Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 11
11-28-2012, 10:42 PM
In my experience, Disruptors parse higher than Antiproton. Especially if you use torpedos or mines.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,201
# 12
11-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
In my experience, Disruptors parse higher than Antiproton. Especially if you use torpedos or mines.
If the target is near or at the resistance debuff cap (FoMM and Attack Pattern Beta3 will easily hit this), then Antiproton will outdamage Disruptors. Disruptor breach only has a 2.5% proc-chance, while Antiproton scales upwards with increased critical hit rate.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 13
11-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
If the target is near or at the resistance debuff cap (FoMM and Attack Pattern Beta3 will easily hit this), then Antiproton will outdamage Disruptors. Disruptor breach only has a 2.5% proc-chance, while Antiproton scales upwards with increased critical hit rate.

That assumes the target is at the debuff cap. The actual uptime on capped debuffs are quite low. So while spike damage on a fully buffed alpha w/ antiproton is undoubtedly higher, it seems like Disruptors just comes out ahead in the long run.

While the proc chances are low, the actual uptime on Disruptor procs are pretty high. Largely because it lasts 15 seconds as opposed to the 5 seconds most procs last. Also, there is some evidence that the disruptor debuff is more significant when when paired with disruptor damage, along the line of -30; as compared to the -10 it is with other energy types.

On top of that, you can combine Disuptor procs w/ other procs on hybrid weapons, something that Antiproton lacks up to this point. Polarized Disruptors and the new Romulan weapons are quite potent.

Last edited by xantris; 11-28-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,201
# 14
11-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
That assumes the target is at the debuff cap. The actual uptime on capped debuffs are quite low. So while spike damage on a fully buffed alpha w/ antiproton is undoubtedly higher, it seems like Disruptors just comes out ahead in the long run.

While the proc chances are low, the actual uptime on Disruptor procs are pretty high. Largely because it lasts 15 seconds as opposed to the 5 seconds most procs last. Also, there is some evidence that the disruptor debuff is more significant when when paired with disruptor damage, along the line of -30; as compared to the -10 it is with other energy types.

On top of that, you can combine Disuptor procs w/ other procs on hybrid weapons, something that Antiproton lacks up to this point. Polarized Disruptors and the new Romulan weapons are quite potent when combined together.
I agree with most of what you're saying. However, I can keep a target at the debuff cap for 20 seconds (FOMM + AP-Beta3 + 3 AP conn DOFF's), or 5 seconds if the target uses tactical team. The biggest issue with disruptor breach is its low proc-rate percentage, making it an unreliable mechanic for coordinated alpha strikes.

Disruptors work well for Sci and Engineer captains, but Tactical Captains can crank up their critical hit rates to really exploit Antiproton's bonus critical severity, and it will only get better as the player gains increased critical hit rates via Omega and Romulan faction rep space skills.

Last edited by shar487a; 11-28-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 15
11-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
I agree with most of what you're saying. However, I can keep a target at the debuff cap for 20 seconds (FOMM + AP-Beta3 + 3 AP conn DOFF's), or 5 seconds if the target uses tactical team. The biggest issue with disruptor breach is its low proc-rate percentage, making it an unreliable mechanic for coordinated alpha strikes.

Disruptors work well for Sci and Engineer captains, but Tactical Captains can crank up their critical hit rates to really exploit Antiproton's bonus critical severity, and it will only get better as the player gains increased critical hit rates via Omega and Romulan faction rep space skills.


For 20 seconds of every 160 seconds.

Everything your saying makes sense, I know because I originally came to the same conclusion, and I have a full set of Antiproton fleet weapons as a result of it. The difference is simply that the parses didn't match expectations. I consistently got better results from Polarized Disruptors.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,201
# 16
11-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
For 20 seconds of every 160 seconds.

Everything your saying makes sense, I know because I originally came to the same conclusion, and I have a full set of Antiproton fleet weapons as a result of it. The difference is simply that the parses didn't match expectations. I consistently got better results from Polarized Disruptors.
I can see why polarized disruptors can out-dps antiproton over a long period since both procs reduce the target's effective resistance. Disruptors drop all resists -10 for 15 sec, and Polaron's power drain reduces current shield resistances. In simple terms, both procs should out-pace antiproton's extra crit-severity so long as critical hit chances stay at normal levels.

The big unknown is what will happen as base critical hit chances rise due to new equipment (Tachyokinetic consoles, Zero Point Energy Conduit, etc) and Omega + Romulan Faction rep passive crit-bonuses enter the scene.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 17
11-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
I can see why polarized disruptors can out-dps antiproton over a long period since both procs reduce the target's effective resistance. Disruptors drop all resists -10 for 15 sec, and Polaron's power drain reduces current shield resistances. In simple terms, both procs should out-pace antiproton's extra crit-severity so long as critical hit chances stay at normal levels.

The big unknown is what will happen as base critical hit chances rise due to new equipment (Tachyokinetic consoles, Zero Point Energy Conduit, etc) and Omega + Romulan Faction rep passive crit-bonuses enter the scene.
I have the tachyokentic and the Romulan 3%. The differences isn't end up being terrible significant.

To be clear though, the total damage difference between either energy type isn't significant at all. Your talking 1-2% at most

Last edited by xantris; 11-29-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 242
# 18
11-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
antiproton is best in stfs and on escorts in any situation. tetryons is best on damage over time cruisers in pvp, provided you max out flow capacitors, that buffs it's and polaron's proc. tetryon's proc is best used against other players, and not hit point sponge npcs
I completlt disagree with you how about desruptor. -10%defence with damage mods that 10% goes up so yeah desruptor>AP
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,899
# 19
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
Talk about both thread necromancy AND slanted number crunching!

If you are going to compare different energy weapon type performances, you can't introduce a non-native set bonus to only of the one weapon types being compared and still expect an accurate conclusion.

Let's use your above example of 100 x 1k dmg Antiproton vs. 100 x 1k dmg Polaron damage, 11% critical hit rate, 60 critical severity, but now add Omega set Tetryon Glider to AP to compare against the Jem'Hadar set + Polarons:

Antiproton:
-non-critical hits -- 89 shots * 1k dmg / shot = 89000
-critical hits 11 shots * 1.9k dmg / shot = 20990
...initial total = 109990
-Omega 2-set Tetryon Shield Drain = 39 / shield facing * 4 shields * 100 shots = +15600 shield damage

final damage total = 125590


Polaron:
-non-critical hits -- 89 shots * 1k dmg / shot = 89000
-critical hits 11 shots * 1.6 = 17600
...initial total = 106600
-Bonus Jem'Hadar 8% damage multiplier = +8528

final damage damage = 115128


Yes, Polaron with the Jem'Hadar + Polaron set will output higher damage against non-shielded targets, but against shielded opponents, Antiproton + Tetryon Glider wins, especially while the target has tactical team active.

Also factor in that Jem'Hadar Engines are Combat Impulse (slowest impulse engine type available), and the Jem'Hadar Shields have very low capacity (5.3k on my Mobius Destroyer) -- then you realize that you turn your ship into a slow, brittle egg shell while these are equipped.

If you take the sets out of the comparison, Antiproton wins in all cases.
This thread is a pretty big necro, but... You're wrong. CI engines are only slow when you don't feed energy into them. Just like hyper-impulse engines suck on low energy levels, and the regulars are only good for normal power.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,201
# 20
11-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
This thread is a pretty big necro, but... You're wrong. CI engines are only slow when you don't feed energy into them. Just like hyper-impulse engines suck on low energy levels, and the regulars are only good for normal power.
Combat impulse engines are only efficient at low power levels but have rapid diminishing returns as you crank engine impulse power levels up. As a result, they have considerably lower top speeds compared to standard and hyper-impulse engines. Furthermore, combat-optimized captain builds usually run maxxed war core efficiecy, warp core potential, and impulse thrusters, thereby allowing them to max out speed, defense, weapon power, etc. They operate at high base-power levels that directly optimize standard and hyper-impulse engine velocities. Combat Impulse engines bleed off most of this extra power rather than using it for more speed.

I made the mistake of using combat impulse engines when I was starting out in STO. If I had to retreat, enemy players had no problems running down and finishing me off. Once I switched over to hyper-impulse engines, I started getting accused of "hacking" the game when I placed 25km+ distance in under 3 seconds flat when redirected power to engines and popped an engine battery.

If you want to race my escort with your combat-impulse equipped ship, I'll be happy to arrange a demonstration.

Last edited by shar487a; 11-29-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:14 PM.