Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lieutenant
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 90
As I read through the forums I see this undercurrent of a debate between plasma and quantum weapons. What's the skinny on what is best? Or is something even better. I recently switched my beams and turrets to plasma (still have quantum torps for the moment) and added two plasma boosting tac consoles. This increased my dps by about 20K. But I'm wondering if I should swithc the torps, too. (I know, I know... rainbow boats, blah blah blah), But if Plasma is as great as I thought it was I don't want to switch them.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 2
11-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Plasma is an interesting weapon. It has that plasma fire, but as actual damage from the torp goes and overall DPS from the straight out kinetic damage, it's sub-par. Add in the plasma fires, it can be useful, but in all honesty, plasma is really only good against small squishy targets, like science vessels and some escort builds. Anything with high hull will simply ignore the plasma fire, since it has enough HP to outlast it easily (mostly cruisers). You try to use plasma on a cruiser, it will look at you, blink a few times, then ignore you after hitting HE and Aux2SIF.

Quantum torps are mostly for burst damage, since they do the highest damage per hit (other than tricobalts), and if you use them in combination with TS3 or THY3, life can be insanely awesome. But as overall DPS goes, they are still sub-optimal, but as burst capability goes (ignoring tricobalts again), they are probably the best (which is why it is used primarily on cruisers, since they won't get their torps on a target much courtesy of crappy turn rate, so when they do they cause a lot of damage).

If you want maximum DPS on a torp, run photons. They are the fastest firing, and have the highest straight DPS out of all the torps. They don't do as much damage per torp as a quantum, but the higher firing rate means more chances of any procs you might have on your torpedo (borg or crit) and the higher firing rate also is where the added dps comes from.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 90
# 3
11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks, that was really helpful. Should I apply that thinking to my turrets and beams as well or is all that fairly specific to torps?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 610
# 4
11-25-2012, 06:23 PM
has anyone checked to see if the beam consoles boost the plasma torps?
No to T5 Constitution No to T5 Miranda No to Arc Yes to a Federation Frigate Pet
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 5
11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Plasma consoles are separated now, only one boosts plasma torps, and the other only boosts energy weapons. Before they used to boost both since they said increased plasma damage, now one says increase plasma projectiles, the other says increase plasma energy damage.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 291
# 6
11-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Plasma weapons are good in that their TAC consoles are cheap, its like having an extra dmg or two to your weapon. VFM gets ignored by vet players that don't seem to mind chasing insanely expensive stuff, or get stuck on the 28% consoles.

Photons are great if you can reliably keep your weapons targetted, easy in STF, not easy in PVP or those PVE with loads of ships hunting kills.

I ran a photon torp sci boat in the public queue elite stfs and often got the bonus loot as top contributor. Not great against shielded ships but easily out dps beam boats and out tanked escorts that hade to fire from long range or make attack runs.

Your inventory and bank have room to collect weapons and consoles, why not try some cheap versions of different sets before chasing the expensive stuff?

Generally I'd run with a quantum on the front, but I don't have a cruiser just sci, escort and carrier.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 7
11-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovinspace View Post
Plasma weapons are good in that their TAC consoles are cheap, its like having an extra dmg or two to your weapon. VFM gets ignored by vet players that don't seem to mind chasing insanely expensive stuff, or get stuck on the 28% consoles.
Not anymore. Market speculation on the new Romulan weapons has pushed the consoles up just under Disruptors in price(22 million and rising), about a 400% increase over the last week.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 734
# 8
11-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Plasma consoles are separated now, only one boosts plasma torps, and the other only boosts energy weapons. Before they used to boost both since they said increased plasma damage, now one says increase plasma projectiles, the other says increase plasma energy damage.
The Plasma DoT on torps is energy so it is boosted by both consoles.



Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
If you want maximum DPS on a torp, run photons. They are the fastest firing, and have the highest straight DPS out of all the torps. They don't do as much damage per torp as a quantum, but the higher firing rate means more chances of any procs you might have on your torpedo (borg or crit) and the higher firing rate also is where the added dps comes from.
Unless you run projectile doffs then Photons are one of the lowest DPS torps.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,119
# 9
11-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirscht View Post
As I read through the forums I see this undercurrent of a debate between plasma and quantum weapons. What's the skinny on what is best? Or is something even better. I recently switched my beams and turrets to plasma (still have quantum torps for the moment) and added two plasma boosting tac consoles. This increased my dps by about 20K. But I'm wondering if I should swithc the torps, too. (I know, I know... rainbow boats, blah blah blah), But if Plasma is as great as I thought it was I don't want to switch them.
I fly a B'rel Retrofit torpedo boat.

On my fore, I use Quantum, Bio-Neural Warhead, Breen Cluster, and Hargh'Peng. On my aft, I use Chroniton and Plasma.

I prefer the Hargh'Peng over the Plasma, as the Hargh'Peng fires faster, does more impact damage (I think?), more radiation damage (I think?), and has a secondary explosion.

Otherwise, I use the Quantum with HY3 for shield penetration.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 960
# 10
11-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirscht View Post
Thanks, that was really helpful. Should I apply that thinking to my turrets and beams as well or is all that fairly specific to torps?
Well, there's no such thing as a Quantum Turret or quantum Beam, so not on that front, but the thinking is solid for Plasma Weapons in general. With Plasma Energy weapons you can gain extra damage because Plasma Fire stacks, and with fast-firing weapons like turrets and cannons you're guaranteed to proc quite a few times.

That said, you may gain more in the long run from the procs that other energy types bring in, like Polaron power drain, Disruptor resistance debuff, Tetryon shield stripping, Phaser subsystem disable (more useful in PVP), or even just the raw damage bonus from Antiprotons and their natural Crit Severity boost (very useful for Dual-Heavy-Cannon Escorts).

From what I've seen the new Romulan rep weapons look to be bringing Plasma back into the running as a viable damage alternative (esp. for low-crit classes like cruisers), but vanilla Plasma weapons, not so much.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 PM.