Survivor of Romulus
# 31
11-28-2012, 07:54 AM
no contest: "The Wounded" is the best Trek episode ever IMO.

It deals with far-reaching political intrigue, several very human and personal issues and heavy stuff like prejudice (I know Gene didn't like things like that, but I think it far more likely that humans will always harbor prejudices), and the lingering after effects of war, something that we often as a society shy away from.

It introduced the Cardassians, one of my favorite races.

It has the warden from Shawshank Redemption, that guy is money in the bank.

It was just about the first starring episode for Colm Meaney and he knocked it out of the park.

But most of all because of that scene between the two. They start singing and the camera just slowly pans around them, no cutting away. Then they stop and the song starts up very feint in the background music and you see Maxwell come to the realization of everything he's done and everything he is, just with a look. Man it makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. That's just absolute perfection in drama, acting, writing, sound design, set design. Everything comes together in that scene.

And to top it off, Picard's "We'll be watching" to Gul Macet at the end. Picard ain't no fool.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Career Officer
# 32
11-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
no contest: "The Wounded" is the best Trek episode ever IMO. It deals with far-reaching political intrigue, several very human and personal issues and heavy stuff like prejudice (I know Gene didn't like things like that, but I think it far more likely that humans will always harbor prejudices), and the lingering after effects of war, something that we often as a society shy away from.

But most of all because of that scene between the two. They start singing and the camera just slowly pans around them, no cutting away. Then they stop and the song starts up very feint in the background music and you see Maxwell come to the realization of everything he's done and everything he is, just with a look. Man it makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. That's just absolute perfection in drama, acting, writing, sound design, set design. Everything comes together in that scene.

And to top it off, Picard's "We'll be watching" to Gul Macet at the end. Picard ain't no fool.
You are misreading the scene.

Someone once observed, "There are times when the end justifies the means. But when you build an argument based on a whole series of such times, you may find that you've constructed an entire philosophy of evil."

That is the point of the scene. Maxwell liked that military life gave him a sense of purpose and camaraderie, and he couldn't give that up. In assuming that what was necessary was good in its own right, he became an agent of evil.

People today lack moral courage, and they easily argue that the evils they choose to partake in - militarism, greed, "us-versus-them" - are good because they are inevitable. An entire philosophy of evil based on a single faulty premise.

This is also why so many people find the "Hogan's Heroes" world of DS9/ENT less disturbing than TNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I believe it was stated somewhere in Voyager that they don't just assimilate cultures with useful tech/biology, they also assimilate cultures who pose a threat. The Queen said in "Dark Frontier" that humans were unremarkable, but they were dangerous. Hence their backup plan to go back in time and eliminate the threat before it started.
By that logic, the Kazon received the ultimate diss. One wonders how they feel about that.

Last edited by aestu; 11-28-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Captain
# 33
11-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post

Someone once observed, "There are times when the end justifies the means. But when you build an argument based on a whole series of such times, you may find that you've constructed an entire philosophy of evil."

That is the point of the scene. Maxwell liked that military life gave him a sense of purpose and camaraderie, and he couldn't give that up. In assuming that what was necessary was good in its own right, he became an agent of evil.

People today lack moral courage, and they easily argue that the evils they choose to partake in - militarism, greed, "us-versus-them" - are good because they are inevitable. An entire philosophy of evil based on a single faulty premise.

This is also why so many people find the "Hogan's Heroes" world of DS9/ENT less disturbing than TNG.
And with the way television and film are headed these days, the last time I was emotionally moved by something on tv will continue to be back in 2006. I want my intelligent philosophical Sci-Fi back! Enough of this dark broody wank material, or bright and shiny explosion filled tit fest wank material. Where's the stuff like "Inner Light"? That episode made stupid sugar and cartoon fueled 8 year old me cry. And it still does.

Not a single shot fired, the Science Fiction is barely there, but without it, the whole plot couldn't work. The theme of family, friends, life, love, loss, and the value of a mans life is a beautiful message, and one that is forgone in favor of ****, explosions, and one-liners these days. Truly a tragedy.

Quote:
By that logic, the Kazon received the ultimate diss. One wonders how they feel about that.
Probably how they feel about everything.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Survivor of Romulus
# 34
11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
I don't think so. I simply read it differently from the way you do. There's room for more than one interpretation of pretty much anything, especially Star Trek.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 35
11-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Only one mention of Darmok?

For shame...
Starfleet Veteran
# 36
11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
No one's mentioned "Way of the Warrior" and "Trials and Tribble-ations" yet?!?!?

Those two are my favorite Star Trek Episodes of all time, partly because of some of the epic dialogue.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Ensign
# 37
11-29-2012, 11:44 PM
I think for me my favorite episode is Mirror,Mirror from TOS. It is one of the reasons I play this game. Being able to have the mirror universe or Terran Empire costumes and ships. I just love the concept of parallel worlds. I have read DC Comics all my life and they use the concept as well. Because of this episode we got the episode In a mirror darkly which is tied with mirror mirror as my favorite. A close second would be "United" the second part of a 3 part story on ENT. Where humans vulcans tellarites and Andorrans work together and is a precursor to the federation. But there are so many episodes of star trek I know I would leave too many great episodes from each series out.
Captain
# 38
11-30-2012, 12:40 AM
I would say all the ToS episodes and DS9 since it is based on station not a ship.I like the way Kirk and Sisko are much the same.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Captain
# 39
11-30-2012, 03:44 AM
The Best of both worlds for me.

It was the story that got me into Star Trek, first ever episodes I ever watched.
Patrick Stewart's performance as Locutus was terrifyingly good