Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
11-25-2012, 06:38 PM
  1. I actively seek out to exploit powers when I know that they are currently deemed as broken, and go to great lengths to justify them as ok, both to myself and others.
    No, I dropped scramble and anything else I hear is broken

2. I use console powers not necessarily because of their damage potential which I know is not great, but the unintended side effects of lag they do cause to another player.
    I use Subspace-Jump Fed side and Plasmonic (since it got nerfed) on the Red side.
  3. "I" must survive.
  4. I would rather save that HE for myself that extend it to a team mate.

I almost always play healer/support. So its a judgement call if me staying alive is more important. Theres some people who arent worth healing as in, their setup is too squishy and they still die. And some cases where you give everything you can to keep someone alive. Especially in PUGs, the other team wont switch targets fast enough, so you can stack buffs on one or two targets.

5. I spawn camp before moving away, not allowing the other side to advance.
    Ill move
  6. When someone brutally kills me, I insult them via PM or zone chat, instead of PM them afterwards to congratulate them.
    I wont insult them, but Ill declare their victory on all the broken stuff they are using.
  7. I find it easier to blame the devs for the system, but am still quite "innocent", happily running three SNB (take your pick) doffs.
    I blame the devs. I think my worst sin is Plasmonic.
Captain
# 12
11-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Sometimes, I won't heal people unless no one else needs it.

If you manage to die after I give you an AP: Delta + Fermion Field + TSS 3 + SciTeam 3 + HE 2 + Aux to SIF 1 + SciFleet because you refuse to balance your shields... you're going to die no matter what I do. I'd rather heal someone that has a chance of doing something. You're probably helping our team more by waiting out the respawn timer and attempting to rejoin the fight than sitting there soaking up heals and buffs.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Captain
# 13
11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
We all know what this is about, right?

So, ask yourself this simple scorecard and rate your honest commitment on a virtual scale of your commitment to the longevity of PvP.

1. I actively seek out to exploit powers when I know that they are currently deemed as broken, and go to great lengths to justify them as ok, both to myself and others.

2. I use console powers not necessarily because of their damage potential which I know is not great, but the unintended side effects of lag they do cause to another player.

3. "I" must survive.

4. I would rather save that HE for myself that extend it to a team mate.

5. I spawn camp before moving away, not allowing the other side to advance.

6. When someone brutally kills me, I insult them via PM or zone chat, instead of PM them afterwards to congratulate them.

7. I find it easier to blame the devs for the system, but am still quite "innocent", happily running three SNB (take your pick) doffs.

Scary looking in the mirror? I know I was.
1-i dont activly seek out exploits, i'm generally using the same setup since launch of the game. flavored with some consoles from ships. my favorite console by far is still the tachyon detection grid (dispite how useless it is)

2- again, the console tactyon detection grid. i alwasy get a chuckle when i lag my own team mates with it

3-of course "I" must survive, without me the team is down a man and i cant expect them to keep me alive without my attempting to do so.

4- that depends on how often i've seen them heal themselves. i usually carry enough heals to get me by (with my current build).

5- "spawn camping" is a relative term. it depends on if they've even moved by the time i get there. its just as easy to move away from the spawn as it is to move to the spawn.

6-i usually get ignored after recieving a nasty insult... so i never get a chance to insult them or congradulate them either way.

7-i blame the devs for the state of the game, and even if all the things i use were to be heavy nerfed (grav pulse comes to mind) i'd still use it because its a part of the build im currently using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Lieutenant
# 14
11-25-2012, 08:13 PM
1, na. I even repeced for the sole purpose of maximizing ss, then to find out I used my last respec for something that was broken. Lame-o-

2, na, I surprise myself by running clean. unless you count skull fighters on my recluse

3, well, its always nice.

4, when I drop extend and transfer plus hull heals and that BoP hits battle cloak, yeah Ill save stuff.

5, yeah sometimes, if they aren't smart enough to move away at the start, then they never had a chance

6, na, I trash talk in kerrart, best part of being there. Not so much in arenas.

7, well they tend to fix things that didn't need it, or break things for no apparent reason. And I dont even know what these ss doffs are called. I also am not a huge fan of VM + doffs, so I dont run that either.

I guess culprit in a few areas, I suck though, dont hate
Koopa27 -X-treme
Captain
# 15
11-25-2012, 08:30 PM
I actively seek out to exploit powers when I know that they are currently deemed as broken, and go to great lengths to justify them as ok, both to myself and others.
Nope, I try not to do this, unless they're being used on me.

I use console powers not necessarily because of their damage potential which I know is not great, but the unintended side effects of lag they do cause to another player.
Nope, not this. If I did, they would probably cause more lag to me than to others.

"I" must survive.
Of course I'll try to keep myself alive, don't want to give the opposing team another kill. Or am I missing the point here?

I would rather save that HE for myself that extend it to a team mate.
Here it depends. I default to using it on others, but if 3-quarters of the match goes on with my HE not helping or not getting a single thing in return, well, chances are reduced. Tit for tat.

I spawn camp before moving away, not allowing the other side to advance.
Here, I'll try and wait for a decent amount of time at the centre of the map. If I proceed to sensor range of your spawn and see people AFK or having the full team there and making no effort to move, I am going to move in.

When someone brutally kills me, I insult them via PM or zone chat, instead of PM them afterwards to congratulate them.
I usually just stay quiet, but sometimes I speak up in zone chat to compliment them.

I find it easier to blame the devs for the system, but am still quite "innocent", happily running three SNB (take your pick) doffs.
I am going to criticize the devs for some shortcomings in the system, but I'm not going to run stuff I see/the community sees as broken.
Captain
# 16
11-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
I actively seek out to exploit powers when I know that they are currently deemed as broken, and go to great lengths to justify them as ok, both to myself and others.
Nope.

Quote:
I use console powers not necessarily because of their damage potential which I know is not great, but the unintended side effects of lag they do cause to another player.
Nope (and I still hate how Temp stuff others use causes me to desync).

Quote:
"I" must survive.
Lol...me survive? Er, but nope.

Quote:
I would rather save that HE for myself that extend it to a team mate.
Are they distributing? If not, it would be a waste.
Are they rock 'n rolling on DPS or heals? I'll throw them everything I got before I go boom.

Quote:
I spawn camp before moving away, not allowing the other side to advance.
Generally speaking, nope. In Ker'rat, if I'm fired on while trying to leave the KDF spawn on a Fed after a broken restart - I will return fire. It's not a case of sticking around though - either they die and I go about my business or I die and I go about my business.

Quote:
When someone brutally kills me, I insult them via PM or zone chat, instead of PM them afterwards to congratulate them.
I rarely congratulate anybody. GG's are extremely rare. I never PM (and they can't PM, I run hard anon through the privacy settings). I only complain if somebody brags after using a truckload of cheese. I have apologized to the other team when they've had AFKers.

Quote:
I find it easier to blame the devs for the system, but am still quite "innocent", happily running three SNB (take your pick) doffs.
I blame the devs. It's hard not to blame the devs. I don't run XYZ though. So I'm entirely fine with blaming the devs.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Empire Veteran
# 17
11-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Quote:
[*] I actively seek out to exploit powers when I know that they are currently deemed as broken, and go to great lengths to justify them as ok, both to myself and others.
[*] I use console powers not necessarily because of their damage potential which I know is not great, but the unintended side effects of lag they do cause to another player.
[*] "I" must survive.
[*] I would rather save that HE for myself that extend it to a team mate.
[*] I spawn camp before moving away, not allowing the other side to advance.
[*] When someone brutally kills me, I insult them via PM or zone chat, instead of PM them afterwards to congratulate them.
[*]I find it easier to blame the devs for the system, but am still quite "innocent", happily running three SNB (take your pick) doffs.
These are all mostly from the perspective of my B'rel.

1. Well, actively? I dunno, I try not to. I use SS 1 on my B'rel, not for the confusion or anything else, but to hide mines and torpedoes when I fire them off. But not to purposefully exploit it. Heck, if someone asked me to take it off because of a potential bug/exploit, I would, as long as it was for a reason, and not just whining.

2. No, I own few to none of those consoles which could cause that problem, and again, would not use it purposefully to lag someone out. I only use an Impulse Burst on my B'rel to run like mad when I get de-cloaked.

3. Yes, but I will do so in my own way, by staying cloaked.

4. I usually do Ker'rat or pug queues, but if I am in range and someone is taking heavy fire, I will heal if I can spare it.

5. If you mean killing people after a restart in Ker'rat, then yes. If not, no. To me, there's no fun at all in spawn camping. I will kill AFKers for easy kills though, especially to finish a match and move on for all parties.

6. If I got de-cloaked and killed, I got caught, so I accept that. I don't keep Zone chat on, ever, anywhere.

7. It is easy to blame the devs for anything, I'm guilty of that quite often. I run no SNB DOFFs, can't use em on a torp boat, wouldn't even if I did have them. I may defend tric mines rather often, but I do understand how they can be extremely frustrating to any one getting killed by em, to the point that if they took a nerf hit, I may not like it, but I could understand it.

Captain
Thanks guys, really!

I am glad to see that the common impression is that most of the die-hard PvPers out there, are out to have a great time!

I created this post not to accuse or blame, but rather to just make people think about their game style. I for one have dropped using powers that reduce other players enjoyment of PvP, because I realize that my own enjoyment has a symbiotic affect on theirs, and vice versa.

Captains, we are all sailing on the sea of our own fortune, but find ourselves on the same deck so to speak.

All I want to highlight is that when you are playing, consider how your game play might contribute to the ultimate victory that is there to be had.

This is a call to arms. A revival of PvP - as we once remembered it.
Rihannsu
# 19
11-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Quote:
  1. I spawn camp before moving away, not allowing the other side to advance.
If it's Ker'rat.. And there's some particularly "mouthy" feds/KDF....What's good for the goose is good for the gander, since if I'm on my KDF toon, I fully expect to be Spawn Camped 89% of the time I'm there. And no, I don't feel bad for that. Nor do I expect people to do the same either.

How ever, considering the state of the current game play, my desire to even fly to Ker'rat has dropped considerably. I haven't even logged on my precious KDF toons since Season 7.. Figured Once I reach Tier 5 and have all the stuff I want on one toon, I'll move to a KDF toon. But that's a Topic for another discussion, so sorry ahead of time.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Commander
# 20
11-26-2012, 01:39 AM
1. I did use BFI doffs before they were nerfed, I once reccomended power siphons to someone when I was still a noob otherwise No

2. No

3. Yes

4. I am not good at sharing my heals but do have two hazard emitters on a few of my builds that I give out sometimes (don't having healing builds yet).

5. Try not to but may do so on occasions when not thinking

6. Quite the opposite

7. This is somewhat like point 1, I don't blame devs just they focused on non PvP aspects of the game ealier on.

Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honour Guard
Closed Thread