Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 121
11-20-2012, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
Must have something to do with not having so many ships you can get confused as to what works on what.
XD XD XD

Never thought of it that way, and got a great laugh out of it. GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL!
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 201
# 122
11-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
XD XD XD

Never thought of it that way, and got a great laugh out of it. GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL!
Lol yeah.. its funny.. but oddlly if you think about it, hes actually right.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,395
# 123
11-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldicephoenix View Post
Lol yeah.. its funny.. but oddlly if you think about it, hes actually right.
Just applying a bit of observation, in this case, observing a phenomena known as "Skill Dilution".

People who like the Bird of Prey series, REALLY like it, and as flexible as the platform is, you learn very quickly what NOT to do on one long before you finish driving your issued Norgh. The follow-up chassis (Ki'tang and Hegh'ta) while tougher, and slightly more versatile, generally follow the same patterns and 'best practices'-you can go back after L50 and hop in your issued Norgh after flying a Hegh'ta, and the layouts you're using will be familiar and similar, if less powerful.

(I observed this as I was preparing to buy my Fleet Norgh-running Ker'rat in the issued ship with console, engine, and weps upgrades to test intended installations when I would acquire said fleet version).

Performance wasn't that far off.

now, I have looked at my fedside alts and found...

this does not follow the same pattern-the performance differences between the low-tier Fedscort and the Advanced are a lot wider, layouts are significantly different, and results aren't as "evolutionary".

a look at the Cmdr Level K'tinga and the issue Vor'cha shows that again, the similarities outweigh the differences and improvements.

even moreso, if you opened a Lockbox and got the Mirror Vor'cha.


I haven't looked at the Z-store gornships, but...I have this suspicion that they are our outliers, along with the Orion cruisers-but you hardly SEE Orion Cruisers or Gorn sci/support ships-most of the time their goodies get stripped by users and the chassis is either put in storage, or discarded.

Contrast that with Fed ships-there is such a variety of Fed ships, that it's easily concieveable that a single Fed character will have driven escort, cruiser variants, and science ships in no particular order as they levelled up.

I think it is fair to also note that the lack of PvE for KDF is also a significant factor-if you don't want to run rehashed FEd material, you're left with Pi Canis for goodies, Federation minefield, and Ker'rat. This tends to ptu an emphasis on your piloting skills (esp. Ker'rat, which is largely PvP and the Dil. missions work easier here than trying to que for it). So not only do you have a very, VERY "regular" progression of ship design, but you're also pressed by circumstances into highly combative, manuevering, learn-your-buffs and boffs style of play early on.

Feds really don't have anything comparable.

Last edited by patrickngo; 11-20-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 101
# 124
11-27-2012, 07:21 AM
In all games, good players and teamwork are decidedly OP.

It would be interesting if STO had some sort of metric that tallied all the PvP kills/deaths and team relevant PvE (fleet alerts, STF) success/fail/quit across both factions and used actual gameplay results to determine ongoing storyline content in terms of which faction is rising to dominance or some sort of dynamic representation of the balance of power between the factions.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 471
# 125
11-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymonkley View Post
In all games, good players and teamwork are decidedly OP.

It would be interesting if STO had some sort of metric that tallied all the PvP kills/deaths and team relevant PvE (fleet alerts, STF) success/fail/quit across both factions and used actual gameplay results to determine ongoing storyline content in terms of which faction is rising to dominance or some sort of dynamic representation of the balance of power between the factions.
Oooo that would be awesome, but it would be a distraction from building a variation of the Asian F2P model that works for PvE only.
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,755
# 126
11-27-2012, 10:31 AM
If you want to oneshot a Klingon Bird of Prey, wait for their Attack Pattern Omega and Tactical Team to wear off, then use an escort with 2x Dual Heavy Cannons, 1x Dual Beam Bank, and 1x Quantum Torpedo (or tricobalt for good measure) and 3x turrets in aft. Now, find your Klingon Bird of Prey victim and hit buffs in the following order. Attack Pattern Alpha III, Attack Pattern Omega III, Tactical Fleet II, Go Down Fighting III, Beam Overload III, Torpedo High Yield III, Tactical Team I. Then cut engine power to half, use subspace jumper (console), gravitic anchor (omega force 3pc bonus) (-50 defense rating), tractor beam I (removes current defense bonuses), and fire. Assuming you do it fast enough that they don't have time to pop a heal like reverse shield polarity, you will see that Klingon ships are not overpowered as the Bird of Prey Explodes in one volley. The only thing overpowered about the KFD is that energy drain carrier that drops all power levels to 0-15.

Note: Ensure that Beam Overload fires BEFORE Torpedo High Yield, or the torpedoes will do little damage.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,166
# 127
11-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orelbitin View Post
you might think from the tittle im just another person who pissed at the klingons for killing him so much well its true but the tittle its telling the truth

first off i know klingons are over powered because when i started playing as a Klingon and got to level 30 with only 3 weapons in the front of my bird of prey i could insta kill escorts , i could kill cruisers in a few seconds and by my standards that too much power.trust me i know thats too much because my fed player has a fleet tactical escort retrofit with 4 weapons in the front 5 tact slots and i cant kill any klingon bird of pray with one shoot and trust me iv tried many different weapon combinations .

i rest my case, now its all up to judge Judy.
lol jk
leave your opinion.
lol... I one shot Player and NPC BoP's all the time with my Odyssey's Anti-Proton DBB's in Overload. So... yeah... The de-cloaking bonus is great and a properly setup B'rel is an amazing thing but it is not OP for its DPS.

What I have found is that around 90% of folks have absolutely NO idea how to set up a proper ship and of the 10% who DO know around 8~9% of those have trouble flying that ship to its full potential. So ANY ship that you end up setting up very well that you are good at flying is going to seem immediately OP compared to around 98~99% of people you fight with it.

I think one of the big problems tends to be the "Oh it is a shiny new ship! I must have it!" mind-set without the knowledge of what flying this new ship entails.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,373
# 128
11-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
If you want to oneshot a Klingon Bird of Prey, wait for their Attack Pattern Omega and Tactical Team to wear off, then use an escort with 2x Dual Heavy Cannons, 1x Dual Beam Bank, and 1x Quantum Torpedo (or tricobalt for good measure) and 3x turrets in aft. Now, find your Klingon Bird of Prey victim and hit buffs in the following order. Attack Pattern Alpha III, Attack Pattern Omega III, Tactical Fleet II, Go Down Fighting III, Beam Overload III, Torpedo High Yield III, Tactical Team I. Then cut engine power to half, use subspace jumper (console), gravitic anchor (omega force 3pc bonus) (-50 defense rating), tractor beam I (removes current defense bonuses), and fire. Assuming you do it fast enough that they don't have time to pop a heal like reverse shield polarity, you will see that Klingon ships are not overpowered as the Bird of Prey Explodes in one volley. The only thing overpowered about the KFD is that energy drain carrier that drops all power levels to 0-15.

Note: Ensure that Beam Overload fires BEFORE Torpedo High Yield, or the torpedoes will do little damage.
While I too use GDF as part of prepping a Burst attack it may not be that helpful as at 100% hull it only gives about 1-2% buff to damage, maybe.

It may be better to save GDF for when you have lost some health and have no ready buffs to damage.
Or as some have learned don't heal hull if you don't need to and Burst with GDF then. I've seen some BoPs take a hit to less than 50% hull , save it that way with no heals (before it does it on its own) and then burst for devastating results.
STO is very much an Adam One culture and completely inarticulate about Adam Two.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 725
# 129
11-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Sorry, I don't buy the OP's argument at all. In the absence of special consoles or abilities, Fed ship using same weapons with same power bonuses will do the same exact damage as a KDF ship. Math always has the final say.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,755
# 130
11-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
While I too use GDF as part of prepping a Burst attack it may not be that helpful as at 100% hull it only gives about 1-2% buff to damage, maybe.

It may be better to save GDF for when you have lost some health and have no ready buffs to damage.
Or as some have learned don't heal hull if you don't need to and Burst with GDF then. I've seen some BoPs take a hit to less than 50% hull , save it that way with no heals (before it does it on its own) and then burst for devastating results.
Thanks for the tip about Go Down Fighting.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52 PM.