Lt. Commander
# 11
08-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise-D View Post
Sorry, but do you really think that they would just put a block on the terminals and not on the network itself when some illegal activity has been discovered? If that is really what they have done, then their security team should get fired.
Security team? It's a school network. The entire IT support staff is a couple guys. Those people all believe Microsoft's claims about how group policy lockdown is the way to secure things. They're doing exactly what the Microsoft training courses tell you to do (while all the sysadmins are sitting in the back row and trying not to cringe).

Yes, I do believe that they would act the same way as all the other school networks. Incompetence is the norm here.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
Security team? It's a school network. The entire IT support staff is a couple guys. Those people all believe Microsoft's claims about how group policy lockdown is the way to secure things. They're doing exactly what the Microsoft training courses tell you to do (while all the sysadmins are sitting in the back row and trying not to cringe).

Yes, I do believe that they would act the same way as all the other school networks. Incompetence is the norm here.
Maybe they are doing that where you come from, but here in Norway they make the blocks in the network firewall...not to mention that most schools here have switched to Mac and Linux, the universities here use Linux as primary OS with the option to connect to a virtual environment that runs Windows and all their main servers are Linux/Unix based. They provide every student with a CD copy of Ubuntu (or other Linux distribution) and also has some classes on how to use it for the ones that has never used the OS before.

Why they run Linux? It's allot cheaper (free), safe from malware (no antivirus needed), easy to setup, most software is free and easy to get and it's compatible to all hardware you may wish to connect to it (you may have to write the driver on your own though)

The firewalls are either hardware based or software (Linux/Unix) based depending what they are securing.
For the schools it's a little different, there you have an internal firewall that is placed on the outgoing and incoming connections and then you have an external firewall at a center where all the local school's traffic goes through for additional filtering.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-08-2010, 01:24 AM
No College would allow a student to install a multi gig game on their computer. If your computer has a wireless card you can go to the IT guys and have them hook your computer into their network. Probably can be done with a hard line as well, but i only have experience with wireless at college. He is probably using his own computer and has it hooked up to the college's network.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
The problem is that he's using somebody else's computer (the school's), does not have administrative access to it, and does not have sufficient access privileges to run the game.

The solution is to use his own computer.
I dont think your right. My school has internet access (wi-fi) and I use my laptop while on campus. So unless he actually said somewhere that he is using a school pc, you have just broken the ASS-umption rule.
Empire Veteran
# 15
11-28-2012, 05:50 AM
He could always simply use his own computer, with a cellular internet connection. Thereby bypassing both the computer-lockdown issues AND network lockdown issues.
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
11-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestfox View Post
He could always simply use his own computer, with a cellular internet connection. Thereby bypassing both the computer-lockdown issues AND network lockdown issues.
you DO know that this was over 2 years ago right?

i really wish i knew WHY people go about rezzing dead threads....

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p