Career Officer
# 41
11-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomace View Post
I've read Dan's veiled accusation, that the new changes have come in because only a small amount of people tested season 7 on Tribble and they had to wait to get better metrics.

I think most people don't believe that anyway and it was an extremely poor excuse of getting caught and having to backtrack, however I digress.

So, why don't all you people who purport to love this game, not test it? Do you think you should be paid?

For me, I think you should be paid (yes paid) in Zen or Dil, by the hour to test their stuff. I don't believe it's the players job to do it, however if it's needed (which it looks like it is), then shouldn't you be paid (and I don't mean a meaningless pet).

What about a free ship?
Personally I think dstahl is full of ****. "Oh there weren't enough players on Tribble so we couldn't get the data we needed......blah blah blah". YOU CAN'T GO BY YOUR STUPID DATA ONLY. FFS use some damn common sense Cryptic.

Players were very vocal about the changes and costs of the reputation system and stuff as soon as season 7 went to the test server. But did they listen? NO! Instead of using their common sense that "maybe the players are right and the costs are too high" they relied on ONE source of information.

GOD! It's like someone told them "I don't think it's a good idea to stab me with that knife" and they stab you anyway then turn around and say "Oh. Sorry. I didn't know what the effects would be in stabbing you until I actually did it".

And I think the only reason they made changes such as reducing the time for the rep XP projects to 20 hours and cutting down the amount of commodities was because they most likely had a lot of players rage quit and cancel their subs. If it wasn't for that they probably would have left things the way they were.

Would I test things on Tribble for money? No. But that's because I have no interest in being a payed beta tester.

"What about a free ship?" Was this some sort of joke? They haven't even announced what the season 7 test reward will be or when it is coming. I spent 4 hours bored as hell on New Romulus that weekend just for the free item, and also because I've never tested new content in an MMO before. And when I say bored as hell I mean I was bored with the daily missions there 5 minutes after I started. I've only done it ONCE since it went live because of how boring it is. If I need Romulan marks I would rather do the daily instances unlocked with reputation tiers or PVE queues. I would only do the transporter mission on other characters so I could get around the map quicker if I needed to.

Hail your new Overlord!
Career Officer
# 42
11-28-2012, 02:26 PM
I go on Tribble and test new features every time they are released and I'm not paid to do so. This is a game, a free to play game at that, you can't expect to be paid for testing. It's nice enough that we always get a little free token of gratitude.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Republic Veteran
# 43
11-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Give me free zen to test on tribble...yes I would test.
Starfleet Veteran
# 44
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
In Dilithium as a time based reward yes

Tribble is only good for a sneak peak and as a pre-patch tool
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Commander
# 45
11-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybone13 View Post
Players were very vocal about the changes and costs of the reputation system and stuff as soon as season 7 went to the test server. But did they listen? NO! Instead of using their common sense that "maybe the players are right and the costs are too high" they relied on ONE source of information.
Is this your first MMO by any chance? I ask because players are always very vocal to systems that seem expensive or have massive changes to the way things are done. Case in point from a former Cryptic game CoH, Issue 6, Enhancement Diversification.

Enhancement Diversification (ED) introduced diminishing returns to CoH, prior to ED players were just loading in 6 Damage Enhancements into their dps powers, Heal enhancements into healing powers and resist/defence enhancements into defensive powers ect. ect. ignoring Accuracy, Energy Reduction and other enhancements. This meant that although they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, when they did they hit hard.

ED changed this by making it so that if you had more than 3/4 enhancements in a power, the amount you got back for the extras was heavily reduced, meaning that now they needed a more balanced set of enhancements to maintain things the way they were before.

The playerbase was up in arms over the issue, both for the reduction of their power and for the cost it would take to purchase the extra new enhancements to balance out their powers, it was the most controversial addition to the game since launch and several high profile players quit over it, but Cryptic stuck to their guns on this one, saying that it would make for a better play experience overall. Because of how they felt about ED many players refused to test I6 at all.

A few months following I6 after people had time to adjust and change their enhancements around to get the most out of their powers, people were admitting that it was a better play experience and made for some better builds than pre-ED.

So as the above example shows, the reason that they ignore the playerbase over actual data for this sort of thing is because the playerbase more often than not turns out to be wrong.

This phenomena also happens to be the reason for my sig.
Career Officer
# 46
11-28-2012, 11:08 PM
the thing is, cryptic has become reactive instead of proactive. they've become a bunch of lazy incompetent idgits that wait for us to point out stuff that's broken. After the last update, people were only able to log on for a few seconds to a couple of minutes before being kicked, and I'm quite sure it was a mad scramble at cryptic to sort it out.

This kinda thing has become standard practice for them. They need to learn to test and debug their stuff in house before unleashing it on us. Again, I'll say it, I didn't give them money so I could play test their crap. People are still getting 1 shot by uber invisible torps, and they've yet to fix it. A little testing before hand could have avoided that.

I'm personally sick and tired of the weekly patch typically followed by the "OOPS WE SCREWED UP" emergency maintenance. If these developers were really worth their salt, they'd test it before they released it. It's not fair to us and I'm sure they would like (for a change) to release an update and not have to go back and fix whatever they broke.
Lieutenant
# 47
11-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomace View Post
I've read Dan's veiled accusation, that the new changes have come in because only a small amount of people tested season 7 on Tribble and they had to wait to get better metrics.

I think most people don't believe that anyway and it was an extremely poor excuse of getting caught and having to backtrack, however I digress.

So, why don't all you people who purport to love this game, not test it? Do you think you should be paid?

For me, I think you should be paid (yes paid) in Zen or Dil, by the hour to test their stuff. I don't believe it's the players job to do it, however if it's needed (which it looks like it is), then shouldn't you be paid (and I don't mean a meaningless pet).

What about a free ship?
There is no point in testing on Tribble since they have proven time and again to not listen to tester's feedback.
Career Officer
# 48
11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Yeah, that's becoming rather infamous. Too many times I see feedback get ignored and then they end up fixing after it goes live, to exactly or very similarly to what those testers suggested.

But when it comes to Testing, when I see significant or important changes, I will go on and test (even if there is no reward). And when there is major changes, I will leave my feedback for everything I can possibilty think of - good or bad.

However, when it comes to Tribble Weekends, people are there for the reward with only a fraction giving viable feedback (which is probably what Dstahl was really refering to).

As for the OP's suggestion to pay testers, it will be the same thing. Cryptic just needs to ask people from the various cliques in STO and gather viable information.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Empire Veteran
# 49
12-07-2012, 06:26 PM
"Paying" testers works for me. When the reward is a tribble, I spend an hour or two. When the reward is on the scale they gave for testing the DOff system and F2P, I spend much more time.
Lieutenant
# 50
12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I went to the testserver for 2 reasons:

1. To learn about the new content in order to know how it works when it goes live.
2. To get that suprise gift

I was satisfied with 1.) and I think I got a headstart out of it, but I kinda was disapointed with the 2.).
I kinda knew it would be a tribble but I had hoped there would be something like a DOff too because I know I would use the tribble very much, that it only would be another bank space gone.