Captain
# 11
11-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Seriously.
Um , what ?
I never had to "RE"download anything except for the new patches as they are released.
And one decent sized , patch when first running tribble.
But I didn't have to download the whole game.
Far from it.
You are spreading untruths.
Check your facts.
From the (STO) Test Server FAQ:
Quote:
The first time I patch Tribble/Redshirt, the launcher tells me I have to download another 10 gigabytes of data! Can't I just copy over my LIVE directory to the Tribble/Redshirt directory?

It's true that you will be adding 10 GBs to your hard-drive to test on the Test Servers. When you patch to Tribble/Redshirt, let the launcher do its thing, it's the fastest and least problematic approach.
You saying Cryptic is lying to me ? That's 52 hours to download @ my DSL speed.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?

Last edited by lordmalak1; 11-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Career Officer
# 12
11-27-2012, 08:21 AM
I was out of town for it this time, I've never missed a test weekend till now.

..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino
Captain
# 13
11-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I would go on tribble and test IF I could avoid having to endure another COMPLETE download of the entire game.
It doesn't take that long to download the game as it just copies files from the Holodeck server, only the patches take a while, but usually no more than 2 hours or so
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Career Officer
# 14
11-27-2012, 08:35 AM
First off...,
I did not get in any way, after reading Dans' comments, that there was any "veiled accusation" that it's our fault for the low numbers of testers on Tribble...

He admitted that Their data was not as complete as it could have been, and that They made decisions based on what turned out to be, more skewed data than They anticipated.

What I did get, was that after the uproar in the forums and the actual data from the first few days on Holodeck, They realized that They had miscalculated badly and He decided to make adjustments to try and calm the masses.

I understand that some of what He posted/Blogged after Season 7 hit, bordered on hyperbole, but in this particular instance, I believe that you are trying to create strife were none exists.

Secondly...,
I like playing on Tribble occasionally and don't feel a need to be paid for doing it. Though, In my opinion, we are kinda-sorta compensated in the fact that by doing so, we get a free preview of things heading for Holodeck.
Also, on special occasions, we do get a small token reward of some kind.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 11-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Career Officer
# 15
11-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:

Sorry that 10 Gigs takes you 52 hours.
That flat out sucks, for you.

As I said, when I first installed tribble, yeah, there was decent download, but it didn't take 52 hours. It was the kind of set it running, go make dinner, hang with the household all night, and when I checked back, it was done.

And, NO, I am not saying Cryptic is lying to you. Having never experienced anything remotely annoying while getting tribble installed, I was unaware of the trials and tribble-ations of those with (I have no idea how) a worse system than I run.
Career Officer
# 16
11-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Actually, the patcher is pretty smart about downloading just what you need - initially it'll copy all the Holodeck stuff to a Test Server folder and then will only download the changes - prior to Season 7 that was a big download (2.2 gigs I think?) due to all the new art assets for New Romulus - since you've got all that now, the actual download should be considerably smaller.

And regarding the OP's question - I don't need to be paid to spend time on Tribble but I'm not going to waste my time on there if the community's feedback is ignored - which is exactly what happened with Season 7 - the reputation system, Dilithium and the changes to Doffing were all flagged as big issues with the testers but Cryptic completely ignored the feedback and pushed it live anyway.

So really, what was the point?
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Republic Veteran
# 17
11-28-2012, 05:52 AM
my rate: 90EUR/hour - max. 6 hours a day, paid in advance.

...then I would go and test.
Career Officer
# 18
11-28-2012, 05:56 AM
So I DO test on tribble... Only during seasons, true, but I test...

For me, the problem is, that I see no real idea in going testing on tribble... I mean, why test, when you plan to release the bugs reported anyways? And that IS what they do.

They might as well release the season when they have the "Test weekend", and then do fixing afterwards, cause there is little to no diffrence between test weekend start, and season launch date.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 19
11-28-2012, 06:05 AM
I don't see any reason to test and goodies aren't going to change that. Cryptic no longer uses Tribble as a test server, it's only there to advertise the upcoming content. No use providing feedback on it when they'll only listen after it's gone live and your concerns are joined by a chorus of live players.
Joined August 2008
Rihannsu
# 20
11-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Quote:

No they are not lying. The word is 'adding' not 'downloading'.

when you patch tribble it copies over holodeck, then applies any new patches.

right now tribble is 99.9% the same as holodeck. if you open tribble, it will copy over the folder and then apply the latest patch (which you are going to have to download in a couple of days).

the only problem is is you dont have the space for another 10gigs. the copy process should take 10-20 minutes, perhaps longer depending on how fast your computers can copy files over.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission