Captain
# 21
11-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
No they are not lying. The word is 'adding' not 'downloading'.

when you patch tribble it copies over holodeck, then applies any new patches.

right now tribble is 99.9% the same as holodeck. if you open tribble, it will copy over the folder and then apply the latest patch (which you are going to have to download in a couple of days).

the only problem is is you dont have the space for another 10gigs. the copy process should take 10-20 minutes, perhaps longer depending on how fast your computers can copy files over.
I had hoped that was the case, but after reading the FAQ's and it said another 10 gig download I decided it wasn't worth my time or effort to setup to be one of cryptics bugged content guinea pigs.

You promise it won't hose my holodeck install ?
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 22
11-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I had hoped that was the case, but after reading the FAQ's and it said another 10 gig download I decided it wasn't worth my time or effort to setup to be one of cryptics bugged content guinea pigs.

They're separate clients. If you're Holodeck get's boned, then you did something wrong.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 23
11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Sorry, I've already got a full-time job. I guess if some people want to help test, that's fine, but it really rubs me the wrong way that a company relies on people who are paying to use their product to do the bug testing.

I'd get fired if I did that to my clients.

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 24
11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:

People have been running both tribble and holodeck almost since launch... If there were cross server issues, it would be common knowlege.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 25
11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
They're separate clients. If you're Holodeck get's boned, then you did something wrong.

That's encouraging.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 26
11-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
People have been running both tribble and holodeck almost since launch... If there were cross server issues, it would be common knowlege.
Having a public test server is common practice in MMOs. This isn't like baking a cake where you have a single recipe that for all intensive purposes gives you exactly what you want. You follow a chocolate cake recipe you don't except a strawberry shortcake, so all you are doing is making sure send chocolate cake is edible.

With games like this, different people have different playing styles. For every 100 people you could potentially have a hundred ways of playing the same content. Multiple that by the thousands and there is no way a single company can cover all the bases to make sure something isn't horribly wrong.

So you open it up to the public, who will be playing it however they play it, and hopefully you catch something you didn't think of or might have missed.

Another thing is developers know what to do. Since they designed the mission they know what step to do to get from point M to point N.

But get that to the public, who wasn't in on the design, and even the most experienced player might not have a clue what to do.

These are all legitimate reasons to have a public test server.
Career Officer
# 27
11-28-2012, 09:36 AM
It carries the stigma of being useless to test to the majority of players from my view. We send in tickets about bugs and some nearing game breaking. What happens, regardless of how broken the new patch is, things get pushed to holodeck. I find my time personally wasted testing out new things only to get my bug reports ignored.

What do we get? Time vs Reward..

This game is consumes our free time, most players prefer to get something out of work. I don't intend on spending hours on tribble only to have nothing to show for the time. We don't get paid to test, that's what we pay them for right? I buy Zen all the time, we all fund them....

I didn't read the "accusation" the OP said Dan made, but seriously, is that our job?

I paid for my CE at launch, I paid for my LTS at launch, I paid for my thousands of CP/Zen.....

I pay with my free time to play when I can.....

A player shouldn't be required to test the game we pay for.....

Incentives to test things would garner it attention, this is why Tribble Test Weekends are popular.

If there was some way rewards would trickle to holodeck, I'd test more often. The question remains, even if things were offered for testing on tribble. Would my bug reports make a difference?
I'll stop kicking that horse when the bugs fixed. Until then as a paying consumer, I will voice my opinion.
Lieutenant
# 28
11-28-2012, 09:42 AM
I'd happily play Tribble 12 hours a day... 5-7 days a week for $12 per hour and $100 per verified bug reported.

Last edited by jengaman; 11-28-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Captain
# 29
11-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:

That's encouraging.
Honestly the only thing I could really see going wrong is you installing tribble over holodeck. I have heard people complaining about that. But really, I don't most people have a problem with that.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
If I had the time I would use tribble more but I am kind of busy grinding extra dilithium....