognize they met us halfway not once but twice.
From removing dilithium cost to cutting down leveling time to actually adding dilithium as a reward.

The f2p model in this game is far superior to anything I ever saw, having access to nearly everything but I sometimes wonder if it's at the expense of the subscribers.

And though I for the most parts didn't like season 6 nor season 7 I think the amount of content is actually good.
We have had new maps and new ships and what not coming out at a steady pace while I've been here.
I don't enjoy the new denture zone myself but I know a lot people think it's really great so I have to give them props for at least adding to the game.

And finally yes there are things that need work which they acknowledge and I look at it as they started from scratch and are rebuilding, I don't doubt that things will get better.

True enough however that kdf and pvp seem to be at the buttom of their list.
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-25-2012, 03:01 AM
As a new player who started playing yesterday I have to agree with the OP. I've found the gameplay more immersive than I expected and so far I quite enjoy the game. Despite somehow being ganked by another player in Earth spacedock while doing the tailor tutorial, which wasn't a good start.

I've played a few MMOs, some of which have gone F2P after a while, or have started off that way. For STO, the first thing that strikes me as odd is the in-game currency which is overly complicated. For some reason there seem to be 4 or more different currencies, which is just confusing for a new player.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a many ways to make energy credits in game to actually buy equipment/consumables. It seems natural to me that ECs should be given as one of the rewards for a mission, as a small passive income generator. The only things I've acquired of any value I've kept for use because I can't afford anything. I'm a lvl 3 lieutenant and still don't have any ECs still.

My overall impression is that the in-game economy is overly biased towards spending real money for in-game equipment, which actually lowers the enjoyment of the game. The one MMO I've played recently that has got the best F2P model is GW2, which is extremely polished (very few bugs, and looks and plays brilliantly - on release). No nickle and diming, as most items for real money are cosmetics only. On top of that you can exchange in-game currency for store currency (gems).

Last edited by genemorph; 11-25-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Captain
# 43
11-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genemorph View Post

My overall impression is that the in-game economy is overly biased towards spending real money for in-game equipment, which actually lowers the enjoyment of the game. The one MMO I've played recently that has got the best F2P model is GW2, which is extremely polished (very few bugs, and looks and plays brilliantly - on release). No nickle and diming, as most items for real money are cosmetics only. On top of that you can exchange in-game currency for store currency (gems).
GW2 isn't f2p, it's B2P. They get $60 out of every single person that plays it.

In STO, You can trade dilithium (in game currency) for Zen (store currency). It's even a floating currency, regulated by player supply and demand.

You can earn almost anything in STO without paying a single penny, just by converting dilithium to Zen.

People can fault STO for a lot of things, but its F2P model isn't one of them. It's one of the most progressive f2p model in MMOs.

Last edited by xantris; 11-25-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-25-2012, 04:50 AM
What it all boils down to is that you don't have to spend a single cent in STO to enjoy all the content or be able to hold your own For an f2p title that is extraordinary :

- all content is available for everyone ( no adventure packs or anything like that ) regardless of if they spend cash
- you get a free ship when leveling at 10,20,30 and 40 th level . The rear admiral ship you get at level 40 is very good and it isn't necessary to buy any c-store ship
- even if you do want to buy a ship there's the possibility to exchange an ingame currency ( dilithium ) for Zen and thus acquire that ship without spending a dime of RL cash .

QFT :

Quote:
People can fault STO for a lot of things, but its F2P model isn't one of them. It's one of the most progressive f2p model in MMOs.
Rihannsu
# 45
11-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Quote:
As a new player who started playing yesterday I have to agree with the OP. I've found the gameplay more immersive than I expected and so far I quite enjoy the game. Despite somehow being ganked by another player in Earth spacedock while doing the tailor tutorial, which wasn't a good start.

I've played a few MMOs, some of which have gone F2P after a while, or have started off that way. For STO, the first thing that strikes me as odd is the in-game currency which is overly complicated. For some reason there seem to be 4 or more different currencies, which is just confusing for a new player.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a many ways to make energy credits in game to actually buy equipment/consumables. It seems natural to me that ECs should be given as one of the rewards for a mission, as a small passive income generator. The only things I've acquired of any value I've kept for use because I can't afford anything. I'm a lvl 3 lieutenant and still don't have any ECs still.

An Lt3.... yeah, you're pretty much guaranteed to be broke. Seriously, you're 3 step from being "fresh meat"... Anyways, as a new player with no cash, a quick way to get money is to go to the exploration cluster near Sol and scan for anomalies there. Regular data sample go for something, but not much, rare particle traces go for quite a lot. Not millions, but enough that a low level player could be comfortably well off for a while.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 46
11-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Quote:

a new player doesnt really need anything aside from maybe some hypos for ground missions..

any gear you get as loot will be good enough and if you did buy anything in a few levels its useless.
Captain
# 47
11-25-2012, 08:16 AM
I couldn't agree more about the f2p model, you really are getting spoiled.

If you spending time searching for gear on your current level you are royally wasting time - and EC's.

Anything that isn't related to getting you a level up is a huge waste of time for the simple reason, higher level = higher rewards. So the same time you put in will be worth more - "when the time comes"

I still have plenty of tutorial missions in my log for example.

Your main tool in hitting the next level should be the mirror universe event, look for it and if it pops you should be doing nothing else than farm that for the whole hour.

Best advice I can give for a new player is read up on ship types so you don't end up picking the wrong ship for your final one, you might have to be flying that for a long time.

Then after you are done leveling, say story missions or whatever are still there waiting for you, only now you get the max reward for doing them...
Career Officer
# 48
11-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Quote:

Having been around STO since closed beta, i would say you hit it on the head, since F2P/P2W launched.

Some people are going to claim you can get everything in game without spending Real World money, and they would be correct, but fail to mention the disproportionate amount fo time to acquire the items. In STO, you are punished if you dont want to spend RW monies. The time to acquire the Dilithium needed for conversion into Zen is way out of wack compared to the player that has more disposable income.

It is even further punishing the player by only letting them refine 8k of Dilithium a day. Just to get a complete set of weapons and consoles for your ship at lvl 50 takes aroun 150k plus dilithium, divide that by the daily refine cap, and your at 18 days just for the equipment, not to mention the 2500 zen required for the ship.

This is a far cry from when the Cstore went live, and we were promised the ability to get all items in game in a reasonable amount of time.

As far as too many currencies, you are correct. At one points we had something like 10 in game currencies. One for each level of exploration cluster missions as well as the daily currency. Cryptic removed all but two, and i guess they realized it is much harder for them as a company, because now it seems we are going to get a currency for everything that gets added, unless Romulans are the last Rep faction we need to worry about, which is highly unlikely.

Just be prepared to be shouted down for your view point, it is not the most prevalent one on these forums, a shame really, seeing as how people spend 3 years worth of subscription monies in a single month, and shout out that the game is F2P.
Captain
# 49
11-25-2012, 09:34 AM
The STO F2P model is vastly superior and customer friendly than any other F2P title out there. Apart from the lifetime perks, everything can be reached by ingame means and if you have ever played another mmo, you'd see that it can be reached with far less effort and time involved.

In SWTOR for example, you have to pay $$$ for pretty much everything. You want to hide your helmet? $7. You want to wear good equipment? Another $4. Bank slots? $4. And no way to earn that currency ingame.
Captain
# 50
11-25-2012, 09:46 AM
In DC universe online, all raids are expansion packs that cost cash and you have a 1000 in-game credits limit