Captain
# 21
11-28-2012, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post

hey could you post your build including doffs and boff layout for this would be very interested to see it thanks
Lieutenant
# 22
11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Vo'quv... okay.

First thing first: i spend considerable time in this ship, alas as a Tac and not an Eng, so you have to take this with a grain of salt. You got to do the finetuning yourself - comes by experimentation whilst playing and paying attention to whats most effective.

That being said i can give you a general direction.

Lets look at what type of ship we are talking here:

1) massive crew and hull
2) maneuverability is the worst you can get, period
3) you can lauch BoP pets, no other ship can do that (four)
4) no cloak

As for the armament of the carrier itself i really suggest going beam array. Turning takes way too long, even if you should slow or immobilize your opponent. RCS accelerators decreas in efficiency with size, so thats also pretty much the worst idea. Accept it. Thats not what the ship does well, even if it can mount cannons. Despite all its sluggishness its no problem broadsiding opponents, so thats pretty much only one option. Thats also applicable to torpedos. They don't work well with this ship - wich doesn't mean your opponent won't be hit by torpedos - actually more so than facing any other ship, we get to that point.

Now the question arises what kind of beam. Antiproton? Well, think about it. A considerable amount of damage will be dealt by pets and the pets will fire torps - lots of torps. That would be B'Rotlh Birds-of-Prey with "Torpedo Heavy Yield II" on quantuum torpedoes x4. That hurts - if the shield is down. If the shields are up torpedoes are not so effective. If you want to gt shiels down quickly nothing beats PHASED tetryon beam arrays (can also shut down systems, maybe the shield system if you are lucky, but everything else is also good). Target subsystems: shields is also a good idea plus it comes as a free special ability built into the carrier. Tetryon Pulse Generators as tac consoles are a nobrainer with this variant.

There is another aspect to BoPs... and thats that they ar the only pet wich can cloak. The Vo'Quv has no cloack but there is a solution, and that is... "Mask Energy Signature". The idea is to stay just at attack range with cloaked BoPs in to launch a devastating surprise attack and join after your prey starts focusing on your pets from maxrange, trying to strip its shields. Now that is no cloak... if you get too close you will be detected. Find that distance and remember it. It gets the job done. Technically you don't even need to reveal yourself whilst attacking with pets only. So i belive that settles the pet choice as well.

One thing you got to remember is that, even tho the Vo'Quv has mathematically a pretty thick hull and lots of crew to repair it fast, hull is a very weak defence in this game. It melts like snow in the morning sun, no matter what kind of armor you put on it. So thats a weak line of defence. Build on shields. Learn to harden shields. Keep a few aces up your sleeve. "Emergency Power to Shields" is a must, "Reverse Shield Polarity" is also nice to have. Then you need a really powerful shield. The Honor Guard Shield Array is perfect because, even if not part of a full set it brings the passive, always active "Subvert Targeting Array" to the table, wich means aside of being a really strong shield it also makes your enemys miss shots, wich is perfect. To further augment this i recommend to fit as much "Field Generator" consoles as possible. This will make it pretty difficult to take you down, if the power settings are done properly. You also should get 1-2 Hull repair abilities despite the massive crew - if only for fixing disabled systems (like your shield) in emergency. I'd also throw in a polarize Hull because people tent fire gravity wells on large, sluggish carriers - the ability negates any damage from that.

Then... for obvious reasons a tractor beam should be part of your setup. stops people from running and makes broadsiding agile ships way easier. Tractor beam repulsors are great, too, because they work in all directions. I dont need to mention overload and fire at will, right? Beamship. Don't forget your EPS Flow Regulator.

Duty officers... well, if your BoPs die - and they will, launch cooldown makes one hell of a difference. Get three DOs wich reduce hangar bay cooldown, flight deck officers if i remember correctly. The other two slots should be highest quality Shield Distribution Officers, wich have a chance to regen your shield big time if hit when brace for impact is up - wich it should be at any time possible if fired upon. Yes, they are that good. You might even consider going for three of them and one flight deck officer less - then again that defence is already formidable in any cast.

Oh and get a fast engine. Like... really fast. Maybe you can't outturn an opponent, but nobody said anything about outrunning and going signal reduction, kay?

And the rest is finetuning i'd say.

Last edited by discloned; 11-28-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Captain
# 23
11-28-2012, 05:38 PM
That is not bad as well.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Captain
# 24
11-28-2012, 10:30 PM
In realistic terms, crew size has nothing to do with survivability. This is because there are several mechanics that reduce your crew by a percentage, but your crew only recovers at a fixed rate regardless of crew size. You can lose hundreds of people to a torpedo even if your shields are up, and they only walk it off at a rate of 1 per second (10 per second if not in red alert). Which means that a high-crew ship like the Vo'quv has to wait realtime minutes for its crew to fully recover after leaving combat.

If you have a big ship and see more than half your crew alive after thirty seconds in combat, then you are clearly a wizard.
Captain
# 25 Ya greed
11-29-2012, 09:19 AM
I've tried everything I can on every ship i own and on very faction I play and as soon as battle against the Borg starts they assimilate all my crew pretty much instantly resistance is futile and all that.

Then because of such a massive crew and my limited playing time every stf I play from the first one I have like 500 Crew unless I sit in system space for half an eternity whilst it builds itself up.
Career Officer
# 26
11-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafatennick View Post
I've tried everything I can on every ship i own and on very faction I play and as soon as battle against the Borg starts they assimilate all my crew pretty much instantly resistance is futile and all that.

Then because of such a massive crew and my limited playing time every stf I play from the first one I have like 500 Crew unless I sit in system space for half an eternity whilst it builds itself up.

This talk of assimilated crew, and dying crew, and walking things off fascinates me. I will now be forced to look into this! Sending for McCoy now!!!

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor! Not a ...um...yah im a doctor. To work I go!

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
Website that's always under construction
And...FACEBOOK MEH!
Lieutenant
# 27
11-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Well you can run emergency forcefields, wich i did for a while after giving up on armor - wich makes life a bit easier, but all in all i felt the slots could be put to better use by improving on shield directly.

Thing is if you rely more on shields crew is pretty much only important if faced with boarding parties and such... wich you can blow out of the sky easily running all beam arrays (fire at will).

That being said field emitters are also worth a look because they add to the power rating of the shield, making it more resilient.

In the end i decided to do that with abilities and power settings and simply go for shield points. Seemed the best option to me (field generators).

You need the repair abilities because of the hull hitpoints and the death rate to restore your ship quickly (then again, as being said i play a Tac not an Eng).

Mask energy signature helps of course too, if you want to restore your crew to full without being fired upon. You can still comandeer your BoP pets whilst doing that, but it doesn't work out of combat directly - its not an improved battle cloak.

Another nice idea is running a full borg set. The shield and engine may be lackluster in performance but the hull and shield regen are quite good. In the end i wanted a more powrful engine however, thats why i settled with honor guard shield and the fastest engine i could get my hands on plus a sensor array with a good shield synergy.

I belive Aegis set makes hull tanking viable but got never around to aquire one and test it.

Last edited by discloned; 11-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Career Officer
# 28
11-29-2012, 03:05 PM
OOOOOMG. OK I tried 2 force fields mk xii rare and 2 of the biofunction monitor things. Lost crew. More slowly but you could see it was gonna bottom out. Soooo I added.....

A blue medic doff let me keep it floating somewhere around half full. This was running 2 tac teams to keep the assimilated nonsense to a minimum.

Wow that's just AWFUL.

I on the other hand I never really got beat up to badly either. Passive hull repair plus rotating my thru my hazards etc kept me right up there.

Cheers happy flying!

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
Website that's always under construction
And...FACEBOOK MEH!
Lieutenant
# 29
11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
*nods* i agree, its just not worth it going for crew