Lt. Commander
# 1 I messed up royally
11-28-2012, 08:26 AM
I was trying to improve my attacks during PVE because all I was doing was pew pew pew and I wanted raining death so I bought some other weapons, selling my tetyron canons and quantum torpedoes for other things I thought would be more powerful like phasers and poloron or plasma.

I can't even hold my own in a Deep Space Encounter against the Romulans anymore and I'm out of energy credits.

I'm still in my Star Cruiser trying to earn fleet marks and work my way up fleet rants to buy something else - something with 4 weapon slots fore and aft.

Just wish I knew what weapons to use.

Tetryon seems to work really well but the silly spaying it does diminishes the effectiveness of it. Don't know if I should go beam or keep the cannons but get rid of the scatter volley.

I love the torpedo spread skill. I wish I knew how to train my officers a bit better so they can get torpedo spread II or III. Seems like all my choices of skills are red officers.
Captain
# 2
11-28-2012, 08:47 AM
STOWiki FAQ

Question 17 is a starting point. After that, I strongly recommend taking some down time to research what Wiki provides.

Humbly speaking, one weapon will never be a one-size-fits-all.

Maybe messed up is a half-empty way to look at it. More like ... learned some lessons
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Commander
# 3
11-28-2012, 08:59 AM
i messed up like you did, but the problem is not the weapons. the real mess up is the ship.

i got the star cruiser because i liked the way it looked. the ship is a dud. i even upgraded to the fleet version and still no help.

i tried every set, weapon type, console layout, etc. and the star cruiser was always my weakest ship.

i fixed the problem though. i went in and stripped the ship and discharged it. problem solved.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Here's something else; why is it that when I train an officer in something, he or she can't use it? I go to the stations tab and she's only got two of the four things available.

I managed to get dual tetryon banks fore and beam arrays aft along with quantum torpedoes two fore and two aft.
Captain
# 5
11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by princedimwit View Post
I was trying to improve my attacks during PVE because all I was doing was pew pew pew and I wanted raining death so I bought some other weapons, selling my tetyron canons and quantum torpedoes for other things I thought would be more powerful like phasers and poloron or plasma.

I can't even hold my own in a Deep Space Encounter against the Romulans anymore and I'm out of energy credits.

I'm still in my Star Cruiser trying to earn fleet marks and work my way up fleet rants to buy something else - something with 4 weapon slots fore and aft.

Just wish I knew what weapons to use.

Tetryon seems to work really well but the silly spaying it does diminishes the effectiveness of it. Don't know if I should go beam or keep the cannons but get rid of the scatter volley.

I love the torpedo spread skill. I wish I knew how to train my officers a bit better so they can get torpedo spread II or III. Seems like all my choices of skills are red officers.
If you think about it, the biggest difference between the Assault Cruiser and the Star Cruiser is an Ensign Boff placement (tactical/science respectively) and console placement. Star Cruisers are more or less designed to have the Lt. science ability to be an offensive one to make up in the damage dept. The Star Cruiser isn't a DPS machine, but it can be made respectable, you have to be agreeable with its positives though.

Also, what is your ships set up? Without seeing that, no one can really critique.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Here's something else; why is it that when I train an officer in something, he or she can't use it? I go to the stations tab and she's only got two of the four things available.

That's because you must Train and Promote Bridge Officers before they can use higher level skills. Click the arrows on the Boff's Skills tab below the relevant skill until the bar is full. Then under the Character's status tab, click the Manage button and select Promote.

Repeat this until the Boff is a Commander with all skills maxed out.
Lt. Commander
Captain
# 9
11-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
In that case, you're probably looking at skills that your ship doesn't support. A Cruiser can't use Commander-level Tactical or Science Boff skills, and only a few specific cruisers can use Lieutenant Commander level ones (Cruisers use mostly Engineer skills). Look at the Stations tab, the skills highlighted at each station are the ones that the officer is able to use at that station.
Career Officer
# 10 Boff Promote
11-28-2012, 10:01 AM
I have no idea why you can't promote your Boffs - however it may not fix the problem you are encountering, can you give a pic of your bridge officer layout (stations)? Certain stations only allow certain skills, like Ensign stations will only give ensign skills, and so forth up the chain.